Author Topic: I'm Going Into The Story: The "Oh yeah, this used to be a thing" edition  (Read 5326 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Hey fellow forum-goers. Remember "I'm Going Into The Story?" Do you remember it? Because it remembers you. It remembers all about you. It remembers your face, and that thing that you did when you thought nobody was looking, but it was looking. It remembers all that stuff.

It also remembers how fun it was, and how people who don't normally RP could totally get into it, along with people who DO normally RP.

I guess what I'm saying is, I am reviving this game.

The rules are pretty much the same, though this board has made a lot of greatly productive changes since last I RPed here, so I'll try to be incorporating some of those into this set-up.
Also, this schnitzel is going to be short-form from now on, my friends. That means we're aiming to tell this story in about 10 pages or so. (If it runs a little more or a little less, that's fine.)

The main thing about this RP is that it's usually done entirely in first person form, and people can join and leave at any time, taking any unoccupied role they see fit, whether it be an existent NPC, or a new character of their own making. (You can help accomplish the goals of the majority of the people playing, or be neutral, or be antagonistic, or whatever, but make sure you're helping to move the story along. Don't just come in to muck up the story for everyone else. That'd be impolite.)

The world is built as the game progresses, though certain things may need to be worked out in the OOC thread for clarity's sake. It's important that we work with what people add to the story, so long as it doesn't negate anything that's come before. To use an improv term, say "yes and" to what what the people here write about the world they're creating. If someone says they're holding a calculator, don't suddenly tell them that: "No, you're actually holding a snake, and it's the year 1556 and calculators won't be invented for centuries, and also everyone is secretly leprechauns."  It makes it impossible to tell a story. (Many of you already know this, of course.) If there's a really huge, world changing plot twist you think would add to the story, work it out in the OOC thread before tossing it in, but otherwise, this is a relatively casual thing. You can just jump in whenever and jump out whenever...and then jump in again as someone else.

NPCs can be made to do whatever the players want them to do. Don't speak for other player-characters though. Wait for them to respond to whatever you're saying or doing. The exception to this is if it's something extremely minor or accessory (such as saying how you walked together as you went somewhere), or if a player's prolonged silence is keeping the story from moving along. If the latter is the case, people can feel free to treat that character as an NPC until the person playing him or her returns.

To enter as a character, say "I'm Going Into The Story."
To stop playing as that character say "I'm exiting the story"
You can then re-enter as whatever open or new character you want.

Be forewarned though, if you leave, your original character becomes an NPC and will be left open for someone else to take, or even 'bump off' so to speak. You can try giving your character a graceful exit from the narrative in order to protect them, but that's no guarantee.

Despite the general 10 page limit for this RP, (and others like it if we can get this going), this thing is open to an episodic nature. So, if you like the world we've built in one of these games, and the characters that go with it, there's nothing wrong with starting a new episode in the same world sometime after one story ends. The other side is that, since these things are relatively short, nobody is tied to the same world for too long, so if they'd rather branch out and try something else afterwards, they're free to do that.

Also, feel free to use this format to start other kinds of RPs. I'm mostly putting this one out as a test. Hopefully people will enjoy it. I think I've pretty much explained everything I need to explain, so let's get started!
(OOC Thread: Here)

I'm Going Into The Story!

Eloise's surprise party would have gone that much more heavenly, I'm sure, had I not locked myself in the pantry 20 minutes before the guests were due to arrive. I just HAD to prove my extravagance to the rest of the city's high society by living in one of the only apartments in the city with its own walk-in pantry, didn't I? Well, I did, really. Those people can be so judgmental. I needed to have something in my pocket I could show off as a token of my status, even if I did only use that something to store my preserves and soup cans.

I banged on the door until my palms turned red. When that didn't work, I thought I might get the attention of my downstairs neighbors. I hadn't asked them to the party, and we hadn't had the warmest of relationships. I had nothing against them, as they certainly seemed like kind enough people, but I'd never taken much of an interest in their affairs and they hadn't much asked about mine. I'd assumed they'd at least be decent enough to come up and let me out of my self-made prison, though. If they asked I supposed I'd extend an invitation to them, but they didn't know Eloise, and in my hopes to make sure things went well, I was terrified their personalities might not click with hers. Of course, had I known one of the people in attendance that night wasn't going to live to see the next morning, I probably wouldn't have invited anyone at all. Probably.

I began to stamp on the hardwood floors in the hopes of being heard.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:17:32 pm by sgore »

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
The apartment is filled with objects from all over the world. Masks from Africa and the Pacific Islands, weaponry from the man-eating tribes of the South American jungle, and even a tiger fur laying on the floor. Besides these items that look like they were taken straight from an adventure movie, the apartment is furnished rather modern, with nice leather couches, big windows and beautiful tables of white and black. Everything look cutting edge, and must have cost a fortune.
I recently moved here, and the dimwits who rented this place did not even closely think of my existence. Here between the mirrors of the upper bathrooms, and the hardly used bed-room is my kingdom, for now. I will take hold on the other side as well. In the meantime I wait and grow more powerful.
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
I'm going into the story!

So here I am, minding my own business, watching the television to pass the time until my partner came home, when suddenly I heard a series of dull thuds coming from above me. I turn my head to face the noise, and I just thought that it was once again my neighbor from upstairs. I turn the television up to drown out the noise. However, it seemed that the noise wanted to persist. I tried my best to ignore it, but soon, instead of the dull, barely audible noises, I could hear the sharper pounding of feet. It was definitely my neighbor, but why would they be stomping their feet? I sighed and turned off the show I was watching and headed up to where the noise was coming from. I knocked on their apartment door.

"Hey, could you keep it down? I'm trying to watch my soaps, and I'd rather not have to file a complaint!" I then waited for an answer.
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
I'm Going Into The Story!

With father out of town, mother on her sabbatical, and my various siblings spread out across the world, it was left to me, the only family member in the city, to go to this Eloise's surprise party. A party organised by a man I had seen but once at one of father's functions, for a young woman I had at least spoken to on some occasion. If my memory serves me well, she was extremely pretty, at least to my eyes.

I had not deigned to be early, but I had some luck in that the customary early evening traffic had not yet formed and we found the lights were all green, meaning that my fear that I would have to resort to calling my self fashionably late and missing the surprise was quite unfounded.

I was surprised, however, that somebody had turned up before me. However, he didn't seem to be a guest, dressed quite wrongly for a party.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:57:02 am by Haseri »

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile

Yes, life was pretty good at the moment, the new apartment was fantastic, business was stronger than ever and the few enemies the family still had left were keeping quiet, I might even have time to take my wife on a long deserved vacation soon. Not today though, today is my daughters birthday, just the sort of excuse i needed to buy a new suit; and this, I have to say, is some of the best work Giuseppe has done for me yet.

I had offered, as I always do, to pay for an extravagant reception, but Eloise had insisted again that she didn't want my charity. Now there was this suprise party planned, which I suppose should be good enough. We'd arrived a little early, and strangely nobody answered the door, so now I'm waiting here in the lobby for anyone else to turn up. Before I forget I should call the boys and ask a couple of them to come down here; it's disappointing that no one provides their own protection these days, it's almost as if they don't understand how important some of the people turning up to this party are.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World

There I was, looking out over the city. Masses of brick, metal, and glass strewn seemingly randomly about the landscape. Here and there, clumps of leaves would poke up between them. I could have stayed there for hours, fascinated by all the complexity of the bustling city.

"Eloise?" he said.

"Sorry, what were you saying?"

"I was saying, could you look at this man's profile? Something doesn't add up."

"Not today, Harold," I said. "I have somewhere I have to be." I was going to my best friend's house--he had invited me over for dinner--and I was going to walk.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:25:46 pm by Oviraptor »

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
"Hey man, you know this guy here? He's making a lot of noise, and I can't even hear my soaps. But, it's not like him to do this, so I am a bit confused." I turn and I knock on the door again.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
"Not really, I'm just here for a party." I looked at my watch. "I am a bit early though."

I strained my ears. "Yes, I definately can hear a banging. Maybe he was trying to get your attention."

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
Hmmm, a party you say. "Okay, okay, I didn't think of that." I turned the handle, not expecting it to be unlocked. "Oh, it probably was left unlocked so guests could get in." I walked into the living room, and I could clearly hear noise coming from...the pantry?! I walked over to the pantry door, and I opened up the door, and out tumbled my neighbor.

"Why, hello there."

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
Of all possible embarrassments, I reasoned with myself that this was far from the worst. Better one of my neighbors be the one to see me fall out of my pantry than one of the guests. Of course, then I noticed one of the guests had already arrived.

I brushed myself off, and got up from the floor.
"Thank you...um," I realized I couldn't remember this neighbor's name. "...just, thank you so kindly. Hope I wasn't a bother."

I turned to the guest. It was one of Marcus's children, I could tell that much. Which one, I wasn't sure. That family was always sending people to these functions like deligates, as if one person could make up for the absence of seven or so others. Meanwhile, if someone missed even one of their grand soirees without a good excuse, it'd be social purgatory for weeks.

"Hello there..." I'd unfortunately forgotten this one's name as well. Now I was starting to feel more embarrassed. "Well, welcome, make yourself comfortable. You've arrived a bit before the other guests, and I'm still setting up, but please, take a seat. Help yourself to the h'orderve platters on the...um... grand piano." Oh drat. I'd put them there for convience sake while I'd been getting things ready. I hadn't had a chance to move those plates elsewhere before getting locked in. I decided to try and play it off as some sort of avant-garde stylistic choice on my part.

I turned back to my neighbor.
"As you can no doubt tell by now, I'm having a little bit of a get together for a friend of mine. I'm sure you probably had other plans for the evening, but if you'd like to stay for a little while, you're absolutely welcome to do so. Thank you again for your help."
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:52:14 am by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Going Into The Story: The "Oh yeah, this used to be a thing" edition
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 09:24:09 am »
"David." After the customary hand shake, I made way over to the table piano. Very avant-garde. Naturally, I wouldn't dare touch them before the party started, but may as well know what's there. "Sorry I'm so early. The traffic was uncharacteristicly wonderful."

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 09:39:34 am »
"Remember, it's Calvin, though everyone calls me Cal. And I'd love to stay for a bit, my partner won't be back until nearly midnight, so I really don't have a plan. However, if you'll allow me to change into some more, er, public, clothing." I left the apartment and quickly changed, and came back as quickly as I could.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:53:04 am »

Tonight was a fantastically important night.  I was never one to turn down an invitation to a party.  Especially not one hosted by Jonathan, who was notorious good at throwning memorable soirees.  And of course the guest of honor was of the utmost interest as well.  The beautiful Ms. Eloise, in whom I have had great interest in courting for some time now.  I felt that tonight it was finally time to make my intentions clear.  What better opportunity to do so than on a beautiful night like tonight.

My train of though was interupted as my car came to a stop in at my destination.  My door swung open as my driver motioned for me to exit.  As had become practically reflex, I shook his hand as I rose from the vehicle, deposited his tip in the other and strode forward, shining black shoes clicking audibly on the still damp sidewalk.  It had been raining all afternoon and had fortuitously cleared up not an hour before, making the cool fall air crisp and fresh.

As I strode through the gilded entrance of the building into the spacious lobby of the high-end appartment tower, I instantly recognized the father of Ms. Eloise waiting nearby.  Even without my interest in his daughter he was quite familiar to me through his many dealings with my father over the years.  We had spoken on occasion in the past but it had been some time since I had seen him last.

Striding over to him, I spoke up.  "Good evening sir!" I said with a bright smile, extending my arm forward for a handshake as I quickly introduced myself.  Despite my familiarity with the man, one such as him saw far too many important people on a single day to be expected to remember my name off the top of his head.  "Richard Everett, a pleasure to see you again.  I trust you're here for your daughter's party?"
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:40:45 am »
Malcolm Everett, just mention that name at any half decent manhattan cocktail bar and you can expect a free drink or two. I was looking forward to seeing him and his son here tonight, it had only been a few months since I'd last spoken to Malcolm, but I'd last seen Richard several years ago when he was just 16, and I wouldn't have recognised him if he hadn't introduced himself,

"Richard! I'm surprised you recognised me, it certainly has been a while. You remember my wife Amelia..."

I was interrupted mid sentence by the arrival of the help I'd phoned in,

"You called boss, said you needed a couple of doormen for a party?"

"Ah, just the men I've been waiting for. Richard, this is Pauli and Mike, some of my employees, we should head upstairs and meet the host, that is if he's answering the door by now"

The five of us walked over to the elevator and set off to the thirteenth floor, unlucky for some,

"So Richard, I hear you've become good friends with my daughter?"

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 02:09:40 pm »
Introductions finished and early guests settled, I continued to set up for the evening. Jams and cheeses were placed next to the appropriate fruit and cracker spreads. Plates and silverware were stacked on tables, ready for the buffet style dinner that was cooling off in the kitchen.

"I hope you don't mind if I play some music," I said to my guests.
I put on a Louis Armstrong album and "Dream a Little Dream of Me" started to drift around the room.

All that was left was to check on dessert. I popped into the kitchen. The cake was gone.

I looked under the counter I could have sworn I remembered leaving it on. It was not there. I looked under the other counters. It was not there. I looked in cabinets, drawers and at one point the trash bin. It was not there, not that it would have fit any of those places. That four layer construction of confectionery decadence was supposed to be the masterpiece of the evening. Each layer was a different flavor of marble cake, each with its own variation of chocolate filling, running the gambit from dark to white. The whole thing was covered in a honey sweetened butter cream frosting and drizzled with rum soaked chocolate chips. When I picked it up from the bakery, they actually applauded me. I could not lose it.

I ran back out into the main room and asked David and Calvin to help me search the apartment. If it wasn't in the kitchen I must have put it down somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 02:12:42 pm by sgore »