Author Topic: So Germany is going Green - The Nuclear Energy Thread  (Read 14817 times)

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
Re: So Germany is going Green - The Nuclear Energy Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2011, 03:58:49 am »
http://archive.greenpeace.org/comms/nukes/chernob/rep02.html
http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2010/02/vermont_yankee_radioactive_lea.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civilian_nuclear_accidents#1950s
I never said that it happens on a regular basis, by procedure of the plant, but it happens often due to failures of often ancient technology and dumb ass people who can't do their jobs right.

these links should provide you more than enough info on releases, but if that isn't enough for you I'll post more and more and more.
with best regards,
-Detoxicated V
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2011, 05:41:51 am »
I think most failures that happen to anything are due to outdated technologies and people not doing their jobs.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2011, 06:28:27 am »
Yea, bur a leak in a coal power plant doesn't lead to radioactive pollution, a failing solar power plant doesn't leak that either. When technology and people fail in a nuclear plant lives are risked.
Also: http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=8785 and http://www.news-medical.net/news/2007/12/10/33273.aspx
-Detoxicated V
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 06:38:10 am by Detoxicated »

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2011, 07:57:35 am »
Chernobyl was built out of duct tape and unicorn fur. To say that it was not up to code would've been the understatement of the twentieth century. The Soviets decided to build it retardedly. Enough said.

And let's not forget that the failure was specifically due to a test that no one approved, was done with a crew that wasn't trained for it, and required turning off all the failsafes they had.

It really was the perfect disaster.

Three Mile Island, well, if my sources are correct, there were insignificant casualties if any; plus it was caused by user inefficiency, rather than any sort of problem with the power source.

Zero casualties and a study done years later concluded that the cancer rate for those involved was no higher than the national average.

Am I the only person who thinks that we should seriously look into antimatter energy generation? Really, you get no leftover waste from that stuff. NO WASTE. AT ALL. An if anyone brings up the fact that it would obliterate the planet, it could just as easily be produced on demand so none is ever in storage.

Oh come on, I just went over this.  You can't generate power with antimatter.  You can store power, but it takes a thousand times more energy to make the stuff than what it puts out.  And do you know how much of a nightmare it would be to harness that for anything other than rocket fuel?

Actually, that's a perfect analogy.  Rocket fuel is many times more powerful than oil, but no one uses it in power plants because it take enormous amounts of time and money to make the stuff and the manufacturing process uses more energy than the rocket fuel will return.

You see, folks, Dan Brown books aren't just wrong about their wild conspiracy theories and religious conjecture.  They get all the science wrong too.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2011, 09:22:44 am »
There's a lot of misinformation in those sources Detox; those two lists you posted don't provide much detail about levels of radiation released, or specific risks caused by them, and those articles about increased cancer risk aren't accurate, they don't even cite their sources and there's an awful lot of evidence to the contrary out there.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 09:24:37 am by munchkin5 »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2011, 10:43:21 am »
Thats because hippies, by definition, are terrible at facts and science.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2011, 03:38:14 pm »
I always found power generation using Nuclear Fission and/or Fusion absurd, because in one you're using the power of an exploding atom to... put on a tea-kettle, basically. And the other, you're using the mother****ing Sun, to do the same thing. Unless I misunderstood how the current conception of power generation via Fusion would be, it'd be using the heat generated to boil water, right?

Edit: I'm not saying their bad/wrong. Just kind of funny.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:45:32 pm by Doctor Z »

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2011, 03:55:24 pm »
Essentially it all comes down to converting it to kinetic energy. Boiling water to turn dynamoes is a very efficient end easy method.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2011, 03:56:52 pm »
Yep. Still incredibly silly when you think about it. We're all running on steam, albeit indirectly.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2011, 04:25:07 pm »
Actually, fusion is moving away from the original Tokamak designs, that used magnetic fields to focus the reaction and generate heat for your "tea kettle", and towards Focus Fussion, which causes the plasma to compress under it's own magnetic field in such a way that it emits a directed electron beam that can be used in combination with coils to generate electricity directly.

Welcome to the ****ing future, it's powered by electric laser beams.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2011, 04:36:29 pm »
SO why don't you post sources for a change? I haven't seen any yet. At least I provide info based on something, you just state that I am wrong. So I guess the hippy is more interested in showing the truth. Show me that I am wrong, I am willing to learn. Also I am not a hippie, you don't know me.
-Detoxicated V
Edit: There is also an awful lot of evidence to prove the increased risk of cancer, so I guess it's truth against truth.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 04:39:01 pm by Detoxicated »

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2011, 04:37:42 pm »
So I heard that you can get skin cancer from being out in the sun too long

BAN SOLAR POWER

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2011, 04:46:53 pm »
So I heard that you can get skin cancer from being out in the sun too long

BAN SOLAR POWER
And that's the reason why I don't do crack
-Detoxicated III

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2011, 04:52:01 pm »
Actually, fusion is moving away from the original Tokamak designs, that used magnetic fields to focus the reaction and generate heat for your "tea kettle", and towards Focus Fussion, which causes the plasma to compress under it's own magnetic field in such a way that it emits a directed electron beam that can be used in combination with coils to generate electricity directly.

Welcome to the ****ing future, it's powered by electric laser beams.

They're moving away from fusion? Well that massive new reactor in France is gonna be a waste of money then.

Also, sources tomorrow, sleep now.