6 (50%)
Falchion
0 (0%)
Longsword
1 (8.3%)
Um... why not get a gun?
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Archaic Weapons Help!  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Archaic Weapons Help!
« on: June 28, 2011, 05:06:15 am »
Ok, so after seeing the "Gun help!" thread, I got to thinking that I'll need a small, defensive armament at my side once I go into my field of choice, considering there are records of contemporary paleontology teams getting shot at. However, I don't think I'm ready for the recoil and other drawbacks of a gun, nor am I ready for the suspicion it will draw towards me. So, which archaic-style weapon do you think I could use best in light of my conscience and the fact that I have never used a real weapon in my life?

EDIT: Yes, I am planning this far ahead.

Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Re: Archaic Weapons Help!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 05:18:42 am »
A halberd.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 05:22:41 am »
A halberd.

This seems like a good idea. Any objections?
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:25:22 am »
Nope. No one will dare threaten you if you wave a halberd in their face.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:23:35 am »
Right, it sounds like you want a weapon for the purposes of self defense.  If that's the case, archaic is not what you'd want to go for.  Maybe a baton or even a knife, though that's pushing it.  They often say with guns that you should never fire it unless you intend to kill, and the same goes with any lethal weapon.

However, if you want something that can serve the purpose of a showpiece with the dual purpose of selfdefence, then you can go for something a bit more esoteric.  I myself have a substantial sword collection which I have ammased mainly because it's cool to have, but also because of the practical use in the event of an emergency.

One of the most important things to keep in mind if you are buying a more archaic weapon with practical use in mind is the vast majority of products on the market are only showpieces.  Try to hit anything with them and they're liable to snap in half, or for the blade to fly off or other undesireable effects.  Buy from trusted sources, read reviews or, if buying at a store, pick it up and get a good feel for it.

I can't speak so much for polearms but when it comes to swords there's usually a few easy signs to see if it's useable in practice.  Even many showpieces, while not meant for actual use, can be used in a pinch.  You want to make sure that the balance feels alright and that the blade is full tang (which is to say that the blage extends fully inside the hilt, ensuring that it is attached sturdilly).  Some of the cheap showpieces I have have screw on hilts, which will not take any sort of punishment whatsoever.

From a purely practical standpoint, I would look into getting a machette.  They are often classified as knives, though they can be upwards of 30" long.  They are still used today all over the world as tools and weapons and are very simple, easy to maintain, rugged and effective.  I myself have an old machette from Mexico that I inherited from my uncle.  Despite being rather dull, rusted and 30 years old, with one hand I can easily swing it 3 inches into a tree stump.

If you want something a bit showier, you may want to look at a katana.  They can be expensive, and especially if they're combat ready, and it can be hard to discern if they really are or not, but they can be very effective and intimidating weapons.

In conclusion, I advise you to take a look at the "Cold Steel" website.  They have a number of weapons of varying price, all of which are very real and very combat ready.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:32:36 am »
Taser.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:35:32 am »
How is a tazer archaic?
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 07:41:11 am »
Oh, it isn't at all.  But it fits the description of a "small, defensive armament" a lot better than the things listed in his poll.  I think walking around on a dig site with a freaking longsword strapped to you would be frowned upon.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 07:47:19 am »
I think he meant small as in "not tank sized".

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:53:53 am »
Ok, so after seeing the "Gun help!" thread, I got to thinking that I'll need a small, defensive armament at my side once I go into my field of choice, considering there are records of contemporary paleontology teams getting shot at. However, I don't think I'm ready for the recoil and other drawbacks of a gun, nor am I ready for the suspicion it will draw towards me. So, which archaic-style weapon do you think I could use best in light of my conscience and the fact that I have never used a real weapon in my life?

EDIT: Yes, I am planning this far ahead.

If you find your work forces you into a dangerous location, employ bodyguards and local guides, don't carry a piece of medieval weaponry.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:55:48 am by munchkin5 »

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 08:09:30 am »
Interestingly enough I collect Archaic weapons, and should the need arise I know how to use them if I would need to, but I don't carry them around unless its to take them somewhere (like the medieval fair)

Archaic weapons are good for defense in some circumstances, its not going to do you any good against a gun, but if a knife wielding manic ever broke in to my house I could probably make him wet his pants!

Anyway for a dig site a handgun or taser would be best, not a sword, spear, bow or anything else.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 08:20:10 am »
If you find your work forces you into a dangerous location, employ bodyguards and local guides, don't carry a piece of medieval weaponry.

This.

As unfortunate as it might sound, wielding a piece of medieval or equivalent weaponry while working on a dig site will be seen with massive suspicion in an era where a survival knife or a stun gun would be mostly sufficient.

If someone's out to snuff you, I doubt an archaic weapon would serve you sufficient protection anyway.

If you really want to carry an old weapon despite all of its disadvantages, opt for something not bladed, like a rod. Definitely a rod. Like the combat knife, it has the dual purpose of being a flexible survival tool if you somehow get lost for some reason.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 08:46:48 am »
You could learn to use a quarterstaff and carry it around as a walking stick or cane, not many people will be able to distinguish it as an actual weapon and no one will likely to ask you about it ether, I'm not sure where your from, but its not illegal to have one with you ether so that's a plus (in the US)

If you *must* carry an Archaic blade, then their are actual canes with swords hidden on the inside, I'm not a fan of those personally though.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:09:24 am »
You could learn to use a quarterstaff and carry it around as a walking stick or cane, not many people will be able to distinguish it as an actual weapon and no one will likely to ask you about it ether, I'm not sure where your from, but its not illegal to have one with you ether so that's a plus (in the US)

And with this idea you can pretend to be a warrior monk. That'll make up for not being able to pretend to be a knight.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:19:58 am »
I hear fists make pretty good weapons, try finding some of those.