Author Topic: Project Zomboid  (Read 11373 times)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Re: Project Zomboid
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 11:42:01 am »

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 03:57:17 pm »
the version I have isn't the auto updating pirated version they are talking about that is losing them money,
the version I have is the offline version it mentions
offline versions, which we’ve been largely unconcerned about, do not cost us real money

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 09:11:48 am »
Oppurtunity cost. You are costing them money if you intended to buy the game if you could not find a proper pirated version...

...and really, it's pretty sad if you couldn't fork out 5 bucks to give the game a shot.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 09:23:59 am »
Gotta love them pirates, apparently even 5 bucks is to much. But man they are so justified! how can  they  be expected to buy a game without a demo man!? what if it has DRM man! they gotta check! or they gotta get it and stick it to the big man because the big man charges to much!

5 bucks....

Reminds me of how much the humble indie bundle got pirated despite the fact you could buy it for a penny if you wished.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 10:26:15 am »
...and really, it's pretty normal if you aren't willing to fork out 5 bucks to give a pre-alpha leak of an incomplete game a trial.
I fixed that for you.

Reminds me of how much the humble indie bundle got pirated despite the fact you could buy it for a penny if you wished.
Except that is completely different. Buying a game that isn't even at alpha stage, when all you have is goodwill to assure you they will actually complete the project, without even having a look at a halted offline version first, is a longshot from pirating a cluster of finished, functional full games that you can purchase for penny that goes to charity. One is caution without costing the developer, the other is greed. If you're going to go on an anti-piracy tirade, at least do yourself the favour of waiting for a ripe subject so your strawmen don't make you look so over-reactionary.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 10:36:33 am »
No no, its perfectly reasonable that you don't want to spend money on an incomplete game. But if that is how you feel then why do you feel that you are in fact entitled to play/own it anyway as opposed to waiting until a time when the game is complete and worth your money?

If you don't trust their goodwill don't buy it and move the hell on, don't run and pirate it because its totally not worth your money but you want to play it anyway.

Very very simple to understand.

Just because you don't think its worth the money does not mean you are entitled to have it for free anyway.

If you can not afford it does not mean you are entitled to have it for free anyway.

Just because you would not ever buy it anyway does not mean you are entitled to have it for free anyway.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 10:53:10 am »
No no, its perfectly reasonable that you don't want to spend money on an incomplete game. But if that is how you feel then why do you feel that you are in fact entitled to play/own it anyway as opposed to waiting until a time when the game is complete and worth your money?
Just because you don't think its worth the money does not mean you are entitled to have it for free anyway.
If you can not afford it does not mean you are entitled to have it for free anyway.
Just because you would not ever buy it anyway does not mean you are entitled to have it for free anyway.
An incomplete pre-alpha leak is not representative of a full final product, and can act as a sneak-peak in place of any official demo, to help decide whether or not it is worth making that little investment. Yeah, we could wait for an official demo in the far future, but when you consider how barebones the leak is at the moment, they are not being harmed beyond perhaps an 'invasion of privacy' of an incomplete work they might not want to show. We're not talking about the latest version, nor a full product, or anything that stands to harm them. They even stated they aren't concerned about the leaked, older offline version. By all means have the discussion stopped on grounds of legality and by premise of discussion of anything piracy related (being against the rules and potential piracy-related sharing is a good reason to have this clipped now), but lets not inject false moral supremacy here. This isn't about entitlement. For me, this is about turning a molehill into a mountain. As I said, you could at least wait for a situation or subject more immediately ripe for discussion, and not an outdated pre-alpha leak, man. You're scraping the barrel here, and I don't think it is warranted at all.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:57:48 am by Uroboros »

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 01:35:04 pm »
[attempts to justify illegal pirating]

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2011, 02:22:19 pm »
[acts like legality and ethics are the same thing]

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2011, 05:52:54 pm »
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 07:12:21 am »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2011, 10:43:38 am »
I hear this game got all kinds of jacked up.

Anyone in the loop know if it's still coming out or not?

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2011, 11:17:15 am »
Last I heard, it is not.

The top guy got his laptops stolen. He had had the game "backed up" by copying it from one laptop to the other, though they were right beside each other. They both got stolen.

He freaked out on twitter but said he'd continue. Then a bunch of people started calling him unprofessional or a conman while he got drunker, until eventually he said "**** you guys, I'm going back to business programming." Or something to that effect. The other programmers just started being horrible to their fans, saying they were going to take their money and run, for some strange reason. It was, obviously, a PR nightmare. :P

However the site says that they're back on for it? So I guess they sobered up.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Met

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Well... whatever.
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Userpage
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 07:21:58 am »
Ironically I bought this yesterday before seeing all that.

I enjoyed the few hours I played.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2011, 09:08:31 am »
Well, hopefully they'll actually stick to it and release the damn thing, so you didn't just waste your money.
If this gets further towards release I know i'll be getting it, but I still worry for the things chances of surviving that long.