Author Topic: Final Fantasy  (Read 15793 times)

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy
« on: July 09, 2011, 01:05:04 am »
if there is already a final fantasy topic it's really old and hasn't been posted in in forever,
so this thread is for discussing all things final fantasy
Mainly, I would like to know which Final Fantasy everyone liked the most, and which ones people have played

I've played
4,5,6,7,8,9,10,10-2,11,12,and 13

4,5,and 6 are all good, and it's hard for me to pick a favorite from them, they're all good in their own ways, but overall I think I like 6 best of those 3, and I like 10 best of the 3d ones
i didn't like 7 or 8 or 12 or 13, the rest are all good in some way or another, be it story, game-play, or both

like of 4,5,and 6  the story of 5 was majorly lacking in comparison to 4 and 6, but it had an amazing game-play mechanic that didn't show up again until 10-2, yes most fans consider 10-2 an abomination because A) it was a continuation of sorts from 10, and B) it was an all female cast, also the story sucked, but in 5 and 10-2 every character can be any class, as long as you unlock the classes

the ended of 6 and 10 were stupid, and yet I still chose them as my favorites,

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:48:12 am »
Final Fantasy just can't get a decent combat system together outside of tactics games.

I guess FF12 had a decent thing going where it abandoned turn-basedness altogether, but the graphics were too flashy for the PS2 so you could only have one spell going at a time so it ended up in a ridiculous queue whenever you wanted to cast more than one spell (or cast while the enemy was)

Actually (I'm sure someone will be offended by this) as much as I loved Tactics Advance and A2 I couldn't get in to plain old Tactics. They just don't explain how the stats work or why if you have two monks one of them is only doing half as much damage as the other. Also it doesn't have combat jugglers and therefore is terrible.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 03:09:48 am »
I think playing actually good tactical rpg's like shining force ruined FF:tactics for me,

and many of the games had good combat systems,
I enjoyed the battle system in 10, it's very deep
ya it's turn based, but you need to know what everything does and when to use them

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 06:17:31 am »
My favorite is final fantasy tactics for the PS1, I couldn't get in to tactics advance since they scrapped the awesome JP system, and added the pants on head retarded system of learning skills from equipment.

Outside of the tactics, I really enjoyed final fantasy x, especially the sphere systems for leveling.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 07:53:39 am »
My favorite is final fantasy tactics for the PS1, I couldn't get in to tactics advance since they scrapped the awesome JP system, and added the pants on head retarded system of learning skills from equipment.

But those adjectives are backwards.

I tried playing FF9, and as much as I enjoyed the setting and style and learning skills from equipment the combat system was so bassackwards that enemies were taking their turns while I was trying to find the item I wanted in the menu or watch the animation for a different attack. That was so stupid I gave up and went back to playing Grandia (which has a brilliant combat system).
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 10:49:35 am »
I haven't enjoyed any final fantasy where they have those hybrid combat systems where the enemy's can do things on your turn like you described, if I want to play a turn based game it should be turn based, I shouldn't be getting punched in the face for taking my time.

Never heard of Grandia, ill look in to it.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 02:44:53 pm »
i've never finished a final fantasy game

that's because they all have too much filler bull**** after the initial story part
i think i got furthest in 4, that was fun while it lasted.

also i think pretty much everyone agrees that square enix are ****ing retards when it comes to story, and nowadays are ****ing retards with pretty much anything they do.

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 12:36:12 am »
most of the FF games had the option to chose if you want it to be turn based, or if you want the enemy to be able to attack while you're deciding what to do,
I guess it makes the game harder/more hardcore for die-hard fans,
it's like speed chess vs. normal chess,
nobody likes playing speed chess, unless you like playing speed chess,... know what I'm trying to say ?

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2011, 12:58:19 am »
That option doesn't actually do anything in nine.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 05:34:45 am »
But... But... FFIX had Vivi...

It's also like, the best one ever.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 07:49:17 am »
Final Fantasy VII. Why is it such a great game? I'll tell you!

The mechanics of the game are fabulous. The materia system is one of the best skill allotment schemes in all of gaming. We're talking about a game that is fourteen years old that still has room for new builds and new strategies. It also allows experienced players to play the long game, so to speak. And what I mean is that you can formulate a plan at the beginning of a game concerning your character's progression and stay with that plan for all the hours it takes to reach the closing credits. There's a sense of achievement in earning your mastered materia and finding the very best spells.

As well, you've got a reasonable number of sidequests to occupy your time outside of the story, and the world is genuinely interesting. It has that old style of world map that is big, but still somewhat dense when it comes to finding secrets and treasures. Things aren't too spread out and there's always something just over the next hill. No vast wastelands of nothing like many modern games.

And of course, the story. It's a bit better than the cynics give it credit for. You've got two genuinely good plot twists and an acceptable main thread. Granted, it's not stellar, but it is a pretty good story. But really, the reason you go back to FFVII is for the mechanics.

It's a great mystery to me why Square ditched the materia system. Especially when FFVIII had such a tedious and annoying customization system. In fact, the materia system was so well-received that Square is planning to add it to FFXIV with the hope of saving the floundering MMO. Whether or not it will work is beyond me. But it is certainly a testament to the versatility of the system.

So please, even if you're a hater, go back and give FFVII a once-over. It's a good old game.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:44:11 am »
Rebuttal:

Even if you liked FF7 all those years ago when it came out, it's aged exceptionally poorly. It might have been considered a good RPG in 1997 (it might equally have been considered the only RPG in the west in 1997), but unlike 'classic' games in other genres RPG games have long since improved on this in every way. There's nothing worth going back to it for. The time you would spend playing it could be spend on much more rewarding RPGs instead.

The good things about the game are the hilarious film and popularising JRPGs in the west. Nothing else about it stands out as worthy.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 09:02:58 am »
You are absolutely, positively incorrect, Lurk! How can you be so narrow-minded, you always pick on this game.

The mechanics are the core of the experience and while they may have aged, they're still rock solid. Yes, cosmetically the game has aged very poorly, but so have most games from that era. It's what's under the hood that matters. And yes, the story isn't anything to phone home about; however, it's still better than a lot of the slop developers are giving us today.

Of course, it could also be a difference in preferences. If you don't like JRPGs then of course you're not going to approach the game with a positive opinion. But you can't discount the game for that reason. There's a reason why so many people like Final Fantasy VII and why the community considers it one of the best. That doesn't happen to games like the one you described in your previous post. If you really think Final Fantasy VII is a terrible game and has no merit, fine. But you're only fooling yourself.

I'm not even here to claim it's the greatest game ever. Yeah, some people call it that. I don't think it's the best game I've ever played. But it is very good.

But I've had this discussion with you before, Lurk. You're just a hater. If you're going to hate a Final Fantasy game, at least pick one that is genuinely bad. FFX, for instance. Or XIII.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 09:43:12 am »
I love JRPGs! Compared to other ones that I've played, FF7 is simply no good. Maybe everyone else hadn't played any other JRPGs when it came out?

I'd hate on FF10 or 13, but I haven't played them because they were panned before I even got to them. With everyone praising FF7 I thought it should be really good, but it seems people didn't have any perspective when it came out.

You can say that the mechanics are sound, but the truth is that ATB is so terrible that it made me give up on Final Fantasy Nine - which was all around better presented and more engaging than Seven and I would have liked it, except for the one thing that it had in common.

You can play FF7 and even like it, but calling it a very good JRPG is a disservice to the genre. There are much better games - even better Final Fantasies.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:24 am »
Why does FFX get so much hate?