Author Topic: [KSM] To Switch a Pirate  (Read 13798 times)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
Re: Kosmosis: To Switch a Pirate
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 11:24:08 am »
Dantares was leaning on the arm of the chair as Zuron spoke, and looked at Navor when the Furen Tze finished, "If I were him, I'd head to the area with the most traffic to pick up supplies for a long run, and to be as quiet and unseen as possible in the process... Do you agree, Navor, and which area would that be?"

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 05:28:37 pm »
"I would agree that a supply run would be most likely. Now, whether or not he is intelligent enough to have stockpiles away from civilization is another matter..." Here Navor paused for a moment, thinking. "Now that you mention it, there are several hotspots for pirate activity in the Sigma system, specifically areas where pirate ships are known to dock for certain periods of time." Navor quickly took control of the holographic display and zoomed in on the areas he was talking about. He had seen these charts so many times that he knew them like the back of his hand. "Really, these are the only times that Suul would be able to take on supplies from an actual port. Since that is the case, starting here would be the best option." Navor looked up at the crew, as the holographic display showed three highlighted areas that had been selected by Navor.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 06:01:19 pm »
Dantares nodded to himself, we shall make haste there at once, as soon as the ship leaves port. All of you can go ahead on your quarters or the recreational area. The Source has done its best to accommodate your different tastes in sleeping space, or lack of, if you don't sleep. Try to get to know each other or something, just don't kill each other. The flight won't be long." Dantares waved them out of the bridge, to leave him to his mind, crew, and getting ready to leave.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 11:24:09 am »
Back in his quarters, Zuron busied himself preparing for the operation.

Despite his preference for "standard" firearms, primarily for their ease of use, Zuron always made it a point to include some manner of traditional armament in any of his loadouts. "Never hurts to have some spares...", he mused while examining the small selection of traditional weapons which he spread across his desk. On their own, the tools were not of particular note, just a small assortment of daggers, a pair of crossbows, and a generous number of bolts for use on the latter.

After a close inspection of each, Zuron leaned back as he gradually fell into his bunk, his mind drifting back towards the mission and how this team would ultimately manage to go about it.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 04:23:12 pm »
on entering his section, taca's first observation was that they had neglected a fire pit. he labourously fashioned one out the the furniture. not ideal, but it got the job done. he lit it, after smashing the fire alarm, surprising not triggering it.

things could be better. no Flock meant no tribute to the 17. he would have to make up his debt at a later date, which required a much more envolved ceremony. it couldn't be helped.
     and his damned assistant, Hozai-Peche, had failed to arrive on time. he would help provide for the aformentioned tribute.
    but not until after this task.

Taca scanned his gear. of course, the ceremonial pike, a mandatory armament of a priest. a pair of shard throwers*  and most notably, a fletchet slagger, of Hiraaian origin: one of their infamous magma cannons.

*(basicaly smg's with with a cone of AOE. just detailing. really, I dont give a crap)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 06:15:07 pm by Crazen »
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 08:29:08 pm »
Navor didn't feel like retiring to his quarters just yet, there would be plenty of time for that later. Instead, he decided to head to the galley of the ship, where he fixed himself a drink. It was nonalcoholic, at least to a Forthi, seeing as he was a Source member about to set out on an important mission. Drinking was out of the question, even if there was going to be some time before the ship actually disembarked.

Navor set the drink down on the dining table, which was surprisingly clean. In Navor's past experiences, the dining table in a galley, no matter who the ship belonged to, tended to be dirty and stained with pass usage. Since this was not the case, Navor inferred that the ship was relatively new, or at least the table was.

He decided to sit down, which was really his first chance to rest this day. It had been hectic, what with the mission and team being assembled. But now that it was mostly underway, Navor had time to think. And of course, given the circumstance, his thoughts drifted to Sigma Suul. The case was pretty cut and dry, with very little explanation needed, but there were a few blips that had appeared on Navor's radar after going through the guidelines of the mission.

Suul followed a very specific pattern of attack. The pirate's targets always tended to be merchant ships, or what appeared to be merchant ships. There were several instances where the pirate had attacked Forthi Delegation vessels when he had the upper hand, but besides that, Suul refrained from making contact with other ships. Specifically, in the case of the Source, there had been no attacks made on their ships.

Navor had done some digging and found a number of instances where Source vessels had sighted unmarked ships that bore a resemblence to those under Suul's command. And yet, he had refrained from attacking them. So why had Suul changed his mind? That was the thought that couldn't escape Navor's mind as he stared at his drink.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 09:05:17 pm »
Krag approached Navor from behind. He wanted to get to know at least on of his teammates better before setting out.
"I've noticed you organic creatures tend to flock around these places." He said, sitting in a chair on the end of the table opposite Navor. "So," He continued. "Why are they sending a small group like us at this pirate? Why not just send a fleet, wipe him out, and be done with it? Come to think of it, why is it so secretive? I can understand keeping some secrets, but this level seems detrimental to unit cohesion." He asked, leaning back.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 11:00:59 am »
Navor looked up at Krag as he sat down. Of all the team members, this sentient machine had been the most vocal. This could be both good and bad, depending on the situation, but Krag has asked intelligent and useful questions. That gave Navor a good idea of his character, or at least a glimpse at it.

"I've been thinking along the same lines as you," Navor said, although he hastily added, "somewhat." Navor looked back down at his drink before continuing. "They keep telling us that they want to be stealthy, mainly because we will be infringing on Forthi Delegation territory. Even though Suul is a pirate, the FD doesn't believe in extradition, and they especially don't like foreign ships in their territory. Especially foreign ships with guns." Navor paused for a moment as he took a drink. "At least, that's what they keep telling me. But I think there's something more to this. Not sure what though."

There was a silence for a few moments as Navor let this information sink in.

"But what's your story?" Navor asked, looking at Krag.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 11:35:59 am »
Navor's question took Krab by surprise. He blinked.
"Well." He said. "There's not much to me. I was "born" on our homeworld, Beshir. We Krin, being machines, are not "born" in the way you organic beings are. Our AI develops inside that of our parents in a partition of their hard drive. When we're fully matured, we are transferred into a full body as adults. As such, we don't have a childhood or such things. Not long after I was "born", I joined the military, and much around the same time, adopted the Source as my religion. I'm not a very close follower; I barely even practice. Inherently I was picked for this for my skill, not my belief." He chuckled. "Anyway," He continued. "In the military, we don't go through a training like you organics do, all the skills and tactics we need are simply uploaded into our hard drive. One of the things they upload is with is to gain as much knowledge as possible about any battle or operation we're going into, hence all my questions. That's why all the secrecy bothers me a bit, inside our military info is pretty open. Spies are a nearly impossible thing among our kind, as trying to hack or reprogram us is nearly, and I mean nearly, impossible." He looked around.
"It's amazing how different we are from you guys. Among ourselves, we simply use an identification number. Mine, for example, is VWT-02175. Most organic creatures find these numbers cumbersome when dealing with many of us. So, we adapted the practice of taking a name so interacting with non-Krin lifeforms would be easier. So far it has worked pretty well. Anyway, what's your story? I've spent my time rambling, now I want to hear about you." He said, sitting upright.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 02:16:57 pm »
Navor inwardly cringed when Krag mentioned he wasn't very devout, although no one could tell. Navor had managed to mask that emotion from welling up, and instead continued to stare at his glass and Krag alternatively. When Krag mentioned how different the Krin were from the other organics on the ship, all Navor could do was nod his head in agreement.

In more ways than one, he thought to himself.

"Well," Navor said, tossing the question around in his head, "there really wasn't anything special about my upbringing. Middle-class family, decent education, all of that good stuff. Eventually, I decided that the Source was my true calling, and I've devoted my life to their causes ever since. It has truly opened my eyes, and I hope to someday be able to spread its message to other races throughout the galaxy. Maybe then we would all be able to live in peace and harmony." Navor said this with such conviction that it was impossible to doubt his beliefs. This was also the reason why he had been selected for this mission, and it showed.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 09:05:05 pm by Josasa »

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 05:00:50 pm »
As the two continued their conversation, another figure entered the room.

Zuron promptly whipped up a sparkling glass of lightly flavored water, dunking in a straw before heading towards the tables. He spotted the seemingly engrossed pair not long after. Having nothing better to do while hanging in the galley, he decided to approach the two and try to jump in on the talk.

"Care to add another person in your conversation?", Zuron politely inquired as he placed his hand on the back of a chair directly beside the two.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 07:42:24 pm »
"Feel free," Navor said, motioning for Zuron to sit down. "We were just telling our own personal tales, I guess you could say. So far, we've got a machine bred for war, and an organic bred to preach. Couldn't be more different if we tried," Navor said with a chuckle. "What's your story, if you'd be inclined to tell us?"

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
Re: [KSM] To Switch a Pirate
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2011, 09:29:54 am »
"My story?", Zuron spoke softly while settling into his seat, his eyes briefly glancing skyward. Looking back at Navor, he continued, trying to find the right phrase for what he was going to say. "You can probably call it..."

"A warrior bred to protect...", Zuron's voice rose slightly and with spirit, before suddenly lowering his tone as he added the other half of the statement. "... yet prevented from actually doing it." He took a quick sip and began to clear his throat.

"Even as a child, I've always been interested in other worlds, worlds beyond my home in Furen. I spent almost as much time studying the foreign as I did about my own. Basically, I'm what other Furen Tze might call, odd.", a slight chuckle came out of Zuron as he took another sip. "Since foreigners aren't allowed anywhere near the planet, I never really got the chance to meet one while growing up. The first time I would meet one would be when I joined the military, where I slowly climbed the ladder while hopping from star to star. More importantly...", he paused for a moment after giving a brief sigh.

"That's when I saw it.", he continued, his voice having a slightly different, more somber air to it than before. "The true state of Furen."

"Everywhere I went, I saw in foreign worlds progress, advancement, a thirst for something new, for something that could improve the way people lived. If only the same could be said of Furen.", Zuron paused, his grip on the glass tightened. "We were getting left behind, and I knew that if Furen was ever to be kept safe, we simply couldn't go on like that."

"Or so I thought. I tried everything I could to awaken the same sentiment in others. In the end, eons of tradition proved far too strong to overcome, and I failed my mission. Following that, I decided to leave Furen and make a new life for myself somewhere else.", Zuron took one last sip before placing an empty glass on the table and clearing his throat again.

"One thing led to another and that somewhere else eventually became the Source."

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2011, 12:50:23 pm »
Navor could only nod at Zuron's tale.

"I've heard of your race, but I must admit, I don't know much about them. Perhaps you can fill me in on them as this mission progresses." Navor looked back down at his cup. A sudden wave of exhaustion washed over him, as if only now the days events had finally caught up with him. The fact that his cup was empty only served to magnify the effect.

"Well, gentlemen, I'm afraid to say that I'm going to retire to my quarters. This day has been hard on me, and I'm going to need all my energy for the trials ahead. I wish you the best of nights." Navor rose from his seat, executed a slight bow to both beings, set his cup in a nearby receptacle, and exited the room.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 01:20:02 am »
Dantares had been giving out the occasional order as they prepared to take off, but mostly spent his time staring at the hologram, considering the mission. It was understandable that the Source was going after Suul for striking, but the troubling thing was the intensity of the Source's retribution, and Navor's revealing that Suul had never attacked a Source ship before. Something simply didn't sit right with Dantares.

He'd quickly come to a conclusion, but he wasn't going to go telling the crew or the team. If he was right, it'd be best to not let anyone else know that didn't need to know. The level of secrecy on this mission warranted it. Besides, if whatever Suul had taken was particularly important, it might be beneficial to say it'd been destroyed with the ship, while quietly moving it to one of Dantares' storages. An ace up his sleeve would be useful if the Source ever turned on him.

He turned on the ship's com as one of the technicians informed him they were about to leave, "Taking off in five minutes. We'll be on our way shortly." He got up to leave the bridge, the crew nodding to him in salute as he went to his quarters.

The Captain's Quarters were separate from the others, contained within the reinforced shell that protected the bridge, and also a fair bit larger. Dantares kept it pretty bare though. No sense in constantly moving stuff from ship to ship. He set his helmet on a shelf, and began to remove his armor, "Send a message to the Resonator, tell him we'll soon be on our way." The computer beeped an affirmative.

Dantares sat on the bed, his skeleton no longer clothed. He held a hand to his chin in contemplation, This mission is definitely going to be eventful... He laid on the bed, drifting off to sleep as the ship began to leave port, accelerating into space.