Author Topic: The Phitire  (Read 3914 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
The Phitire
« on: April 02, 2011, 06:17:37 pm »
THE PHITIRE [Fuh-tyre]: OVERVIEW.
For anyone (mainly Guests) not up-to-date on Photos events, the Phitire are the ancestors of the Photos race, having created the Photos to stand in their place protecting Origin. Much of Photos culture and language comes from the Phitire, secretly programmed into their DNA on such a level it's almost impossible to discover.
While at their height, the Phitire had a glorious empire. Today, however, they are nomadic, inhabiting a moderate fleet of ships a short distance from Origin's edge. The majority of their populace resides in a gigantic spacecraft known as the Preserver. The Preserver manufactures and supplies the rest of the Phitire fleet.

PHITIRE HISTORY PART 1: THE GOLDEN YEARS[/u]
The Phitire were one of the first races to become sentient in Origin. They expanded rapidly, without any true contact with another sentient race. Their cities prospered; colossal structures clawed their way several hundred feet into the air, and poverty was quite literally nonexistant. In Phitire Year 2357, almost two hundred years after they colonized their first world, they made contact. One of their exploratory fleets came upon a colony of a race called the Oohomi [ooh-huME]. The two races were both peaceful and had similar perspective; they rapidly became allies. From the Oohomi they learned that there were quite a number of races in the galaxy. Everything was peaceful and quiet. The many races traded and communicated with eachother unthreatened. Weapons and militaries as a whole were primitive. This state went on for about another 100 years or so.
Well, for the sentence before last, that's not completely true.
One empire had spent almost it's entire existence developing weapons. It's dream was to bring the entire galaxy under it's flag. This race was the Shadow.
...And soon, their goal would almost be met.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Phitire
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 08:09:25 pm »
This is back when the Phitire were more like the Federation, eh?

Let's see what kind of asshatery would manage to push them to develop a dangerous level of tech-savvyness.   8)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 10:38:45 am »
EDIT: CRAP MENT TO HIT PREVIEW NOT POST RAAAGH!
PHITIRE HISTORY PART 2: THE INVASION OF THE SHADOW
Abruptly, in 2406, hundreds of planets across the galaxy came under attack from an unidentified group later learned to be the Shadow. Their technologies were fearsome: the first colonies fell in less than half an hour. All of the races, individually, were powerless to stop them. As the Shadow spread as a wave, many races perished. The Phitire and many of the surviving races banded together to at least slow down the Shadow until a different course of action could be plotted. At that point, the Phitire and their allies were forced to do something nobody had even considered doing until the invasion; developing weapons of mass destruction. They worked with great speed. While weapons like nuclear warheads came rather quickly, they were rather ineffective against the Shadow vessels.
Then the Phitire discovered antimatter weaponry.
Suddenly, Phitire fleets were capable of going head-to-head with Shadow fleets, at least as far as damage potential goes. Eventually, through they possessed improved weapons, the Phirire began to loose the war again, as the Shadow improved their technology. However, the Phitire scientists had a theoretical way to stop the Shadow, though it was a rather outrageous weapon that would have left the Phitire and their allies in an "all or nothing" position: the device would take so much time and resources, if it failed, they would pretty much be screwed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, you can all pretty much guess what that device is, as it's been mentioned repeatedly in several different RP's.
@omegatripod
When it says take over the galaxy, does that not typically mean WITHOUT the previous owners inhabiting it :P
If it dosen't, then...yeah, they were killing off the people and taking the planet. That's what was meant by "take over" the galaxy.
Not only that, when you consider that the empires at this time (at least in my little chunk of fiction here, doesn't necessarily apply to anybody else's race from this time period) were militaristically undeveloped, that makes it a whole heck of a lot more plausible (most empires "weaponry" consisted of laser weaponry designed for destroying asteroids and other debris).
And really, the Phitire sent the Shadow to a seperate UNIVERSE that was pretty empty as far as other races went. That's even worse.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:26:06 pm by GroxGlitch »

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 10:40:40 am »
How did the Shadow go unnoticed for so long? I mean, to take over the whole galaxy, they would need so many troops, it would fill all the planets in the galaxy! And what about rebellion? It's impossible to rule an entire galaxy that hates you for more than two weeks, tops! A blitzkreig doesn't work on a galactic scale! They could never defeat the enire rest of the galaxy! It doesn't make any sense!
Unless...
Unless the Shadow have a larger plan, and briefly crippling the militaries of the galaxy is only a part of their cosmic-sized Xanatos Gambit. Perhaps they're merely establishing a reputation to be feared before they regroup and rearm themselves in another, younger galaxy with no opposition to be had. Then it would be galaxy versus galaxy, a war on the scale of the Yuuzhan Vong War! And that's terrible.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:49:59 am »
From part 1, I think it could be gathered that ar least most people at the time were pretty much just peaceful merchants that really weren't geared for anything larger than a few pirate fleets.

I guess they wouldn't really fare well against a genocidal steamrolling by a war-centered empire.

hundreds of planets across the planet

wat

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 08:46:43 pm »
THE PRESERVER

The preserver is an utterly titanic vessel that houses the Phitire's non-military civilization. Constructed for their self-imposed exile, the Preserver is an utterly titanic vessel. Dispite not being a combat ship, the Preserver is quite capable of defending itself. On top of the utter thousands of antimatter cannons across it's disk-like hull, it has a hidden weapon. The glowing orb in the center is the reactor: a star that acts as a natural reactor for the ship, kept alive by being fed hydrogen. The containment field can be manipulated to fire a beam of plasma directly from the star-reactor at an enemy vessel; this huge amount of plasma is able to cause mass amounts of damage in a very short period. As you can see, with that star (which is about the size of our sun) in the center, the ship is titanic.
Propulsion in conventional means would be impractical for a ship this scale, and to solve this issue, the Preserver uses a weak inertia-less drive similar to the ones used by the Shadow in their heyday.
The ship, when originally built, was armed with Antimatter cannons, but has been retrofitted with the more recent and powerful "temporal cannons" used to disintegrate ships.
Between it's shields and armor, the ship itself is nearly impenetrable from the outside, even for a race as powerful as, say, the Nameless. And even from the inside, the ship's very scale itself limits damage from any practical bomb. Not only that, given it's reactor is a STAR, it's gonna be kinda hard to overload it.
[EDIT]: XD titani-spam!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:50:55 pm by GroxGlitch »

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:01:17 pm »
Whatever happened to that big ol' Splitter Cannon the Phitire built?
Well, they locked it inside a pocket dimension! In order to keep the weapon from falling into the wrong hands, the Phitire locked it away in a pocket dimension that only they can get open again. In this way, the great weapon is always on call if it's needed, but is safe from those who would use it for...uh..."nefarious purposes"?

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 08:28:14 am »
Or is it?  :I

DUN DUN DUN

Nah, yeah, it probably is...  ^ ^

I think.

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »
Pocket Universe :I
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 03:13:08 am »
Maybe it's a stray or artificially-constructed flatland (lineland ?) with the device converted into a string of data?

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 11:20:52 pm »
I'll bet anyone with a wormhole device(i.e. hyperdrive) could find it.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 08:00:05 am »
Depends on if they have some equivalent to those nifty trapdoors that the Culture have.