Author Topic: Age of Empires. 3.  (Read 11485 times)

Offline Greyleaf

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
Age of Empires. 3.
« on: March 27, 2005, 09:38:18 pm »
Wow.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2005, 09:57:33 pm by Greyleaf »

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
Re: Age of Empires. 3.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 09:59:45 pm »
yes it looks good.
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Scipion

• Stargate Superstar
  • Returned from the grave, now with more immunities!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 10:11:33 pm »
Hmm, I hope it plays just as good.
-Just like Gaming Steve all of my ideas, suggestions, and comments are merely edjucated guesses. These are based on prior experience and current released info.-

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 11:25:59 pm »
Those are SCREENSHOTS?!

Wow.

Have to admit though, the only other thing I've liked about the AoE series was that cheat that made a Dodge Viper with a rocket launcher or something :D Ah, the good old days.
+++"Sometimes, when I look into the abyss, the abyss looks back" - [tmo]+++

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 01:28:29 am »
I'm a long term veteran of the Age of Empires series, and i must admit that this looks to be the worst one of them all.  They seem to be drifting away from what makes the games great - simplicity and gameplay value.  Plus it's in the most boring period in history after the World Wars (i fall asleep in those games).  Pretty screenshots and overheating my graphics card won't make me buy this game after the debacle that was "The Titans expansion pack" - that ruined Age of Mythology for me, which was a game i loved... it was so balanced before they brought out that Xpack, totally destroyed the game.

Offline Greyleaf

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 05:25:29 pm »
I have to agree I'm certianly not a huge fan of the time period, but it looks like they did a decent job interpreting it to me. My only real dissapointment was that they aren't including Asian empires, which were my favorite to play. Maybe they'll put them in an Xpac.
98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Offline Tarious

• Adventure Ace
  • FINISH HIM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 05:38:23 pm »
Was it nessacary to post EVERY damn picture.

A link would of been nice.

On topic the problem I'm seeing is its going to be gun based which I'm hoping not, but it may lose the gameplay fun that AoE2 had.

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 08:05:18 pm »
I may be interested in the game if they streamline resource gathering a tiny bit.

I've fallen asleep so many times watching pesants etc. chipping away at piles of rock only to find out I need 2000 more gold, iron, food and houses.

Offline Lord Janos

• Wizardry Whiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2005, 01:37:40 am »
Yes gun-based RTS games are never the best.  Give me a sword, spear and arrows or some lasers, shrink rays or photon cannons, please!  Don't meet halfway with guns... which hold no purpose whatsoever.

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 09:52:01 pm »
Yes gun-based RTS games are never the best.  Give me a sword, spear and arrows or some lasers, shrink rays or photon cannons, please!  Don't meet halfway with guns... which hold no purpose whatsoever.

So then what do you think of the upcomming Empire Earth II? Does a game like that interest you Janos?
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline Zealousy

• Wizard of Wor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 10:25:46 pm »
Does an RTS have to have base-building, because I thought Ground Control was tons of fun because it had guns. ;D
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.
- Will Shriner

Offline bselig

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 10:41:35 pm »
Always love the promo shots of the Age of games, where everything is precisely placed to make up a awesome period scene or orderly set piece battle.  Whereas when I get in control, the towns are unwieldy sprawls and the battles masses of guys falling into eachother(though the ranged-based combat should make them look prettier this time no matter how much I suck).

Offline krjal

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 01:52:15 am »
Ground Control was a miracle of PC gaming. I still can't believe the travesty of number 2.

As to guns, if they're done in the right way guns can equal style rather than...boredom.

Offline DevilMachine

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Defender of the Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 02:01:19 am »
command & conquer was a great rts series, when the first one came out my dad brought it for me (which was a very rare occurance) and he played it more than me!

i liked c&c better than the age of.. games

Offline lemurbouy

• Defender Devotee
  • oh my...
    • View Profile
    • Leeman's Livejournal!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 08:11:53 am »
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds did a decent job incorporating guns as the primary weapon using the Age of... engine.  I loved AoE2 and SWGB and I'm interested to see how this one goes.  Trains always intrigue me...  -leeman