6 (50%)
Falchion
0 (0%)
Longsword
1 (8.3%)
Um... why not get a gun?
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Archaic Weapons Help!  (Read 5718 times)

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
Re: Archaic Weapons Help!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2011, 09:53:21 am »
If you *must* carry an Archaic blade, then their are actual canes with swords hidden on the inside, I'm not a fan of those personally though.

This one comes back to what I said about the difficulty finding actual weapons grade ones among all the gimmicky ones.

To be honest, I missed the whole paleontology bit.  With that in mind, you definetly don't want to carry something very big.  Depending on where it is though, a small machette or kukri could still work well.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 05:01:52 pm »
I shall keep all your considerations in mind, and I feel that this has been a very productive discussion so far! I like the quarterstaff idea, especially.

Maybe I should opt out of a bow, because frankly, I can't shoot a bow any better than I can shoot a gun.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 05:09:00 pm »
You really should.

It is very a cumbersome one trick tool with no other merit than to shoot at things or make nearby people uncomfortable towards you.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 01:41:03 pm »
Forgive me for popping in here and being negative... but I don't really think you're taking this seriously enough, Doc.

You are considering buying a weapon. It doesn't matter that it isn't a gun. You will be in the possession of an object that is designed to kill other people. I know you're thinking in advance, but perhaps you should wait a bit before seriously considering making a purchase. In the meantime, if you have family or older friends that do have weapons, spend some time with them and see if you can test their equipment out. Try it before you consider buying.

As well, and to repeat what was said before, "old" weapons are probably not the best route to take. People with knives get shot.

Tasers, quarterstaffs, handguns, rifles, bows, swords... they ALL will require a good amount of training to become proficient. And you will want to be proficient if self defense is your reason for buying a weapon. In all honesty, a gun is probably one of the easier weapons to pick up and learn. That's why thugs use them. They're easy. But if you're good, chances are an untrained goon won't be able to hurt you before you put them down. And that takes hundreds of hours of training, gun or not. Don't fool yourself into thinking you'll be adequately protected with a blunt object or some old-world weapon (or even a modern gun). You might end up surviving by it, but more-than-likely, having a weapon like that will only serve to provoke a potential assailant... on top of probably being useless when they draw their gun.

So, take some time and think more. You won't need to make a purchase now or in the near future. Buying a weapon is a big deal and you need to start to prepare yourself for the responsibilities of ownership first. It doesn't matter if it's a quarterstaff. It's a dangerous tool designed to kill. And that matters.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:42:51 pm by PatMan33 »

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 01:42:56 pm »
Well said as always Pat.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 06:47:58 pm »
If you bring a deadly weapon in to play it is a deadly weapon in the eyes of the law. A Kukri, tanto, crossbow, mancatcher, even a bola in some places will considered a deadly weapon. Once you cross that line, you have crossed the line. Most laws say nothing to the effect, "If the person yielding a deadly weapon, but not a really nasty one, they should be punished less if they are irresponsible with it." Most police training that I have seen or been involved with puts the 'justification' of deadly force against a melee weapon armed individual at 30ft. It never differentiates between a club, a knife, or a sword. All those videos where you see cops dealing with armed individuals below 30ft is the officers being as forgiving as possible or more in fear of the law than they should be.

If you want to learn a weapon to have fun with a weapon and become proficient with it, go for it. Just don't b***s*** yourself thinking you are any better or legally justified than if you picked up a shotgun when it comes to self-defense. It bears repeating: If you bring a deadly weapon in to play it is a deadly weapon in the eyes of the law.

If you want to go the less-than-lethal route, get a taser. Police models only run for 5 seconds a shot. Civilian models run for 20 seconds. You shoot the guy, drop it, and run like hell. If you file a police report the company will even give you a new one to replace the one you used for free.

If you want a deadly home defense weapon, get a 18" barreled shotgun (shortest legal length). Load it with Turkey loads (nominally #4 shot) which will not penetrate most walls with deadly energy but will still shred your target. An 18" barrel, unchoked, will have about a 1" spread for every foot of travel. That means that if your target is 10 feet away, the blast will cover an area 10" wide. Aim for the middle of the doorway and commence firing. If you run out of ammo you still have a very handy club. One last note, in terms of foot-pounds on energy, a single shot from a shotgun is equal to the entire magazine of the average handgun.

Now then, on topic... I am a fan of Kukri blades. :)

-Lego

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 06:49:07 pm »
Lego is a sniper.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 07:15:00 pm »
Survival tip.:

Don't break in to Lego's house.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 07:36:14 pm »
One last note, in terms of foot-pounds on energy, a single shot from a shotgun is equal to the entire magazine of the average handgun.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. So you've got the square feet that the handgun bullet or shot covers, and you're multiplying it by a weight that somehow corresponds to the power of the weapon? Or do pounds actually measure momentum? In any case, why would that be a useful thing to measure?

I'm not even being facetious, I'm genuinely confused.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 07:39:29 pm »
One last note, in terms of foot-pounds on energy, a single shot from a shotgun is equal to the entire magazine of the average handgun.

I have no idea what you're talking about here. So you've got the square feet that the handgun bullet or shot covers, and you're multiplying it by a weight that somehow corresponds to the power of the weapon? Or do pounds actually measure momentum? In any case, why would that be a useful thing to measure?

I'm not even being facetious, I'm genuinely confused.

I will answer this tomorrow, I need to log right now. (wife aggro)

Survival tip.:

Don't break in to Lego's house.

You got it turkey.

-Lego

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 07:47:56 pm »
Quote from: PatMan33
-you might want to wait a bit-

Hmm... now that I think about it...

I'll unlock this in a couple years.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?