Author Topic: Dark Days: A Zombie RP  (Read 9348 times)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
Dark Days: A Zombie RP
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:28:09 am »
It wasn't really clear when The Outbreak started.  It wasn't known who Patient Zero was, where they were, or what happened.  With the world falling apart, survival was more important to pretty much everyone left.

What was known was that it had been nearly a month since The Outbreak had hit Memphis.  The same thing happened there as pretty much every other city.  Law enforcement and emergency services dissapeared.  Power and communications went down.  Most of the population was infected, turned to shambling husks, wandering the streets.  But pockets of survivors remained, doing everything they could to make it through what seemed to be the end of the world.

The sun sank low over the Memphis skyline.  On the edge of downtown a loudspeaker system crackled to life.  A recording of bells echoed across the mostly empty college campus, announcing the time as three o'clock.

"Hello Memphis!"  A deep voice rumbled through the speakers.  "No, it ain't three o'clock.  Exact time doesn't matter much these days.  What does matter is that the sun's going down soon.  Thank the Lord for Memphis heat, even on the first of September it's so hot the even dead won't walk around.  But once it cools off those zombies are gonna start looking for fresh meat.  If you can hear my voice and need a safe place to spend the night, head for Harper Chapel in the middle of the University.  Zombies haven't gotten to us yet.  Get here quick as you can, follow the signs, and watch your step.  Keep safe out there!"

Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Dark Days: A Zombie RP
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 03:03:44 pm »
Two re-purposed SWAT vans rumbled down Poplar Avenue, one of the main streets in Memphis. Behind them, the Memphis skyline gleamed against the sunset, washing out almost any trace of the smoke or fire that had consumed much of it. In the other direction a graying sky was pocked with columns of black smoke. Amidst it was a tall steeple which marked the center of the University. The cross at the top was awash in white light, something the people had done soon after The Outbreak began.

Arthur Tuleget eyed it for a moment, though only to make sure the lights were still on. He wasn't so keen on the religious element gaining such momentum just because society had crumbled and the world was in shambles. Not that he was surprised, of course religion is going to pick up when there's nothing else to cling to. Still, Arthur was a bit put-off by the whole affair. The way he saw it, as soon as you stopped believing in yourself, you were toast. His train of thought was interrupted as a young couple burst onto the road in front of him. He swerved to avoid them and the small convoy came to a halt. Before Arthur could even turn around to see what had happened, gunfire erupted and the woman riding shotgun was urging him on. Without hesitating, Arthur floored it and the convoy raced onward. Spying the sign for the University, Arthur let out a breath and turned to his copilot.

"What's the word?"

"We got both of them. Looks like they're fine. Had a couple zombies chasing them, though. Nothing we couldn't handle."

"Okay... good. Oh, hey... don't use that word."

"Huh? What? 'Zombie'? Is this really the time to be arguing semantics, Art?"

"I... er... whatever. We're almost there." Arthur mumbled, picking up a CB that was broadcasting to one of the major survivor channels. "Harper Chapel do you read? This is convoy six reporting. We're within spitting distance. Got two newbies on board. No losses. Unless we run into trouble expect us there in ten. Out."

"Aren't you supposed to be a politician? Why so glum? It's only the end of the world!"

Arthur turned to the woman in the passenger seat as if to say something, but simply smiled and laughed a bit.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:06:30 am »
This day seemed to have mixed luck for Gus Harrison. First, he found a mildly attractive girl right around his age while scrummaging for material in town. They had struck up a conversation and agreed to stick together for the day. Then Harrison's luck had turned and a large number of zombies forced them to run helter skelter through the town before almost being run over by two vans. And just like that, Harrison seemed to have luck rolling on his side as he wrapped his arm around the girl's shoulder.

"What exactly are you guys?" Harrison asked the armed people in the van, hardly noticing the girl slip out from under his arm and move to the opposite side of the van. He'd worry about that later.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:03:02 am »
One of the younger people in the van looked up from cleaning his shotgun to address Harrison.

"We're part of a group of survivors operating out of Harper Chapel. All sorts of people here... I was in high school before all this stuff started. We got scientists, burger flippers, politicians... as long as you can survive, you're one of us. Not sure how long I plan on sticking around with this group, I'd like to get out of the city, personally. But for now I'm happy to help out anyone that needs a hand."

Smiling, the youth finished cleaning his weapon and cocked it.

"Just don't take our kindness for weakness. We don't discriminate between zombies and criminals."

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:21:26 am »
Meanwhile, in Baltimore, a youth peered out from the window of his tenement.

"They're still there..." he muttered to himself, trailing off as he turned to enter the apartment next door.

Returning with a miniature refrigerator, he chucked the appliance out the window onto the heads of a couple of zombies.

The school I.D. around his neck read "Michael Natron."

"Great, that was the last spare fridge. And I'm running out of chairs fast. It's a good thing route to the Harbor is clear, or I'd be in trouble. Food doesn't bring itself here, ya know?"

As Michael spoke to himself, he noticed the zombie groaning was closer that he had heard before.

He turned around to see a pair of undead fiends shambling down the hallway.

Reaching for his modified Nerf Recon CS-6, he placed two shots into each zombie, felling them.

After burning them, he took the time to notice that he was out of bullets.

"Well, Baltimore, baby," jested Michael, "it looks like I won't be seeing ya for a while."

He dashed towards the harbor, tears in his eyes and a burning building behind him.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 10:49:00 am »
There must have only been about 20 or so people hold out here at the university when Marcus arrived three weeks ago; but with 6 or 7 newbies turning up every day, the supply of zombie free living space had been dwindling. Marcus' team had been busy all day, clearing out a portion the residential halls so some of the growing number of people could be rehoused, a job that had taken nearly a week.

"Any more in there Agent Jackson?"

"Just two chief, but we got 'em"

"Well, looks like we're finally clear in here, good job boys, lets head home."

Heading out across the courtyard he heard the usual announcement blaring from the loudspeakers, and the last convoy was just returning. It was amazing the amount of organisation that had sprung up out of the anarchy here in the past month, that had been the result of strong leadership. Marcus was looking forward to getting some food and on the menu tonight was spaghetti; it hadn't been long enough for them to run out of decent food yet, but there was no certainty of how long that situation would last.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 05:02:59 am by munchkin5 »

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:29 am »
The warning seemed more like a threat in Harrison's ears, but he let it slip without bringing it back up.

"I may not know much, but I know how to use a weapon. Or at least some weapons. And I know some other things too, but they haven't been as useful since The Outbreak..." Harrison trailed off, turning around to look out the rear windows of the van. It wasn't long before he noticed more trees than usual which gave him the impression that they were moving away from city-proper and towards some place less populated. At least that's what he thought. He was from further north and wasn't too familiar with the city. In fact, he had just followed the river south and hadn't even realized he was in Tennessee until someone had told him.

"So where's this Harper Chapel?"

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:33:39 pm »
"Oh **** oh **** oh ****" Chris exclaimed as he fled from a recently turned, formerly attractive, female zombie. "Just a scrape, she says! It's nothing, she says! I just tripped, she says! I want to do this, she says!" Exiting the female restroom of the collegiate park, Chris had found himself in quite the pickle as the zombie began to gain ground after it busted down the bathroom door. Quickly, Chris reached into his satchel that held his collection of books he managed to scavenge here and there. "Shakespear? No... Huck Finn? Nah that's classic 'twain.... Ah! Here we go!" Smirking, Chris pulled out a copy of the Holy Bible that he had picked up from the local university chapel. "This outa be heavy enough."

With that Chris quickly turned around, and using the momentum of his turn, he hurled the bible as hard and accurately as he could at the fast approaching infected. With a loud THUMP, the bible smacked the infected woman in the face, knocking her to the ground. Smiling, he uttered, "Well. Thank god." He then looked around the courtyard and saw Marcus doing whatever it was his type did. He shot him the, 'did you just see that? Yeah.' look. 

Chris, knowing that most certainly didn't kill her, turned and began to head to the chapel, waving as he passed by Marcus and his crew. As he approached he noticed a group of people entering the safe house. Chris muttered under his breath, "Sigh... more people, again?" Shoving his way through the crowd he entered the chapel and sat on one of the many benches. Pulling out a book, he began to read. All the while wondering if this place was fillin to fast, and that moving may be the best solution for now. Afterall, more people just means more trouble.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 11:54:18 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 08:45:25 am »
"Oh dear." Noted one odd-looking member of the just entering convoy. He left the huddled group, approaching the downed zombie, still struggling to get back to it's feet. He drew a long, dulled-chrome handgun and put a single shot into the zombie's face, after a moment of careful aiming.
"Eugh..." He noted the splatter from the overkill .50 round. He turned back around to the group to note a group of people heading across the courtyard with weaponry, something most people didn't appear to have. He jogged over, tapping one of them on the shoulder.
"Uh, hi there. Are you guys the "guards" or some equivalent? Because if so, I just made you job one zombie easier over there." He said, pointing over his shoulder to the zombie he had finished off. "My name is Travis Kendly, I came in with the newest group of survivors. I've got a worthless Desert Eagle and this thing..." He said, unfolding the hedge-trimmer weapon he had and fitting his left arm into the spacing that braced his arm. "...which is pretty much a makeshift chainsaw of sorts. More useful for cutting objects open then zombies, but in a pinch, it works."

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:31:32 am »
Arthur hopped out of the cab of the lead vehicle in the convoy and cracked his back. Behind him, the other members of his group had begun unloading supplies and stacking them in neat rows along the wall. Patting his dirty suit jacket, Arthur found his cigarettes and lighter and lit one up. With one long drag in the vault, he walked over to the wall and lifted a crate filled with canned lima beans to be stored in one of the back rooms. Arthur had the appearance of your typical local politician. Tall enough to look competent, dark hair (that was admittedly messier than normal), and what used to be a pretty nice fitted suit. Because if you're going to get a suit, for the love of Mike, get it fitted. A few people lazily waved or mumbled hello as Arthur walked past. Anyone that was a local knew who he was, for better or for worse. People may have had a lot of things to say about Arthur, but nobody said he was lazy. He did his share of the work and helped out when he could. He'd been organizing supply and rescue convoys since the second week after The Outbreak. It was risky work but he knew the city well; plus, as a high-ranking council member, he knew where the storehouses were, as well as the keys. He took no credit for the operation around him, though. It was the amalgamation of several people's hard work. All he cared about was that it worked.

He dropped his crate of lima beans and took another long drag of his cigarette before flicking the butt into a burning barrel. Night was falling rapidly and it looked like rain.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 12:14:01 pm »
"HEY! Enough talking, get your asses inside!"   The same deep voice from the speakers came from a window on the second floor.  "Plenty of time for introductions after we're sealed up for the night."  The window closed back with a thud, followed by scrapes and clicks as it was further barricaded from the inside.

"Councilman Tuleget, good to see you back!" DeMarcus Hall said as he walked up to look over the supplies being brought in for the night.  "Good stuff, good stuff.  I think we're doing good on food right now.  I think we'll need to make another run to one of the hunting and camping stores soon, and I'd love to raid one of those fireworks stores out on the highway, but I guess it's too risky.  Another good day's work!" he said as he helped pull another crate of supplies off the van.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 12:21:22 pm »
Harrison glanced up at where the yelling had come from before looking around. This place was actually quite a nice setup, and had more people than he had seen in months. In a way it was a surprise, but a pleasant one that gave Harrison a little hope. He quickly forgot about this, though, as he headed over to a group of serious looking people who looked like they were in charge. They appeared to be heeding the deep voice's suggestion and were heading inside, which is exactly what Harrison planned to do.

As Harrison walked towards the group, he realized one of the men was wearing a suit. It was kinda odd, but it assured Harrison that he had chosen the correct people to approach.

"Hey!" he said, as he jogged slightly to cover the distance between them, "hey, how's it going? I'm new here, just got in actually," Harrison pointed to the van before continuing, "and I was wondering if I could get my hands on a weapon. Does this place have any stockpiles?"
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:58:38 pm by Josasa »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:12 pm »
"I'll check the map and see what we can find. We've had more empty storehouses today. Nothing major, they're not our property; however, we need to start working on some renewable sources. These stores aren't going to last much longer at this rate." Arthur said quietly as he lit up another cigarette. "Truth be told, I think it would be wise to move our entire operation out of the city in the coming weeks. But that's another discussion for another time..."

Arthur trailed off as one of the newcomers hailed them. Clearing his throat, he turned to see the man they'd picked up earlier.

"Ah! You're one of the two we found earlier today. Where did that girl get to? She looked pretty athletic, we need muscle..." Arthur trailed off for a second time, pondering personnel placement. "Right. Weapons are something we have a lot of. What we're lacking are qualified operators. The armory is over in the filing room, just past the kitchens. As long as you feel comfortable firing it, feel free to use it. In the meantime, use one of mine."

Reaching down to his belt, Arthur removed a medium caliber handgun and held it out.

"By the way, name's Arthur. This fellow's DeMarcus Hall, he's kind of the guy in charge here."

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:24 pm »
"Thank you very much!" Harrison said, talking the weapon from the man's hands and checking to see if the safety was on. It was. "Please to meet you both, by the way, my name's Gus. Gus Harrison." As he said this, he thumbed the magazine release, checking the ammo. Then he checked to see if there was a round already in the chamber.

"I may not be the best operator, but I do know how to handle a weapon. Somewhat... Anyway, I'll go check out that armory in a bit. I'm better with a rifle in my hands." Harrison glanced around him, noting that it would be dark earlier than normal because of the rain clouds.

"Are there a lot of zombies around this area?"

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 01:10:03 pm »
"They kind of come and go in waves." Demarcus said with a shrug.  "The area is mostly cleared of people, so there aren't too many new ones popping up.  We make a lot of noise and scents around here, but we've got decoys and trap set up that keep them busy.  More importantly, when this chapel was built it was meant to double as a bomb shelter.  Once we're sealed up for the night, we haven't had one get anywhere near getting inside.  Let's hope it stays that way.  The worse part is wiping them out in the morning and hauling them off before the heat makes them stink even more than they already do."