Author Topic: How do your guys get around?  (Read 2745 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
How do your guys get around?
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:24:37 am »
Transportation, basically.

From pedestrian to global to interstellar travel, how do your guys get around?

While you can include military logistics, this thread would focus on how civilians [or your races' equivalent thereof] usually travel to and from points A and B.

So, how does it feel to travel if you're an [insert race here]?

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
Re: How do your guys get around?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:49:16 am »
Larentili used to travel mostly through vast train networks throughout their massive industrial cities. amongst the cluttered, blocky and massive structures, a system of pipelines was made to quickly move and climb between towers and such.
        the Iavolg still use these to an extent. Hnangha also use cables to climb up and down from It and the planet they happen to be decomposing. the impact from one of these hitting a planet leaves a significant crater.

the graid? they can gallop at around 25 mph. not that they are usually in a hurry.
then they have their airships. no ground vehicles really. Earthsky just has too much elevation, sand, and mountains for them to be usefull.
oh, and they get into orbit by launching out of a giant planetary cannon. in a tiny, uncontrolled pod. yea.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 02:58:58 am »
oh, and they get into orbit by launching out of a giant planetary cannon. in a tiny, uncontrolled pod. yea.

I hereby nominate the Graidient as best creature ever.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:07:21 am »
While in Kabalu, your average Pentekonterus walks short-distance and takes the nearest Levitating Overland Locomotive for long-distance trips, on the central plains, carts pulled by teams of Ukuril are more commonly seen. In times of conflict, they double as chariots.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:46:48 pm »
Below is a brief rundown of the Orealyianis Monarchy's transportation network.

On Tanariadne, Shudariadne and Anakinostine I, II and IX, people usually travel on public systems such as moving sidewalks, hover platforms [that double as outdoor elevators] and hovercars [which look more like giant train carriages, actually].

On the single artificial sea of Shudariadne, people travel via ferries, as well as underwater tunnels [from scenic routes of leisurely pace to high-speed high-capacity networks that carry billions of folks a day].

Inside Tanariadne's Royal Palace, things get a bit more unconventional. Due to its nature as a technological relic of a more advanced civilization, people really haven't gotten a clear picture of its internal structure yet, let alone all of its inner workings. Suffice to say, the structure pretty much contains whatever transportation methods the Terran-Ixians employed in the starship where the structure was originally taken from. As such, travel within the structure can get pretty tedious, if not outright lethal, if you don't know what you're doing.

People usually enter via the two main gates on each side of the structure. From there, people park their rides inside one the many vehicle bays before continuing on foot. Traveling from here on end requires compliance with the management's rules and regulations, which basically boils down to "follow the safe zones indicated on the maps and don't stray into uncharted and restricted areas". Not complying with said rules could get you arrested, lost or even killed by untested machinery like faulty hyperlinks [teleporters, basically], unstable hover platforms or hypersensitive security systems.

As a side note, the hyperlink system of the Royal Palace is actually integrated to the galaxy's many warp systems, meaning the PSR's personal teleportation network is perfectly capable of servicing people to and from the Royal Palace.

On a more local sphere, the system is also connected to the GPA and SPA's own internal systems. And with the docking of the Knights of Vengeance, it's not unlikely that they may also be integrated into the system in one way or another.

While most of the network can be used by practically anyone, the system really shines when officials use it to perform snap meetings during times of emergency.

On a somewhat related note, current research into the nanomachines which make up the planets' pseudo-atmospheres has allowed scientists to create distinct variations to the currently rather bland artificial weather system. While currently only capable of being used to create rain, snow or fog in small, controlled environments [read: inside rooms and vehicles], it still opens the way for future use in public travel, potentially allowing future people to fly to their destinations, in a very literal sense.

For a far more relaxed pace, there's always Bisiriadne. Being a cultural and historical preserve, super high density areas are completely nonexistent, ergo the massive transportation networks that come with them as well. In their place are traditional dirt paths and the occasional cobblestone road. Vehicular travel is restricted to private vehicles, small-scale hovercars and ferries.

As far as extra-planetary travel goes, people usually utilize the many spaceports that service each of the planets. While most ships are of the docking variety, some of the larger interplanetary liners use shuttles instead due to their sheer size not allowing them to land on the planet itself.

Space elevators also serve the planets, though the one which makes most use of them are Bisiriadne and Anakinostine II due to its open seas and purpose as a purely industrial moon-sized supply station, respectively.

Regardless of how they on or off the ground, space vessels in Orealyianis territory follow the same system of space lanes as is standard in the galaxy.

As for the extra-system colonies of the Orealyianis, most of which are simply small military outposts stationed in sparsely terraformed [think Tier I] rocky moons or asteroids.

Soldiers usually get around via walking or small-scale troop transports.

Offline SimplyNecro

• Scramble Skipper
  • Blood for the Blood God...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:02:59 pm »
The Skrall have a variety of ways to transport soldiers and supplies throughout their empire. Most of the time however, billions (or trillions, I have no sense of scale  :-[) of slaves and soldiers remain on travelling war fleets that travel the stars seeking out new worlds to conquer. Most transportation is done in rather conventional fashions utilizing organic space elevators (think capillary towers) freighters, and some small scale teleportation technology. (In other words nothing to special about how they get around)

Then... we get to the portals

The portals are hidden and advanced teleporation devices who's locations are ritualistically kept secret. Try to get a Skrall to tell you, I dare you. These "portals" lead directly to the Inner Sanctum, home of the mysterious Combine Overlords. The black beating heart of the Core Combine.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 08:04:37 pm by SimplyNecro »
Quote from: The Evil Overlords Handbook
30. All bumbling conjurers, clumsy squires, no-talent bards, and cowardly thieves in the land will be preemptively put to death. My foes will surely give up and abandon their quest if they have no source of comic relief.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 09:47:05 pm »

billions. trillions should be reserved for the populations of planets, (and the purebred instant spam just add blood)
plus, production limits of the factories. just not economical.

For a far more relaxed pace, there's always Bisiriadne. Being a cultural and historical preserve,... In their place are traditional dirt paths and the occasional cobblestone road.

perfect.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 11:50:17 pm »
It's quite the tranquil place.

Really brings you back to those pre-space years.

I really wouldn't blame most people who chose to retire there.   :)

Try to get a Skrall to tell you, I dare you.

I'd rather not.

Really isn't worth running and hiding from the horde of assassins that will promptly come for me for the rest of my dramatically shortened life.   ;)

As for the population thing, it depends. For vaguely human-scale creatures, billions would work fine for a regular planet while trillions would usually be reserved for city-planets.

For a race of Torpal snacks mice-like creatures like the Omic, trillions for a moderately populated planet isn't that far fetched.

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 12:11:02 am »
or if sustainability isn't an issue, like if, for example, your just interested in blocking out the sun, covering the planet in a gelatenous layer of skin, and dissolving it into a nutritious juice. then you can make Quadrillions and it won't matter cause you just dont worry about feeding them.

oh, and I forgot to mention. the Graid dont use FTL travel in general. uneccesary. whats a few centuries of travel to the next habital star-system? why, its just enough time to construct a quality lyrical composition!

..there is quite a contrast in the content of the first paragraph compared to the second.
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 12:20:43 am »
or if sustainability isn't an issue, like if, for example, your just interested in blocking out the sun, covering the planet in a gelatenous layer of skin, and dissolving it into a nutritious juice. then you can make Quadrillions and it won't matter cause you just dont worry about feeding them.

Mmm... Juice...

oh, and I forgot to mention. the Graid dont use FTL travel in general. uneccesary. whats a few centuries of travel to the next habital star-system? why, its just enough time to construct a quality lyrical composition!

Indeed!   ;D

The Graid's perception of time really reminds me of the Culture Minds.   :)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 06:22:59 pm »
Outside of the military, most Photos use either mag-lev hovercars or more straight-forward wheeled bikes or other vehicles to get from point A to point B. For long distance or interplanetary travel, civilian models of the military shuttle are used.
Within the military, Shuttles are usually used from planet to planet or from ship to surface. On rare, and I mean rare, occasions, the Photos ships themselves are able to enter atmosphere, though it's not commonly done as even finding a landing spot alone can be a pain in the rump. In combat situations, Photos ships are able to use those little infamous drop pods to put soldiers right in the thick of it with pin-point accuracy. The drop pods are recovered after the battle, provided the area is secure enough for retrieval. Also, though only really used in urban combat zones, the Photos have an APC vehicle that can transport a squad of 5 rather quickly from place to place.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 07:45:30 pm »
I ride a pony

Offline Lookatroopa

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Fan-Ball Wiki
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 09:21:49 am »
Oiyj mount several beasts, depending from which group they are. Except for the Oitu, which use mechanical stuff that looks like spiders.

Also, they walk.