Author Topic: Games You Make  (Read 10033 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: Games You Make
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:05 pm »
Speaking as someone who actually goes to school for this stuff and spent a semester working in Unity, it's a decent starting point, a level above Gamemaker.  Unfortunately, any system that tries to make game making easier is also going to constrain you, the way a safety line will limit your range of motion.

I don't know what this hair pullingly complicated thing you're trying for is, but there's a fair chance that it would actually be easier to build it from the ground up than try to finagle it into the Unity system.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »
I only just thought of adding Inform to the mix : http://inform7.com/

I'm useless at programming or even the psuedo-coding jazz even game maker applications use, so this wasn't quite my cup of tea. Remember those text adventures? You know, back when READING could be an ADVENTURE? This is an engine for text games, only it's a pretty flexible system, allowing even a derp like me to pull together an adventure fairly easy, and giving the more advanced thinkers coding room to use scripts for all kinds of stuff. It uses a context system to even 'program' it. Going from memory, with perhaps a syntax hiccup or two, you can literally type in the coding box :

the "Mens Room" is a room
the "Fart" is an item
the "Butt" is a container
the "Fart" is inside the "Butt"
the "Butt" is inside the "Mens Room"
the "Butt" can not be moved
the "Corridor" is a room
the "Ladies Room" is a room
the "Mens Room" is east of the "Corridor"
the "Womens Room" is west of the "Corridor"
the "Janitor" is a person
the "Mens Room" is described "Stalls. Stalls everywhere. It's pretty nasty in here, doesn't anybody ever clean this place?"

And then build up your entities, locations, behaviours, descriptions and reactions in a simple list format. Proper formatting for ease of reference is completely optional, haha. The part it gets tricky is when you want specific behaviour. For instance, I wanted an item to be invisible (non-listed in the room contents), but still allow the player to interact with it, using the room description as the hint to it's presence. That actually required a little scripting, because the default behaviour listed all items separately after the room description, along with the obvious exits. I never quite got to grips with that part, and in no manner I could easily toggle. I'm just impatient, is all.

Good luck to anybody planning to use it.
Did I mention it's free?
Yeah. It's free.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 03:31:36 am »
I tried it for a while but unless you are doing really simple stuff you might as well just learn how to code properly.

Its fine if you just want to make something heavy on descriptions but light on actual content. "You go into the study, you take the pen from the oak table. You examine the pen, it is actually a key. You use the key to unlock the door, you win."

If you want to do anything interesting the fluidity of the way it uses natural language falls apart and you end up having to code with a bloated and imprecise language (English).
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 08:18:48 am »
Yeah. I think something like
Code: [Select]
var fart = new Item();
var butt = new Container();
butt.append(fart);
fart.description = "My GOD, what the hell did you EAT?! And how long was it DEAD when you did?!";
isn't that much harder to comprehend than the more natural language in that example. But for more elaborate adventures it can provide far more flexibility.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 08:54:07 am »
You're right, but the trouble with learning a new programming language is simply in remembering the structure, commands, and proper formatting. Unless you have an interest in the programming itself, many people find that the creative mind clashes with the academic mind. One just wants to hose ideas at the blank medium as they come, the other wants to carefully dissect and construct. It's a process where the learning comes first, but being I am one of many derps in the herd, I never find the time or mental energy to simply sit down and slowly learn a decent coding language, for those moments I get hit with an urge to create.
*le shrug*

That said, Inform does actually have a straight coding aspect to it. I remember looking at an example that created a 'transition' set-up, where if the player used a command to walk along a path, there was a brief delay while it described the short journey in steps, pulling from a pool of listed descriptors to point out random passers by. Trying to read the actual example code they used was hard, given I didn't educate myself on the base syntax before stumbling on that script. So yeah, actual script, not just fluff-script is there too. I'll agree it can be clunky though.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 09:15:22 am »
You know, people don't give Game Maker enough credit. Sure, every derp-in-the-herd wannabe programmer has made some retarded click the clown game, but I've played some Game Maker games that are both extremely huge and extremely fun. People have made fun, GTA style 3D open world games with it. And the platform capabilities are pretty huge.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 06:05:02 pm »
Hey, if you get a functioning demo out, put it up. What's your project?

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 12:51:45 pm »
Ugh...FRAPS, but for 30 seconds only. Let me google a bit.

EDIT: http://camstudio.org/

EDIT 2: And yeah, I like sandbox games too but I usually lack the ambition to really get one going. So I just make sandbox toys that aren't GTAs or Minecrafts but just little stuff like, say, Electroplankton.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:56:58 pm by Slinky2* »

Offline Gec

• Defender Devotee
  • I dig 'em.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2012, 04:58:12 pm »
Ok, so I'm giving this away to you guys.

A flash/iOS game where you are the Hulk and you have to thrash Loki around on the floor as many times as you can while this music plays in the background.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNU7kF3lo3M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNU7kF3lo3M</a>

EXTRA CREDIT: Make it a beat-step game where you tap arrow keys along to the music.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:08 am »
FRAPS is easy to use but it records raw files with huge filesizes. Try Bandicam instead. It seems to generate far less lag while also compressing the footage as it records. Never looked back after I tried it.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 08:36:47 am »
Ok, so I'm giving this away to you guys.

A flash/iOS game where you are the Hulk and you have to thrash Loki around on the floor as many times as you can while this music plays in the background.

EXTRA CREDIT: Make it a beat-step game where you tap arrow keys along to the music.

Eh, challenge declined cause it would lose its novelty too quickly. Perfect music though.

And thanks Uroboros I'll give that a try.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »
Okay, so this topic is old and stuff but I figured I'd just put this out on the interchet:
http://www.facebook.com/blockfordadventure
Just a little (huge) project I'm working on. It's a platformer. There should be a download link somewhere.