Author Topic: Terraria, a 2-d Minecraft-inspired RPG  (Read 24142 times)

Offline Gorman Conall

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
Re: Terraria, a 2-d Minecraft-inspired RPG
« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2011, 09:25:57 pm »
Got it, like it, needs improvement though so I hope it keeps getting content.

Offline RiseWhirled

• Dragon Warrior Slime
  • yep
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2011, 09:38:44 pm »
They said something to the extent that they're going to be adding content updates every week for like the next six months or so.

So yeah, not much problem with that.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2011, 09:54:35 pm »
I should have phrased that differently, I'm aware that it gets updated often..it in fact was updated today.

But I hope it receives the things it NEEDS in the updates, looking back a few pages I see someone posted what the devs plan to add, enemy factions, weather and disasters and such. If they actually do that it would be fantastic and really push this game from great to amazing.

In my opinion I think some of the creatures should be able to break stuff, hiding in my house at night and watching the creatures try futility to get in is boring, letting them be able to damage your stuff could also give added depth to the block types (stone is stronger then wood etc)

Offline Doctor Z

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2011, 12:00:41 am »
I'd prefer a specific type of mining unit, like a goblin sapper, or an explosive slime, or a zombie with a bomb strapped to it's chest. A unit that goes in and takes out a large chunk, that you have to aim for, rather than every unit being able to mine their way in.
If you don't have definitions, then keekle urmph lurd autqus.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2011, 03:24:05 am »
or a zombie with a bomb strapped to its chest.

A bombie?

Offline Didero

• Arm Wrestling Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2011, 03:54:42 am »
In my opinion I think some of the creatures should be able to break stuff, hiding in my house at night and watching the creatures try futility to get in is boring, letting them be able to damage your stuff could also give added depth to the block types (stone is stronger then wood etc)
There is the occasional Blood Moon, where more enemies spawn and zombies will open doors.
There's also the more rare Goblin Invasion, which has teleporting goblins, so those will get inside your house. Though I got my first one when I was already well equipped, so it wasn't very hard. It did net me some sweet rocket boots though :D

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2011, 03:56:52 am »
Yeah I think monsters that can actually destroy blocks are a bad idea. Nobody wants to spend ages gathering gold bricks or whatever to make a super sweet mansion and then have some exploding slime destroy it while your back is turned.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2011, 09:38:07 am »
The creepers from Minecraft are one of the most hated mob in any gaming universe because they blow up your stuff.  I think just getting in and killing your NPCs is good enough. 

Offline Kratok

• 1942 Veteran
  • I saved on my car insurance using Geico
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2011, 10:19:35 am »
Doesn't everyone already hate the worm mob? You kind of need the ability to be predictably safe or it's just going to be a problem, and you might just end up constantly watching over your house so it doesn't get messed up. It's not like having a safe house is a game breaker, you kind of still have to go outside.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2011, 10:24:00 am »
The creepers from Minecraft are one of the most hated mob in any gaming universe because they blow up your stuff.  I think just getting in and killing your NPCs is good enough. 

Not really, as they just respawn with little to no penalty. And you might say the creepers are the most hated, but 90% of the story's I hear about minecraft have creeper in them somewhere. Also building in Terraria takes no where near as much time and effort as in minecraft due to its 2d nature.

Its just my opinion anyway, it just seems silly that within 5 minutes of playing you have a complete safe haven from everything with your little log cabin, no real point in building stuff out of anything but wood or dirt since those resources are easily found and there's no gameplay difference between having a wood or gold house.

Sure there's an aesthetic difference, but I don't really think this games focus is building creations like in minecraft, so who really would want to spend all that time mining gold for a house?

Offline Krakow Sam

• The Nameless One
  • Halloween sux.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 15, 2011, 10:54:31 am »
Us Gorman.

Me, Kratok, Gauph, Magenti and Rysworld (might have been some others too, I don't really remember. Spent a goodly amount of time gathering gold and building a solid gold house. So nyer.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Didero

• Arm Wrestling Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 15, 2011, 11:17:48 am »
Its just my opinion anyway, it just seems silly that within 5 minutes of playing you have a complete safe haven from everything with your little log cabin, no real point in building stuff out of anything but wood or dirt since those resources are easily found and there's no gameplay difference between having a wood or gold house.
This paragraph could apply to Minecraft too. And yet people build complicated mansions.

Sure there's an aesthetic difference, but I don't really think this games focus is building creations like in minecraft, so who really would want to spend all that time mining gold for a house?
The game's focus is the gamer's focus. If you want to build, you can build the most outrageous house you can think of. If you just want to explore, a little mud hut will do.

Both Terraria and Minecraft aren't games that stimulate just doing the bare minimum to get by. Both games encourage or at least make it it possible to build extensive dwellings.

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 15, 2011, 11:27:33 am »
I'm not sure.
I mean, the idea of having to actually plan my buildings to take into account their destructability, and design them to better hold off certain monsters is actually kind of appealing. Yet on the other hand, such an update would wreck all kinds of awesome buildings and safe-havens people made prior to the patch. It could work if there was a minecraft-like difficulty toggle option, that let you set such a thing on a server-by-server basis, but I can still feel it being a disaster if not done properly. A demon eye bouncing along the outside of your house, dislodging wooden blocks because they are too weak. A worm that breaks your backing walls as it moves. It make-a-me scared!

Offline Gorman Conall

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 15, 2011, 12:02:07 pm »
Us Gorman.

Me, Kratok, Gauph, Magenti and Rysworld (might have been some others too, I don't really remember. Spent a goodly amount of time gathering gold and building a solid gold house. So nyer.

Fine let me remove my foot from my mouth real quick.

Okay that's better...foot does not taste very good.

Naturally I think it should be an option you pick when creating the world, then you get the best of both. I kind of see a small menu of options (like in civilization) at the creation of the world to be quite a good idea. That way you customize the options in your world to what you feel like playing.

This paragraph could apply to Minecraft too. And yet people build complicated mansions.

The game's focus is the gamer's focus. If you want to build, you can build the most outrageous house you can think of. If you just want to explore, a little mud hut will do.

Both Terraria and Minecraft aren't games that stimulate just doing the bare minimum to get by. Both games encourage or at least make it it possible to build extensive dwellings.

Minecraft is 3D, you can literally build whatever you can think of, construction in a 2D environment is much more limited. Also to the second bit I'm not so sure. Even from the developers themselves it really looks like the game is more tailored to being an adventuring sandbox rather then a creative building outlet. Maybe I'm wrong, but even when it comes to content inside the game itself it really seems that the building features come second to adventuring.

EDIT: I have a feeling if I get Serenity to play with me shes gonna bug me to go cave diving with her to find gold for a golden mansion..
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:05:43 pm by Gorman Conall »

Offline Kaizer

• Arkanoid Vaus
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 15, 2011, 02:26:26 pm »
stop comparing it to minecraft

they are very different games and yet people think because you place blocks they are the same game with the same genre