Author Topic: Terraria, a 2-d Minecraft-inspired RPG  (Read 43414 times)

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria, a 2-d Minecraft-inspired RPG
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 11:07:34 am »
NINJA'd!  ;D

Spoiler alert!  That's the 23rd video, so he's pretty far in to the game.  

A few things from the video...since the game trailer was posted last week, Redigit went and fixed all the bugs in their known bug list and added a LOT more content.  That's fast.  Blue said that they want to release the game to the public as a final not as a beta, but are really close to doing that.  They will update the game often though.  I think that the only thing standing in the way of releasing it is the backend stuff of getting the accounts set up to start selling the game.  If they sell it at $10 a pop, which is probably what they will end up selling it for, they'll make a pretty penny.  Good for them.  Hurry up on getting it released though!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 12:57:34 pm by Lippy »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2011, 12:09:04 pm »
So there's this other couple of guys with the alpha now, Yogscast. They do LPs too I guess.
Figured I can watch these since they're pretty newbie-level, not very spoilery.

Just had a good laugh with the second one. These guys are just so bizarre, like caricatures.

I thought the first one was hilarious. Those guys are great.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 08:14:48 pm »
http://terrariaonline.com/threads/death-penalty-maximum-hearts.1164/

Pretty good death penalty suggestion on the fan forum. I could go for that, at least for now.
Haven't heard many other decent ideas apart from dropping all/some items, dropping all/some money, and.. I don't know. I swear I heard something about weapons and armor taking damage. Pff.
But yeah, that's other crap. That one I posted though, that's good. What do you guys think?
Any of your own ideas?
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 05:43:44 am »
I like that idea a lot.  You don't magically lose money when you die.  They can easily say, "We dragged you out and brought you back to life, but you're still not 100%.  You'll need to go to the nurse to continue your rehabilitation."  As if they needed a reason to tell the player how they got back to the spawn point.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 12:40:22 pm »
I'm hearing that there was some kind of massive update that buggered everybody's characters and now they all have to start over.
Something Awful Terraria thread. Dominic White and Blue post in there somewhere, maybe others but I haven't seen them.

Here's the quote from Blue.

Sorry about that Dominic. YOur game shouldnt have been able to connect to the update server. Not sure what happened there.

But yes. We changed the way characters are saved, and added some heavy encryption, so the character wipe had to happen, otehrwise the files would not be recognized by the new game version.
Some of your worlds may still work if you saved them somewhere. Some of our testers said they could still load them to grab things from chests.

Ill share a tidbit of the most recent versions changelog with SAF exclusively. :]
-------------
*Monster spawn rate around friendly NPC has been reduce
*Smashing 3 Shadow Orbs will now summon an Eater of Worlds (as it was easy to skip the boss before.)
*Smashing a Shadow Orb now only has a 50% chance to spawn a meteor

*Epic trees now grow to a max of 30 tiles, instead of 50
*Acorns drop chance is reduced to 50%
*There is now a red X that shows items on cool down.

*Greatly optimized server speed when connections are maxed out.

also @Cephalocidal
We want to add background vistas, but its on a low priority at this time.

EDIT: Nabbed this off the SA thread. Blue did some Q&A in the IRC.
Thanks to Creepy Goat.
Q:-- if you create a char will it be noticable linked to your account for other ppl ?
A:-that depends on our deployment engine, we arent sure how accounts will be handled at this time

Q:--Ehm, how good of a computer would you need to start a Massive world and have it run smoothly? That's IF there will be massive worlds.
A:-currently a large world takes around 650mb of memory to run a server a massive would prob require 1gb of memory or more.

Q:--Any chance we'll get even larger worlds? Cuz after watching PBat's "Large" world, it was quite small feeling
A:We are working on possibly implimenting a MASSIVE world

Q:--Did PBat quit? (or something like that)
A-He didnt quit, he is simply ending the Terraria series
I think he may do a Farwell Terraira episode

Q:--blue.... you should add a "hardmode" where the mobs are a bit harder.. and where u lose your items on death.. for the ppls who want a bigger challenge?
A:-if you want a challenge, go to a hard area with low gear its up to you to face what you will.

Q:--How many players will you attempt to support at the same time on a server?
A:-Servers will be able to set their own limits, to what they feel will be the servers capabilities
its all dependant on bandwidth and processor power

Q:--Does the game auto-update when there is a update to get?
A:-The game checks for an update when you load it, and if there is one, asks you if you want to update or not

Q:--Are there more bosses that we havent seen yet?
A:-We are working on adding a few more bosses before release. but theres no guarante, if not, we will add them in content updates

Q:--Will there be weather in the full game?
A:-Eventually yes. weather will be implemented. we even want to have seasons

EDIT: God, this post is becoming big.
Oh well. Read all of it, jerkwads.

Here's a good one from Blue's twitter.
Quote from: Blue's Twitter, like I said
Tidbit : Recently Added to the game! A way to move your spawn point! And we've chosen the default death penalty! Just wait and see!!!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 12:24:47 pm by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2011, 11:06:05 am »
Huge Q&A by Tiy, who I believe is that extra graphics dude they hired on to help out.
Too big to post here. I'll let you take a gander.
I'm still reading it myself but I'll edit my post with interesting bits if there are any.

http://terrariaonline.com/threads/tiys-q-a-session-18-37-gmt-1-6may-irc.1930/
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2011, 03:09:10 pm »
Question: <Amiculi>: Given the complex nature of the digital distribution market and they many options available, are you guys currently hedging your bets with one potential distribution network or are you approaching numerous and looking for the best deal?

Answer: Tiy: I can't talk too much about this for obvious reasons, but at the moment we've been approached by a distributor that would in all likelyhood be our first choice if we were able to pick and choose. It's not only the deal that's important, but the way the distributor treats their customers

I wonder if it's Stardock.  Heck, even GoG might want to get in on this action.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2011, 03:16:08 pm »
Given Steam's friendliness to indie games, it's not out of the question either.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 03:33:49 pm »
Question: <omnomnom>: can different pvp teams have there own npc´s? (like a merchant for every team)

Answer: Tiy: That's not in at the moment, but we want to make PVP a serious part of the game, with the new spawn point changes you can play some amazing PVP games. One we like to play is to construct 2 castles, Divide the teams into Red/Blue, drop a rare item in a chest in each castle, and play some CTF

Question: <Magaries>: Will there be more spells available? If so, will there be any healing spells of some sorts?

Answer: Tiy: There is no spell system in the game, there are however spellbooks, that allow you to cast spells when used, as well as items that decrease Mana when used

Question: BrokenDecoy> My question is about bows in the game. From the LPs it appeared that they were no match for the shurikens early on and towards the end game they seemed weak compared to the guns and magical items. Will they end up being balanced in some way or another? Thanks in advanced =]

Answer: There are a huge number of bows available, and youre right that so far they've been a bit weak compared to other items, but that will be solved in the rebalance we're doing now
you can also get a whole bunch of different ammo for them :)

found these ones kinda interesting
and as for the distribution thing, definitely sounds like steam

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2011, 05:36:33 pm »
Quote from: Blue's twitter
Hey Guys!!!. . . .'Terraria, Coming to your Windows PC, June, 2011'.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 06:08:09 pm »
I didn't mention Steam only because I remember reading somewhere that it's NOT Steam.  It would have been my first guess otherwise. 

Offline Mr. Wizard

• Karate Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 06:32:45 pm »
Yes, the Indie community has decided that "STEAM = BAD" because Steam has standards.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2011, 10:36:02 am »
Blue posted a little on the fan forum. Got a little news here.

But I can say, Redigit did a LOT of balancing in the game, and all the new character sprites are finally in the game. A credit to Tiy, the armors look really cool. And each is unique, for example, the iron armor isnt simply a recolored version of what copper armor looked like anymore, it has a different shape and feel to it.

We are planning on making a new trailer to showcase the game at its current stage, since the old trailer (While epic) shows off too much of the old gameplay and sprites that are no longer in the game.
No ETA on the new trailer, but keep an eye out.

And various suggestions by players and testers have been added. Exciting.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 04:57:48 pm »
Quote from: Blue's twitter
Terraria, soon to be Steam Powered.

EDIT:
Big-ass Q&A here.
http://terrariaonline.com/threads/5-9-11-q-a-session.2416/
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:03:15 pm by Gauphastus »
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 04:59:30 pm »
Well hopefully I can get my hands on a Window Boot Disc soon.

As well as a working external disc drive.
My built-in one broke. I want a new computer.