Author Topic: Dark Days: A Zombie RP OOC  (Read 6654 times)

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Days: A Zombie RP OOC
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 10:24:05 am »
What? He's getting in that prius and going to get all 900 miles on one tank.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 10:28:57 am »
Well, in any case, his best chance of finding a way out, be that a car or a boat, is at the harbor.

I have to ask, how infested are the highways?

I can salvage this. I can salvage this. I can salvage this. I can salvage this. I can salvage this. I can salvage this.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:01 am »
A road trip from Baltimore to Mephis is 900+ miles, at 15 hour drive not including stops, and that's without zombies.  It's safe to assume there would be multiple road blocks, from either humans or zombie attacks.  You would have to stop for fuel a few times.  A month out from a zombie outbreak, gas stations would likely be abandoned, infested, or militarized zones as whoever is still there protects a valuable resource.  At this point such a trip would take a few days, by which point a few arcs of the main story in Memphis will likely have already taken place.

If you want to do the trip entirely by boat, you would have to go down the east coast, around florida, along the southern coast until you get to Louisiana, and sail up the mississippi for a few hundred miles.  With the best possible conditions this would take longer than a week, I suspect.  Multiple stops for fuel and supplies would be needed, and it's much harder to find a gas station by water in an unknown area than it is on the road.  A boat that could survive the surf from baltimore to louisiana alone would probably need more than one person on board to operate it.  Driving up the Mississippi would have tons of it's own challenges.

A trip from Baltimore to Memphis by car or boat would be enough for an entire rp, not a dramatic introduction.

The first arc is probably only going to last one night.  If you want to participate in it, you need to be in the city already.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 11:45:33 am by Inkling »
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 12:28:16 pm »
-the more you know-

You raise a point.

-rude and patronizing-

You know what? No.

That's right, you heard me.

Let me tell you something right now.
Nobody ever specifically said you had to be in Memphis. It was used as an example of the setting premise. I found that Baltimore would be another cool example, so I chose that. I thought, "hey, maybe someone's near me, and there would be two groups that could meet up later!" The people who joined after me, however, clustered in one place. Then, i figured, "oh, well, at least I can reach the others if this becomes an ongoing thing." But now? Now I'm getting laughed for trying to make a long-term investment. I didn't realize this would be this short. I thought it would be a continuous thing like the Spore universe that would continue until we all got bored.

I get it, I messed up. Let's not kick me while I'm down. Patman33, wasn't the entire reason for the "Let's Try to be Nicer" thread to try and stop stuff like this from happening?

And the worst part? For every two people who at least explain what I did wrong, there's always one who just slaps an image macro or de-motivatonal poster up and makes that their argument.

Since I have been informed that there's really no workarounds here (in a very astute manner, no less), I must respectfully decline from further participation in order to increase the quality of your role-playing experience and make this less confusing.

If anyone needs to contact me, I will be available tomorrow.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 12:39:36 pm »
-the more you know-

You raise a point.

-rude and patronizing-

You know what? No.

That's right, you heard me.

Let me tell you something right now.
Nobody ever specifically said you had to be in Memphis. It was used as an example of the setting premise. I found that Baltimore would be another cool example, so I chose that. I thought, "hey, maybe someone's near me, and there would be two groups that could meet up later!" The people who joined after me, however, clustered in one place. Then, i figured, "oh, well, at least I can reach the others if this becomes an ongoing thing." But now? Now I'm getting laughed for trying to make a long-term investment. I didn't realize this would be this short. I thought it would be a continuous thing like the Spore universe that would continue until we all got bored.

I get it, I messed up. Let's not kick me while I'm down. Patman33, wasn't the entire reason for the "Let's Try to be Nicer" thread to try and stop stuff like this from happening?

And the worst part? For every two people who at least explain what I did wrong, there's always one who just slaps an image macro or de-motivatonal poster up and makes that their argument.

Since I have been informed that there's really no workarounds here (in a very astute manner, no less), I must respectfully decline from further participation in order to increase the quality of your role-playing experience and make this less confusing.

If anyone needs to contact me, I will be available tomorrow.

Sorry man.

This isn't me being mean to you. This is me looking out for the health of a game that I and others plan on dedicating a fair amount of time to. If you can't take valid criticism, don't play. If you're going to whine about unfair treatment, don't play. We expect quality and so far everyone has been doing a great job. Your post did not adhere to the same quality as everyone else and it fell below reasonable expectations.

Now, you certainly don't need to quit. In fact, that's the worst thing you can do. I don't care if you messed up. If you're willing to take the time to fix it, awesome. That's how you get better at this.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:08:27 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 12:40:34 pm »
Don't worry about raz.  He isn't even in the RP.

You can still participate in the rp, just change your post so your character is in the same city as everyone else.  You want your character to be a college kid?  Great!  We're already on a college campus.  You want to start a ways off from the main action?  We can do that too, there's room for more than one college in a city the size of Memphis.  But the plan is for each arc to be rather short and sweet, to keep the action moving.  If you start on the other side of the country you're going to miss all the fun.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 12:42:09 pm »
Sorry for the ninja, Ink.

Also, Oct, you made one post. That's easy to repair. Just delete it and try again.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 01:48:23 pm »
Hah, wow, Oct whined about a type of image that's regularly used on the net when someone screws up horribly. I figured you'd be used to that kind of thing and just laugh for once.

One of the principal rules of conventional RP is that you never split the group for too long, if at all, especially by any large distances. It isn't conducive to RP.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 02:57:23 pm »
Goodness. Oct chillax, Raz wasn't trying to destroy you personally, just posting an -at the moment- funny picture that went with the post.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53:57 pm »
Name Gavin Weaver

Age 20

Bio A somewhat new resident to Memphis, living there now just a hair bit under a year. Weaver relocated to Tennessee for a change of scenery, that and other then family there just was not a whole lot left for him back home. A skilled locksmith Weaver did okay for himself that is until the outbreak happened, though his trade does come in handy given the nature of the situation.

Before the disaster Gavin was an avid runner and rock climber, he never scaled anything large, but often traversed smaller cliff sides and even a building or two when he could get away with it. Learning the hard way that you should never venture in the wilderness unprepared (a large scar on his left cheek and right arm remind him of this) Weaver is very careful and cautious, packing his rucksack to the brink with items he thinks he might need.

Abilities

Prepared locksmith: Gavin carry's his key duplicator and other locksmith supplies with him, with just a few minutes time Gavin can craft a key to open nearly any lock that takes a normal key.

Athletic: His experience running and climbing give Gavin an edge in the undead apocalypse, he can run fast, climb well, and has the stamina to do both for a long period of time.

Well prepared: At the outset of disaster Gavin left prepared, what food he could fill his pockets with, flashlights, battery's, rope, string any little widget or gizmo he could fit in his pack or pockets. And whenever the opportunity arrives he always takes time to stop and grabs things where he find them.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:56:58 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 07:58:27 pm »
PERFECT GORMAN!

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »
Did Gorman just die?

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2011, 08:08:02 pm »
No, Arthur dragged Gavin inside by the leg and took him through the Chapel.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2011, 08:10:02 pm »
Got it.

Can we... can we put names there :D

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2011, 08:35:00 pm »

We were debating this in IRC and decided to make a map! This map is an approximation of the Harper Chapel compound. It isn't to scale but it does accurately show where things generally are in relation to one another.