Author Topic: Final Fantasy  (Read 15749 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Final Fantasy
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »
Clay is a plot hole.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 10:15:26 pm »
he rants about how they hold their breath for blitzball, but it shows them putting things in their mouth before going in the water, and he complains that the ball is a volleyball and shouldn't be able to travel underwater, .. but it's not volleyball, it's blitzball, so they are using a blitzball and not a volleyball, I think the sport volleyball doesn't exist in their world.  I'm guessing the ball is heavy, like a metal ball wrapped in leather, or a heavy rubber ball, which would allow it to travel underwater.

You're telling me these people kick a heavy metal ball and don't shatter any bone they manage to connect it with? And wouldn't a metal ball sink in the water?

I'm sorry but I almost find it being a volleyball more believable. They hurt when you get pegged and since the ones in game a spiked (lol polygons) I bet it would do some damage haha.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 11:47:38 pm »
but a volleyball would float

it could be made of that heavy rubber material nerf uses to make their underwater toys with,

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 12:05:55 am »
have you ever been in water clay? its not that hard of a concept to grasp, you cant trow stuff like that.
all the points you made are backwards anyway, and please dont make my point out how they all make no sense, i dont want to look like some guy who actually gives a ****.

i learned a long time ago that bickering like this is completely futile, people get mad over video games and will take any kind of foulmouthing of said video games personally, wich is stupid. and in the end you cant convince those people. but whatever you had fun with the game, like i said i did too for a while when i first played it. but that doesnt make it any less stupid.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 09:01:50 am »
You cant criticize a game for being unrealistic, especially when the word fantasy is already in the name.

You guys are trying too hard, learn what an opinion is.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 10:04:16 am »
if I were to get a final fantasy tactics for my psp, which one should I get

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 10:15:40 am »
if I were to get a final fantasy tactics for my psp, which one should I get

I thought there was only one for the psp?

The one that I know of is FFT war of the lions, it is a direct port of the Ps1 final fantasy tactics with a couple of extras added, I haven't played it on the psp, but I could write you a book about how awesome FFT is. However I have heard that the war of the lions has a few bugs and frame rate issues.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 10:49:17 am »
I played one final fantasy tactics (the one with the weird judges and white haired chick) I didn't really get into it but I always like to give games second chances.

Currently installing ff7 to my PSP to finally get 100% completion, if theirs any room left I'll see what other enix game I can get on my SD card
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:06:28 am by Kaizer »

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 11:49:21 am »
I played one final fantasy tactics (the one with the weird judges and white haired chick) I didn't really get into it but I always like to give games second chances.

Yeah that would be Final fantasy tactics advance or advance 2, I really dislike both of those, but I really enjoy the original FFT for the ps1 (aka war of the lions for the psp)

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 12:37:28 pm »
I didn't like tactics because of the judges and conditions for battles, i'd rather it just be a battle..

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:45 pm »
It used to annoy the hell out of me because I would never look at them and then half my team would get hauled off

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 01:02:07 pm »
Well that's your fault, CRIMINAL SCUM.

It had the beneficial effect of forcing people to make balanced teams and keep their entire party levelled and not just ninja the game with six ninjas. Although you can probably still do that.

The problem with the original FFT was that stats made no sense and the classes didn't have anything close to a logical progression. So I had no idea what was going on and gave up on it.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 01:14:41 pm »
that just means the game is unbalanced, and instead of fixing it they just added rules so people can't take advantage of it,

thats just bad game design in my opinion

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 05:57:55 pm »
You cant criticize a game for being unrealistic, especially when the word fantasy is already in the name.

Nonono, this is not a get-out-of-jail free card against reasonable criticism; Spoony's is largely a performance piece but he was still able to point out, objectively, questionable scenarios in Final Fantasy X.
Even fantasy has to be grounded in our own reality on some level. There has to be some way for players to identify and connect with what is going on, either with characters, settings, or any sort of story element.
The problem that comes out of this is that people interpret and respond to things completely differently.

And still, suspension of disbelief is just one problem people claim to have with the game.

My own major claim is that I found the overall plot poorly structured and badly paced. I could handle the characters all being rather bland with little or no backstory at all. The writing was almost comically bad at times, but even that was forgivable.
Now that I think about it.. what really tended to yank me out of the experience was how the character models would tend to swap to these rather unappealing, stiffly animated, pixelmouth puppets. So in certain cutscenes, you'd have these smooth and nicely animated, though poorly lip-synced, characters.
But then in the rest of the scenes, you'd see the lower detail models using stock animations, standing around as dialogue or plain text prattled on, quite often leaving the characters staring in the wrong direction... it got worse when you'd start to see the stock animations play out many times as the game goes on.

It's all very unnatural and jarring. Hell, I liked the presentation from the PS1 era much more because low poly and stock animation were kind of the norm. They also didn't switch between two types of models, so it was at least consistent.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:12:23 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 07:01:49 pm »
OH GOD THAT FACE

and yeah, denying the laws of physics can obviously be done in fantasy but it has to be explained how its done or at least lampshaded in some shape or form.
you cant just do random **** and expect everyone to just roll with it.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.