Author Topic: Your internet rights are being challenged (again)  (Read 4762 times)

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
Your internet rights are being challenged (again)
« on: July 02, 2011, 07:20:42 am »
A new bill in congress is trying to be passed and it would prevent any kind of video streams involving copyrighted content including movies music and video games.
This video thoroughly explains it from my point of view.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib7-vSrp6y8</a>
And heres a link to the bill

In my opinion the government should just stay out of internet matters or at least appoint someone who understands this sort of thing better.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:41:28 am by FROMAN »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Your internet rights are being challanged (again)
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:22:12 am »
Its spelled challenged.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Your internet rights are being challanged (again)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:26:43 am »
It's more-than-likely just another scheme to raise money in these troubled times.

Either way, it's too much of a hassle to uphold. Probably not going to pass.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Re: Your internet rights are being challenged (again)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 02:48:31 pm »
Good luck enforcing that.
Youtube currently has a policy of taking down any copyrighted content if the owner of said content asks them to do so. That so many lets plays are basically untouched on YT currently (and with the exposure the genre of LPing is getting) likely means the companies really don't care about them enough to get them removed.
That and it could be argued that LPs serve as free advertising for games. Certainly worked for La-Mulana.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 12:05:05 pm »
Ha. This is hilarious.
Sense when does the US own the friggin' internet? Sure, Congress can try to limit the outgoing stuff from the US, but what are they going to do, have the FBI track down anyone who publishes a "Let's Play" on Youtube? Good luck.
Not only that, but rather than doing something stupid like this, why don't they try to, I don't know...
->FIX THE ECONOMY?<-I understand they're trying to, but...
Yeah, I'm going to stop before this goes anymore off-topic.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 12:16:35 pm »
Yeah, why don't they just flip the "fix economy" switch?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 12:24:46 pm »
I know it's more complicated than that, but this is like the third or fourth year of this and the way I've seen it portrayed is such that it's just a bunch of politicians banging rocks together not getting the problem fixed. Could be the farthest from the truth, but hey, I'm 14, what do I know when it comes to politics?  :P

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 01:16:33 pm »
It'd be far more likely they'd just go after pirates with it even if it did pass. I really can't see killing lets plays/longplays/that kind of thing as being remotely enforceable.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 03:09:24 pm »
Ha. This is hilarious.
Sense when does the US own the friggin' internet?

November 12th, 1974. Won it in a game of five card stud against Norway.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 10:18:21 am »
I know it's more complicated than that, but this is like the third or fourth year of this and the way I've seen it portrayed is such that it's just a bunch of politicians banging rocks together not getting the problem fixed. Could be the farthest from the truth, but hey, I'm 14, what do I know when it comes to politics?  :P
And of course the most logical course of action to take when you don't know much about a given topic is parrot the over-generalized empty phrase you've heard from TV. In a huge font.

Also, I'm pretty sure "There are other problems, so this one doesn't matter" is a logical fallacy.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 10:21:09 am »
Ok, you do have a valid point, barbed sarcasm not necessary.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 03:50:15 pm »
Ok, you do have a valid point, barbed sarcasm not necessary.

Have you ever been to any kind of debate, ever?
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 06:32:59 pm »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 02:40:53 am »
(2) shall be imprisoned not more than 5 years, fined in the amount set forth in this title, or both, if--
(A) the offense consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works; and
(B)(i) the total retail value of the performances, or the total economic value of such public performances to the infringer or to the copyright owner, would exceed $2,500; or
(ii) the total fair market value of licenses to offer performances of those works would exceed $5,000

Um...

Hate to break it to you guys, but as the nice man in the video pointed out, Let's Plays are free advertising and only serve to increase profits, so B(i) is irrelevant. The only way for a lp to be considered a felony would be for B(ii) to be true, and for that to happen, the company would have to charge over $5,000 for the rights to air footage of their game.  That clause is in place for movie and music producers who charge over $5,000 in distribution rights, or charge for venues to broadcast or display their media, B(i) being the total amount of payment the copyright holders would have received had all of the views been purchases instead.  Granted, I'm no lawyer, so I could be wrong on this, but I'm pretty damn sure that this is just a waste of our time.

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 09:34:23 pm »
     I just found out about this bill roaming youtube, PLEASE follow that video to youtube and read the description for more info and if you are a USA resident sign for the petition. I'm not totally sold on what it can do but it really takes 10 seconds to fill in the info. More though if you feel like getting a bit creative. This is still new so attack it now while it's easy and not banging on our doors ready to kill us. If you are not a US resident..I'd be pissed. The internet as I know it is an international community, something bigger then any one nation so I don't know what right the US has in making the internet crummy for people around the globe. Plus I spend half my days watching Let's plays so if you're like me, look into this. I don't think this can pass but I don't wanna take chances with something I love.

Edit: while I'm growing less and less concerned about its affect on lets plays and moreover its affect on video games, I'm still not sure how to take its effect on other media, mostly the way music and performance go with the internet. Maybe I sound like I'm making a really big deal and I apologize but it feels like this bill has no business going into what its doing. Again, no one freak out just read the bill before you take other people word for it. I doubt this will pass as is and if it did, I doubt the government will start a massive witch hunt when people are torrenting tons of stuff and they seem only half way into that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 10:07:33 pm by a14gt »
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!