Author Topic: The Personal Triumph Thread  (Read 34295 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Re: The Personal Triumph Thread
« Reply #525 on: April 30, 2017, 10:00:02 pm »
I have a stone for pizzas and it's fantastic.  Good work on the baked goods, Gauph.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #526 on: April 30, 2017, 10:29:51 pm »
I have a stone for pizzas and it's fantastic.  Good work on the baked goods, Gauph.

Truly the advent of stone is the great discovery of the 21st century.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #527 on: May 04, 2017, 09:39:39 am »
Haven't been using my phone for almost a month now. Officially canceled it today.

Triumph.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: May 04, 2017, 01:46:05 pm »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: May 04, 2017, 04:54:51 pm »
I handed in the last assignment of my undergrad today.

I'm basically no longer a student and am now funderemployed until my internship starts in september. Feels GOOOOOOOOOOOODman.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: May 17, 2017, 11:00:16 am »
Did you have your graduation ceremony by now?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: May 17, 2017, 01:09:22 pm »
It's at the end of June but I'm not gonna go because none of my family are in the country and I'm graduating out of step with the rest of the people I started studying with so there's not much point. I'll attend my graduation when/if I get a masters and/or a PhD.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: May 17, 2017, 01:25:33 pm »
Oh. I suppose that's chill, I didn't sit through my entire university ceremony, either.

What's the outlook looking like two weeks in? Is the internship relevant to your field? (does it pay?)
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: May 17, 2017, 01:32:53 pm »
It starts in September, it is relevant (Market Research for the Uni) and it pays (minimum wage but what are you gonna do, right?) and it lasts a year so I'm very happy I got it.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 18, 2017, 02:24:15 am »
Started doing a Saturday market a couple weeks ago, broke $2k gross between market and store in a day, pretty neat for us as that's a first!

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 18, 2017, 04:29:08 am »
Erops makin it rain with that cookie dough.

What's your secret formula? Mix meth directly into the dough or do you sprinkle it on afterwards?

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 18, 2017, 10:17:46 am »
Butter sugar and love?  Maybe a dash of Meth, just a liiiiiiiiiiitle bit after we bake to give it that crystal shine

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #537 on: June 29, 2017, 11:31:38 pm »
Quit my job today. I see this as a triumph because that place made me want to kill myself. Shift work is unhealthy, but even when you start at the same time going in to that place meant a lot of needless extra work and stress to get organized before you can begin. It meant you had no idea what you were walking into each day because you'd constantly be moved around. It meant being confused and frustrated because you were expected to pick up slack. No pats on the back. No bonuses. No incentives.
Absolutely purposeless grind.

Work there and you'd get stuck at a position where all you do is one thing several thousand times for eight hours. And I mean ONE thing. One motion, one action. Over and over. I used to not mind but now I do apparently. Severely. But I'm a different person than I used to be so whatever.

So where I go from here I don't know. I don't care either. Last time I quit that place I was in a panic. Definitely a depressive crisis and I should have sought help. Instead I did something rash and it caused me trouble down the line.
This time I called the crisis hotline, calmed down, gave one week's notice, talked about stuff with family and friends... and I came to the conclusion that the major reason for my depressive episodes was 100% that workplace so I had absolutely no choice but to ditch.
It's not the work. It's not getting up in the morning and eating boring peanut butter sandwiches. It's not the stress of physical labor. I feel confident that I could sign on at just about any other workplace, do my best, work hard, and not feel like I might as well be a walking corpse. And if a workplace is not for me then I can move on.

It feels like I have more clarity this time. And that's nice.
Don't get me wrong. I'm still spooked. But when I walked out of that place today, my last day, I felt nothing. I felt normal.
And that's good enough.

It was a really ****ing stressful day though. Son of a bitch. If there was any doubt in my mind at all when I got there that morning it was erased once I started work.
Such a complete embarrassment.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 30, 2017, 12:31:14 am »
Wow glad you're feeling better, glad your stressful day is behind you

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 30, 2017, 01:23:20 am »
Good job! Now you can spend your time writing the great american canadian novel webcomic