Author Topic: Final Fantasy  (Read 15711 times)

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2015, 04:14:48 pm »
Just the game boy advanced final fantasy 1 for me

Got to the underworld in 4 and ****s just too hard on the trash mobs haha
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #151 on: January 22, 2016, 09:12:58 pm »
So... Final Fantasy Explorers?

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #152 on: January 31, 2016, 03:22:27 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO7nyrNBFXA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO7nyrNBFXA</a>

jeeeeeeesus
Looks pretty neat.

And yeah, my friend and I got Explorers the other day. It's a bit simple, absolutely 100% aping Monster Hunter except without all the depth and strategy. Instead it kind of developed its gameplay in a different way, particularly in your use of abilities. We're still pretty early in the game but gear, while craftable and upgradable, has a lesser role.

So it's pretty Monster Huntery but not completely. World is a little flat and not super interesting and there's really not much story to speak of. Crystal Chronicles had a more involved story honestly, if you believe that. If you care either.

Pretty fun with friends to blunder around and kick bosses in the ass, do some minmaxing (lots of minmax potential here). Dunno how it's gonna hold up in the long run though.
I'd give it a 0-10 scale rating but my personal scale is less weighted to the top so it might look like I hate it or something. And I don't wanna explain how it works so whatever.
I guess I can say it's decent but not great. I'd probably value it at about ten bucks off its current price at the most. Seems reasonable.

EDIT: I guess to be even more clear FF: Explorers is a bit misleading as you really don't do any actual exploration to be perfectly honest.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 08:46:05 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 04, 2016, 02:21:19 pm »
Hey,so X ad X-2 are getting released on the PC too

https://steamdb.info/sub/64178/

Anyone hyped?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #154 on: May 04, 2016, 02:28:19 pm »
Not in the least. :(

X is when the series I loved died.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2016, 02:49:57 pm »
Could you elaborate  on that?

Also,what are your feelings on IX?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2016, 03:50:16 pm »
Yeah definitely!

I really enjoyed FFIX. It was a pleasant mix of the classic FF style and gameplay but with a lot of the modern (at the time) trappings of the genre that helped make things more fluid. It was mechanically similar to FFVI (my favorite) with the way that items and equips offered skills and abilities over time, much like magicite allowed the player to train up characters with the desired skills. I liked the difficulty and the overall pacing of the game, with a minor exception being that stupid underground road that seemed to drag on forever.

As far as X goes, right off the bat I wasn't taken with the characters or the gameplay. Conditional Turn Battle in place of Active Time Battle really bugged me because I absolutely love ATB and the sense of urgency it instilled. I also wasn't a fan of how Aeons worked. That one isn't a huge deal but I like the older way. And generally I could see where the series was heading after FFX. Square was leaving behind a strong mechanical core and instead replacing it with overly-dramatic stories and annoying characters. Also I didn't like the blitzball, but I'm not a fan of the mini-game thing in FF games anyway. I don't like Triple Triad and I don't care about whatever the heck that game was in IX. Chocobo Racing was cool but that was so fleshed out and offered a legitimately entertaining racing mini-game.

I make no bones about my belief that Square wants to make movies anymore but can't because they aren't quite talented enough. And their push closer to the movie/storytelling side of the spectrum has come at the cost of mechanics that I personally enjoy a lot and wish would be further-improved. But also as a gamer I believe in mechanics first. If the gameplay and systems that support it aren't up to snuff I don't care how good a story you can tell. I bought this thing as something to be played first and foremost. As a fan of the series and someone that bought a lot of their early products, I felt abandoned when Square unilaterally decided that ATB JRPGs were dead and not coming back. The whole damn industry seemed to follow their lead. Thankfully we have companies like Atlus who don't have their heads so far up their own ass.

Credit where credit is due though. Square does publish and (to an extent) develops Dragon Quest nowadays and they've managed to keep that series out of the clutches of whoever makes terrible decisions over there. If you are like me and enjoy classic-styled JRPGs, Dragon Quest is still solid, even if they have made them a bit easier in recent years.

I won't go as far to say that X is a bad game. Clearly there is something of worth there to have garnered so many fans. But there was a moment in time when Final Fantasy changed. It started around FFVII and was especially apparent in FFVIII. And for me FFX was the nail in the coffin. I knew they weren't making these games for me anymore. A different fanbase with different tastes was being catered to. That's why I left. It's also why I still love Nintendo. They make the games I want to play with excellent, familiar mechanics.

Oh and also a late edit to this post: THERE WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE SEQUELS TO FINAL FANTASY GAMES WHY SQUARE WHAT DID YOU DO?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:52:57 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 04, 2016, 04:21:00 pm »
You gave up five years too early. 12 was rad.

Of course, they'll never port that one to PC because they haven't made a ****ty phone version of it yet.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #158 on: May 04, 2016, 10:47:02 pm »
Oh I actually played 12. It was a lot of fun. It was actually what I always wanted: a single player MMO. That game is unlike any other in the series.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2016, 11:36:45 pm »
I heard the 12 servers got shut down recently. Is there any way to still play it or no?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2016, 11:48:08 pm »
That was 11 that just shut down. 12 is a single player game and a pretty good one at that. It also happens to be a Final Fantasy game. Square must have let a good one out by mistake. :o

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2016, 11:54:52 pm »
Ohh is 12 the one with the guy with no shirt on? Also was 11 good?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2016, 12:18:22 am »
I played 11 for years and loved it. If you can get into it now on a private server or something, do it. The final game is filled to the brim with content. Back in college a buddy of mine used to play it in the quad because it can run on a toaster and because it uses very little bandwidth.

As far as I am aware, the PC version is still up and running and fully supported.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2016, 08:47:45 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeOCvUnQ_kc

FF15 Livestream! Not sure how long it'll be up!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2016, 09:39:04 pm »
Yeah so that game looked weird.