Poll

How do you feel about the post-release apperance? (2 choices)

Enthusiastic
Pessimistic
Uninterested
I like this FPS take on the old RTS.
I think they changed it too much.
I never heard of the original Syndicate before now.

Author Topic: Syndicate (2012)  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Syndicate (2012)
« on: September 30, 2011, 10:57:12 am »
Anybody remember the old RTS game?

It turns out, they're re-imagining the game as an FPS, and it's release is currently chalked up to February 2012. Oh, and there is up to 4-player cooperative, apparently. As somebody said in the comments of it's Announce Trailer : "The audio/visual editing crew just sold millions of copies of this game outright. They're probably due for a raise." :

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwtznVkSxA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewwtznVkSxA</a>

Now lets just hope Origins isn't mandatory. I already had to give up on the idea of BF3 due to Origin's horrible EULA.
Discuss!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:58:47 am by Uroboros »

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
Re: Syndicate (2012)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 11:12:34 am »
I hear that the main character's name is "Miles Kilo".
I laughed but then I fell ill.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 12:13:20 pm »
This is like them 'reimagining' X-Com as an FPS. It is just nostalgia-mining.

Except this one also gets to cash in on the revived interest in Deus Ex.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:28:11 pm »
The thread over in General lauds facebook games as the death of videogaming, I say it's going to be all these bloody FPS games. Enough of them already.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 03:37:16 pm »
Well that goes back to the core point that we are at fault for the "death" of videogames.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 03:56:43 pm »
Truth be told, I didn't like the original Syndicate much, though when I see things like this, I get hopeful for the level of immersion. Much like the XCOM FPS, it isn't the viewpoint, but the style and content of the game that counts. Although from what i've seen of the XCOM game so far, suggests that it really isn't an XCOM game as much as it is some other game with an old title slapped onto it to draw people's initial attention. That isn't to say that an XCOM FPS couldn't really work.

These games are looked upon with such disdain because of how often they just turn into simmering pools of mediocre gorn. Any game genre or theme can be a base, rehashed skeleton of a game. Look at games like FEAR (or in my opinion, HL2). Too often, they take few good things, wrap it in a nice atmosphere/theme, and then squeeze in as much empty filler-calories as they can. Sometimes you don't have to break a mould or explore a rarely used gaming subtype/genre to come up with something good. You just need a fun experience that isn't just a cop-out money-harvesting attempt. True brilliance and originality is rare in most fields. Just give us a story worth remembering or enough genuine fun, and a game is then worthwhile.

Though, don't we have already have a seperate thread for this kind of discussion?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 03:58:53 pm by Uroboros »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 04:03:35 pm »
I think Sam's main point was that this is a BS re-imagining of Syndiate, just like the re-imagining of X-COM is pretty much BS and as Spoony would put it, "A BETRAYAL TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL!!!"