Author Topic: Pointing out flaws in popular fictional spacecraft  (Read 24584 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Pointing out flaws in popular fictional spacecraft
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:49:29 pm »
It's glaringly obvious that 99% of spacecraft in fiction suffer from bad design.

Basically, the objective of the game is to take a ship from any popular work and point out the flaws in them.

The one rule is to follow the format below:

• Criticize the ship posted by the previous person.
  • Post another ship to be criticized by the person after you.

For example:

Poster 1:

Poster 2:

Giant exposed bridge.

Battle 25 from Macross Frontier.

So, to start it all off...

The Death Star from the first Star Wars Trilogy.

Offline Eagle

• Donkey Kong King
  • I AM SO FASHIONABLE
    • View Profile
Re: Pointing out flaws in popular fictional spacecraft
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 02:26:35 pm »
Hey now, the first iteration or the second?

Well in both: Painful chute leading directly to the core.
I am bloody FASHIONABLE eagle!1!

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 05:59:05 pm »
The links between the saucer and hull, and the warp nacelles and hull are very weak points - if the shields were to fail, concentrated fire on these points would, on the forward separator cut off crew movement from the saucer to the rest of the ship, and given the main crew concentration is in the saucer this would render the vast majority of the ships crew sitting ducks. Compounding this issue is the fact that this is an earlier Galaxy class ship which may not have the voluntary saucer separation function demonstrated by the Enterprise iteration NCC-1701D.
The back separators are even more of an issue since severing a warp nacelle from the ship would cripple its maneuverability by effectively remove its engines, and also greatly increase the risk of a warp core breach which would likely destroy the rest of the ship in the resulting matter-antimatter blast.

For your analytical pleasure, I present the Umgah Drone:

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 06:27:46 pm »
Um, I don't know if I'm reading this right, but it seems that the antimatter vent being in the front, as well as having a grate, will have serious annihilation-related problems.

Also, if it's intended to run in atmosphere, (as any sort of "intake" would suggest) it is not aerodynamic at all, which is a problem.

Anyways, I present to you... this thing, that I found by searching "spaceship" on Google.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 07:17:03 pm »
I'm starting to like this thread already. I'm no expert at starship engineering, but I'll do my best.

Anyway, the bottom protrusion is curved so that any weapons fire there will likely ricochet back at the ship's hull. Same goes for the structure on the top of the ship.

Those two side protrusions don't seem to have any use whatsoever aside from having more lights.

Heres a Earthforce Omega-class destroyer from searching "Babylon 5 ships" on Google.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 07:50:14 pm by Galactic-Warrior »
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:58:28 pm »
Not carrying enough nukes, the only reliable way to take out a Minbari ship.

Compounding this issue is the fact that this is an earlier Galaxy class ship which may not have the voluntary saucer separation function

I'll nitpick, it's a Constitution Class not Galaxy. (and it doesn't have Saucer separation)

EDIT: Bonus points for not saying "Exposed Bridge"
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:27:09 pm »
The only two issues I can think of about a ISD, apart from the highly exposed you-know-what, are the highly exposed shield generators, and the lack of suficient anti-fighter/bomber guns.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 10:02:55 pm »
GG forgot to post a spacecraft, so I'll comment on the Star Destroyer.

The design indicates thinking in two dimensions. The bottom is lacking in firepower, and the bridge has no view of the underside. It looks more like a stylized ironclad than a proper spaceship.

And now, a picture by a friend of mine depicting the Martian cylinder from The War of the Worlds.

It's 30 yards across at the the base, and is shaped like a bullet. It travels at incredible speeds, but has a somewhat minimal propulsion system, relying mainly on the force of its launch from the large-scale hydrogen accelerator (it was shot out of a giant space gun on Mars). It lands by crashing into the earth, and unscrews at one end to let its occupants out. Keep in mind that the function of this spacecraft is a one-way trip from Point A to Point B as fast as possible.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 12:27:38 am »
Doesn't seem like much of a spacecraft to me. I suspect it doesn't have much in the way of armor, just enough to survive atmospheric entry. A high-powered laser cannon on any ship with a sufficient targeting system could likely shoot it down in space.

I don't think it has any maneuvering thrusters either. So if the Martian space cannon's aim is off, those within the transport cylinder would be screwed unless the Martians have spaceships.

A Columbia-class Battlestar, otherwise known as the Battlestar Galactica.

In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 02:09:49 pm »
What about the Heart of Gold? The main flaw is that it's to damn awesome.

Actually, if you passed through every point in the universe you would never slow down. There are an infinite number of points and if you multiply that by the size of the universe, infinity times infinity, your brain would melt. Also you would never stop. Plus, you would probably turn into a lump of provolone cheese, no matter how improbable that is. Excuse while I untie my brain.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 04:36:40 pm »
Ignoring the post above me, The Galactica looks ugly from underneath,

The Foreshadow!
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 08:58:57 pm »
It looks ridiculous. >_> No visible means of propulsion, no visible storage for fuel, no visible structure for crew or control of any kind. It's from the "lets hand wave everything" school of scifi, and is therefore lame compared to most of the other ships thus far posted.

This is the most realistically designed spacecraft thus far presented in fiction. It's from Avatar. :D

Green Arrow denotes its direction with powered thrust; Matter-Antimatter thrust is denoted by pink arrows.
ISV Venture Star

(click to see bigger version without text)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 10:27:24 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the part connecting the propulsion system and the habitation units seem like it's pretty liable to snapping if the vessel to ever turn around.

Other than that, it seems pretty spot on.

The DuQuesne class superdreadnought from the Honorverse.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 10:44:49 pm »
Going with the assumption that these ships are made for this "wall of battle" configuration, there's the problem of thinking of thinking in two dimensions again.  What happens if the Wall is attacked from the side or above/below?

Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 10:47:35 pm »
Those wings reduce visibility from the sides. It has no shields whatsoever. It only has two laser cannons and is carrier dependent. No life support so the pilot is screwed if his suit is breached. A really sucky fighter.

I now present THE space battleship. The Earth interstellar battleship Yamato.