Author Topic: Canceled too soon!  (Read 57367 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Canceled too soon!
« on: December 16, 2005, 05:09:18 pm »
It had to have happend to you at least once. You tune into this new show you've really been getting into. You can't wait for the next episode. And suddenly you realize that you're watching an old episode of "Laverne and Shirley". No you aren't losing your mind. (At least I don't think you are...) Your show was canceled. And no amount of critic acclaim saved it.

This is post for you to list the shows you got into that became just that "Canceled too soon" And when i say too soon, I mean 2 seasons or under. (Although my favorite show i think was taken off too soon after 4 seasons, the line seems to fit at 2 seasons, there's rumors of them bringing back my favorite show though for a 5th seasons. i hope they do...)

Anyway I'll start off with 1:

Wonderfalls- Takes place and is filmed on location in niagra falls. (though a lot is flimed on the canadian side) It's an hour long comedy about a girl named Jaye Tyler(Caroline Dhavernas) "Overeducated and Unemployable" is basicly how she was labled in the highschool yearbook. She got a Philosiphy degree from Brown, and works as a clerk in a gift shop. Suddenly After a kind of semi near death experiance, Inanimate objects (with Animal Faces) start talking to her. The first of which is a wax lion(seen here: http://www.12gauge.com/images/2004/wonderfalls.jpg) , who tells her not to give change back to a woman. The woman takes her change, while Jaye is staring in disbelief at the lion. The woman's purse gets stolen immidiatly after she leaves. Jaye faints not too soon afterwards...Very well written show. Anyway, more animals (a brass monkey statuette, and a stuffed toy bear to name a couple) start talking to her and telling her to do things, which is very hard for her to deal with. Think of it as a "Joan of Arcadia" only Joan has WASP type parents, lives in a trailer park, Is 24, And instead of god coming in diffrent forms, its a bunch of animal shaped objects, and you never find out who's really speaking though them or what its all truly leading up to. They only made 13 episodes before being canciled, and Fox only aired 4.  >:( i do have them all on DVD though. (If you want to check it out, the dvd's are still on sale in most places.) Great show, Great reviews.
Cast Shot: http://www.wvah.com/programs/wonderfalls/cast.jpg
Cause of death: Bad Timeslot
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 08:22:16 pm by sgore »

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
Re: Canceled too soon!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 06:01:44 pm »
VR-5
a woman is able to enter people's minds through the internet.  she works on behalf of a mysterious "Comittee", using her abilities to do investigations, serving their shadowy agenda.  an incredibly deep show i wasn't able to understand at the age of ten.
reason for cancellation: OMG CONSPIRACY!!!  apparently someone didn't want the masses knowing too much, or maybe they just didn't care.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 07:46:58 pm »
Carnivale - two seasons and it was cancelled. Not sure why but it was good. It was on HBO

Offline Gaming Steve

• Master Chief
  • Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Steve
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 08:17:20 pm »
Carnivale - two seasons and it was canceled. Not sure why but it was good. It was on HBO

The first season was okay, and the second season was really good, except for the ending. But it moved way way way too slow. Hence it was cancelled.

There are probably like 50 shows I can list here, but I think I will go with Masquerade from 1983. That was great show that was killed way too quickly. Here is the summary as I'm sure that nobody else watched it (hence why it was canceled):

Masquerade was a stylish international action series from producer Glen A. Larson. Rod Taylor starred as Lavender, a veteran spy who was weary of seeing his comrades die at the hands of the enemy. The problem, he concluded, was that by the time a spy was recruited, trained, and ready to go into the field, the enemy had identified and targeted them for assassination. Lavender's idea was to begin recruiting everday Americans with special skills to become temporary spies who could participate in one mission then return quietly to their normal lives. Once assembled, they would travel together as a group of tourists visiting a foreign country -- sight-seeing by day and collaborating on their mission by night. When the mission was completed, they would each receive pay equivalent to a year's salary (no taxes) and go their separate ways. While Lavender oversaw the missions, his assistants Danny and Casey kept careful tabs on the recruits, offering advice and encouragement when needed.

Each episode began with Lavender, gun in hand, turning to the TV audience and saying: "The United States of America would like to invite you...to come spy with me."
Check out Gaming Steve on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/thegamingsteve

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 08:33:30 pm »
Family Guy, but I guess that worked out alright.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 11:23:18 pm »
Firefly: Yeah we got the movie serenity but only one season of a fantastic show. Holds his dvd box set of the series tightly and sobs.

Futurama was too many season to be listed here but I will mention it anyway.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 11:41:55 pm »
Invader Zim. WHY OH WHY NICKELODEON?!?! WHY DID YOU CANCEL IT?!?

One of the best animated shows ever. I have all 3 seasons.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 06:35:06 am »

One of the best animated shows ever. I have all 3 seasons.
you mean 3 dvds. it only had 2 seasons.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 06:49:41 am »
Farscape too ... I know it was more than two seasons but I enjoyed it anyway.

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 07:53:12 am »
Dead like me...died waaay too soon  :'(

Offline Vivec

• Gauntlet Wizard
  • The truth has vanished into darkness...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 02:26:18 pm »

Dammit! You took mine!
Vivec, you're the best forum member ever.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 10:23:48 pm »
Oh yeah Dark Angel only got 2 seasons  :'(

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 08:53:44 am »
I keep hoping that Invader Zim will pull a Family Guy and get pulled back on the air. Nobody didn't like that show, I don't know what the hell happened.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 12:43:32 pm »
I second Firefly - I only discovered it 2 months ago myself.  It was a combination of wretched timeslot and an off-putting concept (to me at least) - wild west with spaceships.  Yet it's FANTASTIC!

Crusader - Picks up where Babylon 5 (the greatest sci-fi show ever IMHO) left off.  Roughly half of the episodes of the one season that ran were amazingly poor, and the theme song is horrific, but towards the end of the first season, it really began to find its legs, I thought, and...well....it's from the Babylon 5 guys!!!  Of course, I didn't know of it's existence either until 2 years after it was cancelled, so go figure...  Now, the story of the B5 universe is unfinished :(

Offline IscariotJ

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2005, 02:14:46 pm »
Profit, though AFAIK, the UK got to see a couple more episodes than the US, before it was taken off the air.  Now if only it would get a R2 DVD release.

What else?  Space: Above & Beyond, anyone?  Could probably list a few more if I thought about it.