Author Topic: So Germany is going Green - The Nuclear Energy Thread  (Read 14815 times)

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
So Germany is going Green - The Nuclear Energy Thread
« on: May 31, 2011, 09:33:19 am »
Hey guys, have you heard? Germany has passed laws, which state that there will be no nuclear energy used after the year 2022 in good ole Germany. This was possible due to the Green party, which rooted in the eighties and which has since then been a political activator for the green cause. What are your thoughts on this? What are your thoughts on nuclear energy? What are you thoughts on renewable ressources?

Discuss!
-Detoxicated III

OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
Re: So Germany is going Green - The Nuclear Energy Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 09:41:07 am »
11 years is plenty of time to reverse the decision. I think they just did it to appease the green crowd, since they got all hot and bothered after what happened in Japan.
Nuclear energy is plenty safe though, there's little chance of a tsunami in Germany, and they're not in any earthquake-prone areas, IIRC. Even though Germany's pretty large, I doubt there's enough room to build the amount of windmills and solar panels required to generate enough electricity for the country if you forgo less green options.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 09:49:11 am »
Getting rid of nuclear energy.

Not coal power.

HURRDURRDURRDURR
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 09:50:12 am »
...there's little chance of a tsunami in Germany, and they're not in any earthquake-prone areas, IIRC.

Yeah but for some reason, Komedy Sam has been stockpiling dynamite under Zealand for the last few months.

Fishy, I say.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 09:55:47 am »
Hooray for reactionary politics! Something happened that we've been told is very bad, and we don't care to inform ourselves about the dangers of such things happening near us!

Do we care that nuclear power is the safest form of energy? No!

Do we care that the worst energy-related disaster, which killed hundreds of thousands of people in China was a hydroelectric damn bursting, and Chenobyl only killed 46 people directly? No!

Because who needs facts when we have convictions and pre-concieved ideas!

Good god this is a terrible decision and the Germans should feel bad for making it.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:04:19 am »
Getting rid of nuclear energy.

Not coal power.

Well at least they promised to shut down all the oil power stations after that unpleasant business in the Gulf of Mexico.
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 10:04:45 am »
Can I say Nuclear waste?

Also solar energy, independence from a Russian plutonium market... The thing is with the green party, and hell I am not even voting for them, they want to push renewable energies which I find a good idea, considering that we are wasting away our most valuable resources like coal and oil and gas. So there is no anti-nuclear power kid in this realm of the internet, I am surprised
11 years is plenty of time to reverse the decision. I think they just did it to appease the green crowd, since they got all hot and bothered after what happened in Japan.
Nuclear energy is plenty safe though, there's little chance of a tsunami in Germany, and they're not in any earthquake-prone areas, IIRC. Even though Germany's pretty large, I doubt there's enough room to build the amount of windmills and solar panels required to generate enough electricity for the country if you forgo less green options.
. You're right the coalition of liberals and conservatives was against the stopping of nuclear energy before the tsunami, so they do it to save some votes. But many states of germany are already voting new governments so the regional powerholders change quite alot these days. I believe if you put sufficient fundings in solar energy you can make it more efficient than any other energy. Also you can invest alot in energy saving technologies and you can create more efficient products that simply use less energy. I say if the nuclear waste problem was solved, and if the power plants were actually maintained well I wouldn't be against nuclear energy, but you know how corporations with monopolies are ::)
-Detoxicated III
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:12:30 am by Detoxicated »

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 10:12:26 am »
I like the 'Better Box' method. We secure the nuclear waste in a box we know will only be useful for a finite amount of time - 50 to 100 years or so - giving our decendents some incentive to keep technology moving forward, building better boxes or uses for nuclear waste. Ultimately, the best solution would be some way to recycle nuclear waste.

And the ultimate, ultimate solution? Fusion power.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 10:15:26 am »
Nuclear waste is like a million times less bad than massive emmisions from fossil-burning power stations and industry, and as people have rightly pointed out, no country of significant size and industrial capacity could satisfy its energy needs on renewable sources alone, barring some kind of unforseen technological breakthrough like mad-efficient solar cells made of sand and wishes.
Even taking into account the problem of waste and accidents like Chernobyl and Fukushima, nuclear is still a less environmentall damaging option than fossil fuels.

I'm frankly baffled as to why a country which is one of the largest producers of nuclear power in the world would suddenly just completely give it up in the wake of one disaster which can't even happen where they are.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 10:15:37 am »
I know this guy named Iran that may want our nuclear waste. Why not give it to him?

He seems legit.

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 10:25:17 am »
The thing is, how can you defend a technology which proves to be very dangerous to the Human race? I mean okay there has been only two meltdowns, but there are quite many minor miseries in these plants where alot of radioactive material is released into the public. This is always overseen by the authorities because the energy lobbys hold power over them. Why is it that people who support renewable energies, energies that become more effective every year, are looked at like they are lunatics when they are actually trying to show a piece for a better solution. I mean just looking at aesthetics solely you would rather live next to a huge solar plant than next to a nuclear reactor now, or wouldn't you?

I'm frankly baffled as to why a country which is one of the largest producers of nuclear power in the world would suddenly just completely give it up in the wake of one disaster which can't even happen where they are.
There has been a movement going on for over twenty years, the green party formed on the grounds of being against nuclear energy. Have you actually seen the latest inventions on the renewable market, and don't forget where moving on from there. If we put collective effort into it we will have all the technologies needed for a self sustaining future. There is far more than wind, water and solar energy. You have thermo-energy, tidal movement energy etc. As the corporations do not have a real interest in these technologies though, the scientific effort put into it is rather low in comparison to other fields. Oh yea, there is also clean coal and oil plants too, and you can use the CO2 produced in these plants to breed algae growing on sewer treatment plants to create biofuel. There is a buckload of possibilities, and I am sure we didn't even get to see the tip of the iceberg.

-Detoxicated XX

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 10:27:07 am »
You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have my opening statement.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 10:34:52 am »
The thing is, how can you defend a technology which proves to be very dangerous to the Human race?

Ok, lets ban all internal combustion vehicles. Look at the death tolls. How could anyone support something so provenly dangerous to the human race.

Oh, I know. Because if we did that society as we know it would collapse and we would revert to some sort of appaling feudal hellhole.

You can't just not use something because there is a risk attached.

Also, as for renewable energy and so forth, yeah, great. There are innovations and whatnot, but there's still nothing that can provide all our energy needs. It is just a matter of numbers, even if every country in the world bankrupted itself building windfarms and solar panels and upgrading energy grids and whatever else. I'm not saying there will never be a solution, with enough time, technology can probably solve any problem we face, eventually renewable energy will be able to provide for us all. But that time isn't now, and we certainly aren't going to speed our progress toward that end by plunging the world into a horrific energy crisis by shutting down all the existing power plants and expecting renewable energy to pick up the slack.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 10:49:33 am »
Tidal power? Do you have any idea of the enviromental impact of those things are?

Those are some delicate ecosystems.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 10:52:24 am »
Why is it that people who support renewable energies, energies that become more effective every year, are looked at like they are lunatics when they are actually trying to show a piece for a better solution. I mean just looking at aesthetics solely you would rather live next to a huge solar plant than next to a nuclear reactor now, or wouldn't you?
Now that's just playing the victim role and exaggerating the other group's viewpoint. Supporters of renewable energy aren't ridiculed, opponents just don't see it as a currently-viable solution to the energy problem.
And bringing aesthetics into a discussion like this is pretty useless. When discussion the energy production of an entire country, you don't pick the one that looks the best when you drive by.

As the corporations do not have a real interest in these technologies though, the scientific effort put into it is rather low in comparison to other fields.
That alone proves that most of these technologies aren't really viable in a reasonable timespan. If there was even the possibility of medium-term profit, don't you think corporations would jump at the chance?

Oh yea, there is also clean coal and oil plants too, and you can use the CO2 produced in these plants to breed algae growing on sewer treatment plants to create biofuel. There is a buckload of possibilities, and I am sure we didn't even get to see the tip of the iceberg.
I think that produces more CO2 than you can use to grow algae though. And how clean is it really if it still produces emission gasses?
Plus, oil is running out, investing in that sounds a bit wasteful.

-Detoxicated XX
Off-topic, but why do you keep signing your posts with this?