Author Topic: Kosmosis: The Cuuth-Guri  (Read 6667 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: Kosmosis: The Cuuth-Guri
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 06:06:34 am »
Josasa pretty much nailed it.

And as he said, missiles can maneuver and thus don't require a line of sight.

So to reiterate what I said earlier...

Orbital Space: directed energy weapons < missiles

Outer Space: directed energy weapons > missiles

Planetary defense units, as well as planetary siege units, should use mostly missiles. The reverse then holds true for deep space units.

Another reason on why I don't want to use railguns for ship battles is because of the distances that are likely involved. True, it fires projectiles at high velocities, but the target would see that and dodge it. In the book, a ship that deployed a railgun fired it at a target that was several AUs away that was chasing a friendly ship that was heading to a outer planet in the system. The problem is, at the time the gun fired, the target wasn't even chasing the friendly. Nineteen days later, the target is chasing the friendly, and the two projectiles the railgun fired, both managed to hit the target. That doesn't seem realistic to me.

Indeed.

Whoever was commanding that ship does not know how to properly use a mass driver.

Mass drivers are the bargain price CQC weapons of space. For military organizations that can't afford to deck all of their ships with close-range DEWs, mass drivers are the next best thing since they run under the exact the same principle, but with mass instead of radiation.

Other than that, there is the seldom mentioned advantage of mass drivers being incredibly easy to protect from enemy fire. Mass drivers are basically just long straight magnetic tunnels which you can place anywhere on the ship, even at the center. Long-range DEWs would look more like giant radar dishes since radiation tends to scatter after a certain distance, necessitating the use of very intense focusing.

I think I read/saw somewhere that a ship in it used it's solar collectors as heat radiators, would that work?

While that is possible, it will be comparatively less efficient at either of those tasks.

In the same book series in a later part of it, the ship in it had roughly the same hab modules as mine, but it "folded" them for acceleration. I'm not sure what that means. And a wall turning into a floor, wouldn't that happen only during the acceleration and deceleration?

Funny thing about space is that there isn't any natural force that can "correct" you from an ac/decelerated state. Every time the ship speeds up or slows down, you'll have to readjust the habitat's orientation manually.

The ship used a combination of using the reaction mass, shield cap, and a electromagnetic field to protect it against interstellar particles and radiation. I'm thinking of using only the last two only with the inside of the shield cap constructed with radiation resistant materials.

A solid combination, I'd say. Perfect for emergencies wherein any single one of the systems fail.

Broken wall? Don't worry, the mag shield's still up.  : D

Mag shield down? No prob, the wall can handle it.  ; )

I first thought of using ion thrusters, but even with advance ones, I doubt they would produce enough thrust to dodge in time.

Ion thrusters are the absolute worst when it comes to acceleration. Ion thrusters are for long stretched out voyages that necessitate fuel economy over short-term performance.

For really crazy accelerations, use an Orion drive, though that might be a bit overkill.

I'll think about this a bit more...

Theres also the concept of bomb-pumped laser warheads.

Interesting. First time I've heard of this term.

Is this the one which uses explosions to power up an energy weapon?

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 12:46:24 pm »
Interesting. First time I've heard of this term.

Is this the one which uses explosions to power up an energy weapon?

Basically. I think the original idea came from the Honor Harrington book series. What they did was basically detonate a low kiloton nuke and in the instants before the equipment was destroyed, a collector collected all the energy from the detonation it could and shoot it as what I think was a X-Ray laser. Bomb-pumped lasers missiles was what made up most major star nations entire ship-to-ship missile armament, pirates used regular kiloton nukes.

From a brief description, the missiles are quite large and the components are likely cheaply made if thats what they throw around.

Funny thing about space is that there isn't any natural force that can "correct" you from an ac/decelerated state. Every time the ship speeds up or slows down, you'll have to readjust the habitat's orientation manually.

I'll think I'll go with the rotating section, likely more cheaper than rotating pods and crew and passengers won't be occupying the hab pods, the crew will be awake until acceleration begins, then they'll be in cyro stasis for the entire journey until they reach the outer part of the target system.

Ion thrusters are the absolute worst when it comes to acceleration. Ion thrusters are for long stretched out voyages that necessitate fuel economy over short-term performance.

For really crazy accelerations, use an Orion drive, though that might be a bit overkill.

I'll think about this a bit more...

I think I'll stick with conventional reaction thrusters.

Indeed.

Whoever was commanding that ship does not know how to properly use a mass driver.

Mass drivers are the bargain price CQC weapons of space. For military organizations that can't afford to deck all of their ships with close-range DEWs, mass drivers are the next best thing since they run under the exact the same principle, but with mass instead of radiation.

Other than that, there is the seldom mentioned advantage of mass drivers being incredibly easy to protect from enemy fire. Mass drivers are basically just long straight magnetic tunnels which you can place anywhere on the ship, even at the center. Long-range DEWs would look more like giant radar dishes since radiation tends to scatter after a certain distance, necessitating the use of very intense focusing.

What about the MAC guns from Halo, I think they out-ranged at least most Covenant weaponry, including the pulse lasers they had. I can't be sure though since the last Halo book I read was years ago.

Speaking of weapons, you have yet to comment on using sand or metal balls instead of explosive missile warheads.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 12:40:15 am »
Speaking of weapons, you have yet to comment on using sand or metal balls instead of explosive missile warheads.

Grox pretty much covered that part.

What about the MAC guns from Halo, I think they out-ranged at least most Covenant weaponry, including the pulse lasers they had. I can't be sure though since the last Halo book I read was years ago.

Indeed, a MAC round, any mass driver round, actually, is capable of just that.

The only problem is that after a certain distance, mass drivers become easy to evade, since the target now has enough leg time to actually dodge the round.

For example, there isn't much of a difference speed-wise between mass drivers and DEWs when your target is on the same planet. However, if you're going to snipe something from, let's say, a quarter of an AU away, the mass driver's relatively slower speed becomes readily apparent.

Rule of thumb: The slower your target is, the larger the effective range of a mass driver becomes.

-bomb-pumped lasers-

Oh, right, completely forgot about those.  -_-'

Yeah, those things could work.

While not necessarily "cheap", it's not really that different from most other space tech, cost-wise.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 10:26:04 am »
X-ray laser? Cool.
Wouldn't do a helluva lotta damage to the ship, but you always gotta love radiation poisoning for the crew!

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 12:24:08 pm »
I think it was a X-Ray laser, though all it mainly did was destroy turrets, launchers, and subsystems as well as creating large hull breaches. They were using pretty big missiles.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!