Author Topic: Diablo III: Coming May 15th  (Read 11085 times)

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
Diablo III: Coming May 15th
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:15:26 am »
Read about it here, or here.

Basically:
-There will be no offline play. At all.
-You will be able to buy and sell any item you find on the in-game auction house for real money.
-There will be a listing fee and a sale fee, but you get a few free listings each week.
-Only items other players find will drop. Blizzard will not sell any items themselves.
-You will be able to transfer the money to your battle.net account or cash-out using an unnamed money transfer service.
-There will also be a gold currency auction house.

I personally don't care about the offline only part, as I would have only every played online anyway. It sucks for people who would have played alone heavily, but it's not a dealbreaker for me.

As for the real-money auction house, it intrigues me. I'll be able to make a little bit of dough playing Diablo 3, and since this item buying would have happened anyways, it's better to have it under Blizzard's control.

What are your thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:01:11 pm by MetallicDragon »

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
Re: Diablo III: No Offline play, Real-money Auction House
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:22:09 am »
I already lost interest when they decided to make joke classes. This is just another nail in its coffin to me.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:30:28 am »
I don't really like the online-only crap, but I'll watch and wait. The decision has been made so whatever.
Diablo III isn't quite a 'day one' purchase for me anymore. I'm going to approach it cautiously, to just stand back and see how it's received.
I can forgive a lot if it turns out that the game is stellar.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:43:05 am »
I already lost interest when they decided to make joke classes. This is just another nail in its coffin to me.

Can you elaborate? You can't mean the April Fool's gag they did because I can't see how that would make you not want to game.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:46:57 am »
Torchlight 2.

Guild Wars 2.

The numbers are smaller, so it isn't as sucky a sequel. Plus, the first sequel is usually the best in the series, anyway.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:01:37 pm »
So you can just... buy power?

That seems lame. Most games do the whole, BoP thing to prevent that yet this is instead embracing it? I dunno, I don't like that at all.

Also, I liked offline mode. My non-mmorpgs are for me to be the hero and only me. I know I don't have to interact with other people but it still makes my character feel less important. Why do I need to be online to play it?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:11:14 pm »
So you can just... buy power?

That seems lame. Most games do the whole, BoP thing to prevent that yet this is instead embracing it? I dunno, I don't like that at all.

Also, I liked offline mode. My non-mmorpgs are for me to be the hero and only me. I know I don't have to interact with other people but it still makes my character feel less important. Why do I need to be online to play it?

Who cares if other people buy power? It's primarily a PvM game. They're going to do it anyway (just look at D2).

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 04:36:36 pm »
Why Blizzard.

Why.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 05:46:46 pm »
You forgot to mention that mods of anykind will be prohibited.

No offline play? I thought that was expected ever since they created Battle.net.
Real-money Auction House is quite interesting. It's nice to see game companies experiment a little.
sadly it also makes modding impossible.

I'm looking forward to this and hope they don't add any other features that might put off other people.
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 05:55:49 pm »

Can you elaborate? You can't mean the April Fool's gag they did because I can't see how that would make you not want to game.

This
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WByqPqwBrzs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WByqPqwBrzs</a>
Is offensively stupid. It is like a trailer showcasing the huge drop in quality output from Blizzard. It was that reveal, that trailer, and the entire class itself that just convinced me that Diablo III was not going to be a quality product. Anyone that can look at that and say "Yeah, thats good, lets show that" cannot possibly produce anything of quality in their lifetime.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 06:09:05 pm »
I don't see what's wrong with it. A bit cliched maybe but not really shoddy that i've seen.
That said I don't know or care much about Diablo.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 06:29:49 pm »
I thought the Demon Hunter trailer was awesome. You say it's bad and everyone who thinks it's good will never make anything good? You say this and yet don't actually state a reason. Please don't bring inflammatory comments here without at least backing them up. How can you judge an entire game from a single trailer?

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »
Why Blizzard.

Why.

Because World of Warcraft.

Blizzard have been a terrible company for a long time and I don't know why people are surprised they'd pull crap like this.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 06:52:31 pm »

I thought the Demon Hunter trailer was awesome. You say it's bad and everyone who thinks it's good will never make anything good? You say this and yet don't actually state a reason. Please don't bring inflammatory comments here without at least backing them up. How can you judge an entire game from a single trailer?

People judge entire games as good from a single trailer.

I also meant the creators of the trailer. They greenlit a cheesy mishmash of cliches for a trailer of the most indistinct class they have yet produced. Every class in Diablo is a demon hunter, because that is what you do in Diablo, hunt demons! Having a Demon Hunter class in Diablo is like having a "People Killer" class in Team Fortress 2.

This class, along with the witch doctor and to a lesser degree the monk, are difficult to take seriously. It's like they are parodies of Diablo classes, taking the cheese factor and turning it up to eleven. I look at this page and I don't see a line up of Diablo classes, I see the cast of some bad anime.

That is only the essence I get from their failure at effective marketing, the game itself may very well be good that I would check it out in the future. Now though, they are taking anti-consumer policies a part of their games, I feel it is not a hyperbole to say that the legendary Blizzard standard of quality is no more. They are just another developer now. The magic is gone.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 07:59:48 pm »
Blizzard have been a terrible company for a long time and I don't know why people are surprised they'd pull crap like this.

Well most recently, Starcraft II was a very well-made game and they work persistently to balance and fix it.

Blizzard fans who don't play World of Warcraft have had, on the whole, a very positive experience.

Warcraft III was like my favorite game for nearly a decade.