Author Topic: A Tale of Civilizations II - Year 2 Season 4  (Read 10323 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations II - Year 1 Season 2
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:42:29 pm »
Amorusk - Season of the Sun (Turn 2)

Anesh sat at the center of his house with his son Sukla next to him. For some time they had been discussing the events of their people, specifically the progress of attaining the fire. There had been several occasions where they had managed to get fire, but nothing to the point where they could make it themselves. And even the fire they were able to get, they never managed to keep it running for long. It was progress, but there was still some work to be done. However, Anesh was happy with the results, which put most of the townspeople (including Sukla) at ease.

"You've done an excellent job so far, my son," Anesh said, flashing a smile at Sukla. This was a very rare occurrence for Sukla, and slightly caught him off guard. However, he was a true Amorcian and managed to keep his emotions hidden. Instead, he dipped his head low towards his father.

"Thank you very much, father. I try my best to follow your lead." In Amorcian culture, parents were the epitome of power, no matter their stature in society. Had Anesh's father or mother still been alive, he would have been obliged to obey any order they gave. It was almost a form of unwritten law. However, the older an Amorcian got, the less likely they were to order their children around. Around the time that their children started having children of their own, the parents would refrain from constantly making demands. Puberty and marriage were both special points in a person's life as they signified a turning point, but when a someone had a child of their own, that's when they were truly considered to be an adult.

In some cases, outsiders noted that this system seemed lacking. If parents are the highest form of law in the land, what causes people to follow the chieftain? To an Amorcian, this was just a dumb question. Everyone knew that the parents themselves were subjugated to the will of the chieftain, and so were their children. In this way, the chieftain ruled over his people and held a strong grip over his people. That was just the way of the Amorcian people.

"Yes, there was much progress made on the question of fire within the last season," Anesh said, motioning for Sukla to return back to normal. "But there is something else that I was thinking about," Sukla perked up his ears at this. It was a very rare occurrence for his father to involve him in matters of the tribe, but it had become more and more common as of late. And it wasn't that Sukla minded, in fact he enjoyed having his say in matters of the tribe. It was probably because he had casually hinted to his father that he and Resha were attempting to have a baby. And even though it hadn't happened yet (at least, Sukla didn't think so), the very idea that Anesh might have a grandchild soon was obviously affecting his perception of his firstborn son.

"And what were you thinking of father?" Sukla asked, going along and saying what his father expected him to say.

"Our tribe is growing. There are more people now than every before, at least for as long as I can remember. And sometimes in our history we have come across other tribes and there has been warfare. Those times were always bloody, but the Amorcian people have always triumphed. But now I wonder. Since we have settled down we need protection now more than ever. We do not have movement to rely on getting us away from stronger enemies. This place has become our home and we need to protect it as such. Tell me, would you let someone come into your house uninvited?" Anesh asked his son, already knowing the answer.

"No, father."

"Indeed. And it is because of this that I believe we need people to focus on this problem. I want you to carry out this action."

"Father?" Sukla asked, understanding the basic idea, but still unsure of the specifics.

"I want you to pick and train 19 other men to be permanent warriors. These men should be the strongest and most loyal men of the tribe. I want them to be able to fight with any weapon that we can make. I want them to be expert spearmen, deadly with an axe, and the best marksmen within Amorusk. And I want you to lead them," Anesh said, looking at Sukla. "But more importantly, I want you and these men to keep order within Amorusk. I don't know if you have noticed, but things have been getting out of hand as of late. We need you and these men to keep order within the tribe. Without you, the tribe will fall apart into petty squabbles that could escalate into all out blood feuds." Anesh paused for a moment thinking back on his brother before coming back to the present. "We need order Sukla."

"Yes father," Sukla said. He had noticed his father's pause, but didn't mention anything about it. There were some things that you didn't bring up, no matter what. "I will do the best that I can."

"Excellent..." Anesh said as he trailed off into deeper thought. Sukla waited several moments before quietly leaving his father with his thoughts.

Kala sat with Kelem in one of the back rooms of the house. The men had needed the large room for their conference, so the women had let them have the room, preferring to talk between themselves anyway. When there were only women around, Amorcian females tended to be more open with each other than when men were present.

"So, Kelem," Kala said, looking over at her daughter, "have you been looking at the suitors within the town?" Kala was smiling as she asked it. Kelem blushed a bit, but managed to hide most of it. She wasn't in full control of her expressions yet, since she was only 17.

"Yes, a bit," she said as she turned her attention to cleaning some of the bowls that were in the room. Kala paused for a moment, before asking another question.

"Anyone in particular?"

"No."

"Well, what are you looking for in a man?" Kala asked, trying to get at least something from her daughter. Kelem paused as she tried to get rid of a particularly stubborn stain on a bowl.

"I don't know," she said after some time. "I guess I just want a man who's strong, but caring. Isn't that all any girl could want?" Kala smiled at her daughter.

"That would be a very good man, but he is probably harder to find than you would think."

"Plus the fact that father must decide for me..." Kelem said, showing a small bit of reluctance about that.

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about that," Kala said. "I think I may be able to influence his decision in some way..."

Overview
Food Production: 120 WP
Research [Firemaking]: 25 WP
Maintenance: 11 WP
Healthcare: 15 WP
Expansion: 60 WP

-Sukla and Resha continue to try to have a baby
-Anesh chooses a suitor for his daughter Kala. The suitor is meant to be strong and caring.
-A group of 19 warriors (plus Sukla, totaling 20 people) is created to specialize in warfare and policing the people
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:42:53 pm by Josasa »

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »
Reigia- Season 2, Year 1

Overview
Food Production: 87 WP
Research [Animal Lore 2]: 70 WP
Research [Herb Lore 1]: 20 WP
Health Care: 10 WP

-Wrin tries for a baby with both of her mates.
-Hett looks for a first mate for Witt
-Grin plays around with the hens and, under Krith's supervision, collects brighter coloured fruit to use as paint on stones and tree trunks.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 09:28:24 pm by Badger Man 22 »
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 03:47:56 am »
A Bananas am not good at role playing at all so A Bananas tried to do more of a documentary overview of the Solutrian people and their culture. A Bananas also attempted to do a picture of their appearance but it kind of sucked and A Bananas gave up on it.

Solutria - Year 1, Season 2

Appearance
Solutrians are an interesting race. They tend to have black hair (which turns gray when they get old) and tan skin but have blue or green eyes. Their features most resemble people of southeast Asia or the Philippines. Males have difficulty growing facial hair and only can produce goatees or spare beards. Both men and women will grow their hair long, however some men will shave their heads with primitive stone blades. Their clothing is very primitive and is more or less just woven grass skirts. They do not wear shoes yet and have very tough feet since walk barefoot. Women will sometimes put flowers or feathers in their hair to for fun and to look pretty. Both men and women will sometimes paint themselves with ash or other natural pigments. This self expression can be spiritual in nature as well as functional to show who that are and/or what they do.

Culture
Solutrian are a polite and respectful people. Their philosophy is to leave things better than they found it. They take great pride in their work and are very generous. They are very in tune with nature and look to it for guidance and inspiration. They try not to waste anything they take from nature and if they do have extra they will try to give it back. For instance if they cannot use all the parts of a fish they will throw it back into the sea and hope it will come back as to them again when they need it.

Diet
Souutrians are heavily dependent upon the sea for their food. While they do occasional gather from the land their main food is seafood. They wade in the surf and tidepools looking for shellfish, crustaceans and other invertebrates that are easy to catch. They will also eat seaweed and other marine flora. While they will sometimes eat food raw they mostly cook their food on sticks held over the fire. Since there is no major rivers nearby and they cannot drink from the sea they drink for small brooks and streams. These small brooks and streams are their only source of water and thus are kept as clean as they can. All waste is either buried away from the drinking water because no one wants to drink water where someone pooped.

Exploration
Beyorg has recently sent out a few scouts in canoes to the North to search for food and other natural resources. They are instructed to stay by the coastline in case of storms and to actively scavenge for food along the way. They are to return at the end of the season to report what they have found.

Organization
Solutrian society is based around a persons natural skills and interests. As children they are shown how to do a variety of skills and end up doing whatever skills they are naturally best at. Unlike most tribes members can end up doing a job completely different than their parents. This includes the “royal” family. There is no guarantee that Zia or Guyan will become the next leaders of the tribe. Beyorg is only a leader for as long as the public thinks he is worthy of this position. Thus Solutrian leaders do their best to make the people happy and loyal to him. While there are always those in opposition the majority of the population will protect and defend their leader.

Origin Myth
The Solutrians believe that the world was once all water and a great sea turtle came to the surface and made the first land. The turtle is so big and slow that it takes it all day to swim around the world and that's why the sun goes down at night. They also believe that earthquakes are caused by the turtles swimming and most of the time he swims smoothly but other times he hits currents and shakes everything on his back. To honor the sea turtle they will not eat them, however every year when the sea turtles come to the beach they will take from the bounty of eggs that they lay. If there is a good bounty of eggs then they know that the great sea turtle is happy and healthy.

Royal Family
The royal family did not start out royal. Beyorg was just another villager back when the village was small. His father was a warrior who helped protect the current tribal chief and his mother was a gatherer who helped gather mollusks and other invertebrates from the sea. Beyorg has 3 other siblings, 1 older brother, 1 younger brother and a younger sister. He never got a long with his older brother and they would constantly fight and bicker. One day they went out swimming in the ocean. They saw some sea lions and decides to go see them. However from below a shark came and bit Beyorg's foot. His brother tried to help him and began to drag him to shore. However the blood soon attracted other sharks and Beyorg's brother got eaten instead. Beyorg is now very remorseful that his brother died trying to save him and he is still sad that he always argued with him. He still has the scare of the bite marks on his foot and walks with a limp. This limp constantly reminds him of that day. This event has shaped him and lead to him becoming leader of the tribe, but that's another story.

Shelter
Solutrian shelters are very primitive and are more or less lean-to shelters made of sticks and bough. Their beds are basically made of dry grass and moss. When the weather gets really bad such as in the winter they will move more inland to the sheltered caves to keep warm and dry. However this is risky since the earth shakes often and they are cautious to stay too long in fear that a cave-in will fall on them.

Tools and Technology
The Solutians most important technological feat is the canoe using both fire and primitive stone tools they make simple dugout canoes. These take great skills and effort, thus they are prized by the tribe. The canoes themselves are made from fallen logs and are more or less hollowed out so 1 or 2 people can fit inside. If done wrong they can burn thorough the bottom and ruin the canoe. Thus it takes years for them to master the skill of canoe building.

---

Overview

WP (213/213)
10 - Culture
113 - Food Production
10 - Expansion
10 - Exploration
10 - Healthcare
10 - Maintenance
50 -  Research [Animal Lore 2]

- Zia and Attan try for a baby.
- Guyan and Nita try for a baby.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:36:16 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 12:31:35 pm »
A small camp of labourers and community intellectuals was now established at the edge of the woodlands not far east of the cave homes. Alam had been sent with his wife to bless the work of people there, who were seeking to better understand the will of forest goddess, and how to exploit the resources she offered. Alam had been watching a man demonstrate how inadequate the tools they had were for the task by helplessly smashing the sharp edge of a rock into a tree trunk in a vain attempt to cut through,

"You're just not trying hard enough boy,"

Alam scalded the worker before grabbing the rock from him and smashing it as hard as he could into the tree, it put up more resistance than he thought and he quickly dropped the stone as it dug into and cut his palm and parts of the sharpened edge crumbled away.

The worker spoke up;

"Meshka thinks if we could find a way to swing the rocks, then they would hit hard enough to break the flesh of the oaks, but we need time to design and make the tools sir, and we could do with some stronger rocks, or perhaps we could burn through the trunks of the tree"

"Ok then, I'll see what we can do to help, Cahtu wants this project advancing as fast as possible so keep working,"

With that Alam walked away looking slightly embarrassed, to accompany his pregnant wife back to their home.

"At first the demon jaws frightened the farmers lord, but we have seen the stone is hardy and beaufitful, these are no curse, they are gifts from the Earth Father"

Cahtu inspected the stone the humble worker had placed down before him, it was jet black and flecked with glittery blue where it had been polished, an edge had begun to be worked into it but had taken the best craftsmen in the tribe several days of continuous work to reach this point, and with just a few of the rocks they had extracted. The stone had been uncovered with the tilling of the soil around the river shore, when the farmers had uncovered it they found the stone formed in jagged circles all across the field. At first when the priests were called and shown the uncovered rock formations they had interpreted it as being a bad omen, indicating the coming wrath of the Earth Father, but weeks passed and nothing had happened so the priests were sent to look at it again, this time returning to tell the workers to begin extracting and working the stone.

Cahtu passed the stone back,

"This is great news indeed, tell the workers we want more of these rocks to be shaped, we will send the axes east to the forest camp. You are dismissed noble tribesman,"

The tribesman gave a quick bow and turned to leave the chieftans cave and return to work.

It was the eve of the summer solstice and Mehtu was overseeing the priests preparations for the ceremonies the next day,

"which flowers have you gathered to be burned as an offering to the sun mother my children"

She inquired in her serene and calming voice as a line of priests walked forward silently each leaving a sample of the flowers they had collected, there were many; ranging from blazing orange lilies to sky blue buttercups, Mehtu sighed,

"It seems almost a shame to burn such beautiful things, but the sun mother will be pleased with what we have gathered and hopefully grant our farmers with bountiful crops"

With her blessing the priests and their apprentices began laying the flowers across the pyre of sticks on the rocky outcrop that faced the postion of the morning sunrise and that would be lit to greet it.

WP Distribution:

120 : Food Production
75: Research (Wood Lore/Logging)
10: Health Care
15: Expansion
10: Maintenance
5: Tool Production

Spiritual Lore:

The Kestali have many gods and goddesses, referred to as mothers and fathers as they are believed to have conceived all of mankind at the dawn of time so that humans could inhabit their domain. each god or goddess controls a different aspect of nature, from the sea to the storms. There are no formal worship practices but instead they are thanked throughout peoples daily lives and at specific times of the year, for gifts that are perceived to be given by them. When the Kestali undertake any endeavour it is preceded by  requests for the respective god's blessing and the priests seek to understand the world by interpreting the will of the gods.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 11:17:31 am by munchkin5 »

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 06:19:58 am »
"Summer brings bounty, and the harshness of the sun. It is part of life, accept it."

"The sun is not your enemy, not at all. It is a friend to all things. And even if it isn't always there, it will come back soon."

"Do not eat the spiny fruit, for it will turn your stomach sour and cause you to purge out your soul."

WP Distribution:
Food - 118 WP
Culture - 110 WP

- Ngauair is punished for acting out, he must spend next season out in the forest fending for himself
- Miapuuf begins courting the ladies in their tribe
- Aangfux again insists upon a defense force, and Uekhuek agrees to allow seven men to act as a patrol around the boundaries of their hunting and foraging grounds.
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
Re: A Tale of Civilizations II - Year 1 Season 3
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 09:10:40 am »
As the Leaves Blush

The light and warmth of the summer is gone,
And many men and women mourn as they see the pride of nature wither.
Though there are regions where nature never dies nor sleep,
no, here nature merely breathe out briefly;
allowing the humans of these lands to do the same.
Elsewhere though the winds from the south are temperamental and inexorable,
preaching the coming of a cold winter.

Year 1, Season 3
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:19:13 am by Huckbuck »
@davidramnero

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 09:12:39 am »

- Amorusk -

Total WP 309

population: 628
After warriors are subtracted: 609
 - 25% age factor: 456
 - 12% due to discontent: 401
 - 11% due to unhealthiness: 357
 organisation factors: -48
 other factors: -

Royal family

Anesh Shamir 

Position: Chieftain
  Traits: Strict, Inconsiderate, Persuasive, Respected, Short

Kala Shamir 

Position: Wife of Anesh
  Traits: Compassionate, Aestheticly inclined, Stoic

Sukla Shamir 

Position: Warchief, Son of Anesh
  Traits: Strict, Obnoxious, Focused, Impopular, Imposing, Rumored impotent

Resha Shamir 

Position: Wife of Sukla
  Traits: Selfish, Composed, Beautiful

Kelem Shamir 

Position: Daughter of Anesh
  Traits: Cunning, Dependant, Absent minded, Spindly

Bakvi Shamir 

Position: Husband of Kelem
  Traits: Strong, Conformist, Compassionate, Energic, Desire power

Nidok Shamir 

Position: Son of Anesh
  Traits: Focused, Agressive, Curious

Statistics

Population: 628
  Stationed warriors: 19
  Special structures: -
  Content: 88%
  Health: 89%
  Hunger: 7%
  Order: Good
  Tax system: none
  Resources produced: Meat, Planks, Fish, Tools, Weapons, Bows
  Resources imported:
  Resources exported:

Technology

Researched TP: 2 ( 10 )

WP invested: 25
Divided by WP-TP rate: 2 (12)
Parent technology bonuses: -

Wood Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Firemaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Animal Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Herb Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Fibremaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Fishing 1 2 3 4 5 (0/15)

Bowmaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/20)

Logging 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Weapon and Tool Making 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Plankmaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/35)

Wood Structures 1 2 3 4 5 (0/40)

Events

Discovered firemaking! +temporary content

@davidramnero

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 09:13:39 am »

- Iefhuat -

Total WP 265

population: 609
After warriors are subtracted: 603
 - 25% age factor: 452
 - 4% due to discontent: 434
 - 26% due to unhealthiness: 284
 organisation factors: -56

Royal family

Uekhuek

Position: Chieftess
  Traits: Cunning, Miserly, Brave, Obese, Mixed popularity

Aangfux 

Position: Husband of Uekhuek
  Traits: Dumb, Narrow minded, Strong as a horse, Inconsiderate, Charming, Fit

Miapuuf 

Position: Son of Uekhuek
  Traits: Whimp, Loyal, Open minded, Compassionate

Ethu 

Position: Lover of Miapuuf
  Traits: Arrogant, Pompous, Very loyal, Wise for her age, Fit

Afap 

Position: Father of Aangfux
  Traits: Curious, Xenophilic, Wise, Frail

Ekeh 

Position: Father of Uekhuek
  Traits: Disloyal, Absent minded, Senile, Cunning, Unpopular

Statistics

Population: 609
  Warriors stationed: 7
  Content: 96%
  Health: 74%
  Hunger: 4%
  Order: Very good
  Resources produced: Pottery, Fish, Rafts
  Resources imported:
  Resources exported:

Technology

Researched TP: 4 ( 4 )

WP invested: -
Divided by WP-TP rate: - (12)

Soil Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Pottery 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Fishing 1 2 3 4 5 (0/15)

Weaving 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Fibermaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Raftmaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/15)

Hide Structures 1 2 3 4 5 (0/15)

Branch Structures 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Clay Structures 1 2 3 4 5 (4/25)

Events

Ngauair was banished into the forest and haven't been seen since.

@davidramnero

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 09:14:32 am »

- Kestara Olek -

Total WP 252

population: 582
After warriors are subtracted: 582
 - 25% age factor: 436
 - 20% due to discontent: 349
 - 17% due to unhealthiness: 289
 organisation factors: -37

Royal family

Cahtu 

Traits: Rational, Conservative, Stubborn, Loyal, Small, Varying popularity

Mehtu 

Position: Wife of Cahtu
  Traits: Dependant, Religous, Wise, Manic depressive

Eshia (Pregnant)

Position: Daugther of Cahtu
  Traits: Inconsiderate, Narcissist, Impulsive, Stoic

Alam 

Position: Husband of Eshia
  Traits: Inconsiderate, Rational, Brave, Clumsy, Short, Fit

Makram 

Position: Son of Cathu
  Traits: Loyal, Compassionate, Nervous, Obese, Short,

Alenia 

Position: Wife of Makram
  Traits: Dependant, Rational, Curious, Charming, Wimp

Tok 

Position: Son of Cahtu
  Traits: -

Statistics

Population: 582
  Content: 80%
  Health: 83%
  Hunger: 5%
  Resources produced: Pottery, Crops, Fish, Rafts, Tools^, Weapons
  Resources imported:
  Resources exported:

Technology

Researched TP: 6 (10)

WP invested: 75
Divided by WP-TP rate: 6 (11)

Stone Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (0/15)

Weapon & Toolmaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Soil Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Agriculture 1 2 3 4 5 (0/50)

Domestication 1 2 3 4 5 (0/80)

Events

You discovered wood lore!

@davidramnero

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 09:15:31 am »

- Reigia -

Total WP 190

population: 540
After warriors are subtracted: 540
 - 25% age factor: 405
 - 25% due to discontent: 303
 - 26% due to unhealthiness: 224
 organisation factors: -34

Royal family

Wrin (Pregnant)

Position: Chieftess
  Traits: Good leader, Arrogant, Religous, Spindly, Short, Popular

F'Lipo 

Position: 1st Mate of Wrin
  Traits: Strong as a horse, Dependant, Inconsiderate

Opek 

Position: 2nd Mate of Wrin
  Traits: Nervous, Narrow minded, Xenophobic, Obese, Imposing

Grin 

Position: Son of F'Lipo and Wrin
  Traits: Energic, Absent minded, Charming, Quick

Witt 

Position: Daughter of Opek and Wrin
  Traits: Fit, Eccentric, Rational

Ranh 

Position: 1st Mate of Witt
  Traits: Energic, Cunning, Disloyal, Selfish,

Hett 

Position: Mother of Wrin
  Traits: Conservative, Xenophobic, Sickly, Outspoken

Krith 

Position: Father of Wrin
  Traits: Aestheticly inclined, Dependant, Insecure, Religous

Statistics

Population: 540
  Content: 75%
  Health: 74%
  Hunger: 15%
  Order: Quite Good
  Resources produced: Tame animals, Logs, Tools, Weapons, Canoes
  Resources imported:
  Resources exported:

Technology

Researched TP: 5+8 ( 19 )

WP invested (Animal Lore): 70
Divided by WP-TP rate: 5 (WP-TP: 12)
Parent technology bonuses: 0

WP invested (Herb lore): 20
Divided by WP-TP rate: 1 (WP-TP 12)
Parent technology bonuses: 0
+7 due to events

Herb Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (8/10)

Animal Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (5/10)

Domestication 1 2 3 4 5 (6/80)

Logging 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Weapon and Tool Making 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Stone Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (0/15)

Canoemaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/35)

Events

An accident led to a huge step forward in understanding herbs! + 7 TP

@davidramnero

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 09:16:19 am »

- Solutrea -

Total WP 246

population: 562
After warriors are subtracted: 562
 - 25% age factor: 421
 - 22% due to discontent: 328
 - 12% due to unhealthiness: 289
 organisation factors: -43

Royal family

Beorg 

Traits: Honorable, Progressive, Wasteful, Stubborn, Tall, Moderately popular

Tanana 

Position: Wife of Beorg
  Traits: Compassionate, Multitasker, Focused, Unnerving, Frail

Zia 

Position: Daughter of Beorg
  Traits: Cunning, Faithless, Conformist, Aestheticly Inclined, Tall

Attan 

Position: Husband of Zia
  Traits: Strong as a horse, Energic, Narrow minded, Ignorant

Guyan 

Position: Son of Beorg
  Traits: Frail, Odd one out, Sissy, Dependant

Nita (Pregnant)

Position: Wife of Guyan
  Traits: Narrow minded, Manic depressive, Absent minded, Outspoken, Childish, Fit

Statistics

Population: 562
  Content: 78%
  Health: 88%
  Hunger: 5%
  Resources produced: Weapons, Tools, Canoes, Logs, Fish
  Resources imported:
  Resources exported:

Technology

Researched TP: 4 ( 4 )

WP invested: 50
Divided by WP-TP rate: 4 (12)

Weapon & Toolmaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Branch Structures 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Canoemaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/35)

Firemaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Logging 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Fibremaking 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Weaving 1 2 3 4 5 (0/25)

Fishing 1 2 3 4 5 (0/15)

Bone Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (0/10)

Animal Lore 1 2 3 4 5 (4/10)

Events

Met with the Vabat!

Consequenses and information gathered:

3 scouts were killed after approaching a small fishing village

Rich cultural activity with dancing and singing as well as animal sacrifices

Sporadic villages over a relatively small area

One male leader refered to as Hugin

Language has few similarities to the Solutrean language

Apperantly a violent and protective people

@davidramnero

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 11:08:03 am »
Amorusk- Season of the Leaves (Turn 3)

Sukla stood in front of the twenty-nine men selected before him. Originally his father had only wanted nineteen, but after Sukla had shown their effectiveness at maintaining order, more had been given over to him. Each one of the men held their own personal bow, along with a spear of their choice. These men were the cream of the Amorusk crop. They had shown their strength and loyalty on multiple occasions and that was the reason they were here. That was the reason why Sukla had chosen them.

“I know that each of you is a good shot with the bow and arrow, probably the best in the tribe. But we’ll have to be better than that. We’ll have to be the best in the tribe. That is why I have called you here today. I’m sure you’ve all noticed the targets,” Sukla said, motioning towards the forest edge where a variety of humanoid stands were setup. “Before the day is through, each man will have to be able to hit their target three times, in a row.” The men looked at each other, somewhat surprised. They had been expecting something a bit more challenging. Sure, they were a bit of a distance away from their targets, but that wasn’t impossible. It might take a little bit of time, but no more than an hour.

“From that hill,” Sukla finished, pointing towards a hill that was a couple hundred yards further back. This caught the men’s attention. From atop the hill they were looking at a distance that was well beyond the reach of even an expert bowman. Sukla smiled to the group of men.

“What, you thought this would be easy?” he asked them. “Anyway, there are some other guidelines that must be obeyed. I have collected everyone’s quivers because each man will only be allowed three arrows at a time. When each man has shot the three arrows, they must run down to their target and retrieve them.” Sukla looked over the men, checking for any signs of weakness. None appeared. These had been the right men to choose. “Each man goes until he hits the target three times in a row. He will not be allowed to stop until that time. And remember, I’m in this right alongside you. Even though I’m your leader, I must go through the same tasks that you must go through.” Sukla looked over the men one last time before taking off at a sprint towards the hill. “Let’s get this done!”

“Must not want to get home,” one of the men mumbled under his breath to the laughter of everyone else.

Nidok marveled at the fire before him. It had taken some time, almost two whole seasons, before the tribe had unlocked the secrets to making fire. Now almost everyone had been taught how to create fire, including Nidok. There had been a fair number of accidents, but most of these had been handled without too much trouble. Several people throughout the tribe had a number of burns on their bodies, but that was the worst of it.
And it was the perfect timing. The Season of the Leaves had arrived, and with it a growing wind that brought a chill to the lands of the Amorcian’s. But with the power of fire, people were given new hope in a normally bleak time of the year. Now they would be able to ward off the worst of the freeze with fire, and continue to function within their homes like normal people.

Nidok poked the fire with a stick, moving some of the logs around within the fire. Ever since he had seen the first blaze created, he had been entranced, wondering how it worked. At the same time, he wondered what else could be done with it. He knew that it could burn through things, both living and dead. Rocks would not burn (normally), but they would heat up. You had to be careful around those heated rocks. The first time Nidok had tried burning a rock, he had ended up with scalded fingers after trying to pick it up out of the fire.

Nidok also knew that water put out fires. That had been the most interesting thing. And the scariest thing… that was something completely different. Nidok had snuck off into the forest to escape prying eyes.  While alone he had made a small fire pit, lining these with rocks from the river. Since the rocks didn’t burn, they made a nice wall to keep the fire contained. He had spent several hours messing around with the fire, trying to learn more about it. He had poked and prodded it, testing out which things burned and which things didn’t. In the end he had grown bored with the whole experiment and had collected water in some of the bowls he had brought along with him. This is when the greatest discovery had happened. While throwing water onto the fire, some of it managed to splash onto the rocks themselves, which he knew had been hot from the fire. Great columns of steam came rising from these rocks, scaring the life out of Nidok and sending him running off. They had looked like spirits, and the hiss they emitted startled him even more. If it hadn’t been for his great curiosity, it was unlikely that he would have returned to the fire pit, but venture back he did.

He repeated this action several times, slowly overcoming his fear of the hissing spirits from the rocks. They were obviously nice spirits, thanking him for freeing them from the rocks, or else he most surely would have been killed long ago.

But this is what haunted Nidok. He knew that something could be done with this discovery. Maybe this could even be used to help his people through the winter. Nidok continued to poke the fire with his stick.

Kelem sat across from her new husband in their new home. It was a beautiful little house, one that was neither too big, nor too small. They had gotten it because of Anesh, and it had been given to them as a gift from her father after their marriage ceremony. The celebration had been small (nothing like the party that had been held after Sukla’s marriage), but it had been perfect nonetheless.

To be honest, Kelem couldn’t have been happier. Bakvi was the perfect man for her. She was strong, just like she had wanted, as well as compassionate. And besides that he was quite energetic, which was definitely a plus.

“Would you like something more to eat, husband?” Kelem asked, offering up another bowl of fish.

“No, but thank you for the offer,” Bakvi said waving it away. Kelem blushed at the slight breach of etiquette. There had really been no reason for him to thank her. It was just her duty as a wife to offer her husband more food. In fact, it would have been horrible manners if she hadn’t done it.

“So,” Bakvi said, setting aside his bowl and smiling at Kelem, “what is it that the leader’s family does around here? I am part of that now, aren’t I?” he asked. Kelem smiled at him, remembering the marriage ceremony. Her father actually loved Bakvi, which was probably the reason that he had chosen Bakvi in the first place. Her father liked him so much, that he had even allowed Bakvi to take the Shamir name. This wasn’t very common at all, but given Anesh’s leadership status and the fact that Kelem was his daughter, the tribe had accepted it as normal. It was nice to have a father that liked his son-in-law. Her brother Sukla, on the other hand, wasn’t a big fan of her new husband. They were too similar, which could have been a good thing if Sukla hadn’t been such an obnoxious fool. He was constantly claiming that Bakvi was only in the marriage for power. Sukla only saw him as a potential threat rather than an ally.

"Well," Kelem said, "my father may have some work for you, depending on what you want to do. I'm not sure what it would be, though. You can really do whatever you like..." Kelem trailed off as she looked over at her husband.

"Well, what about this?" Bakvi picked up Kelem and walked off to their bedroom, laughter coming from them both.

Anesh sat with his entire family, including the new addition Bakvi, around the main room of his house. They had all had a small meal, prepared by Kala, and were now sitting around the small fire that had been made in the floor. A small hole had been cut in the roof to allow the smoke to escape. Everyone was waiting expectantly for Anesh to speak.

"Thank you everyone, for being here and sharing this meal with me. But the real reason I called you all together is something that you might have already guessed. The Season of the Deep Freeze is coming, and we must be prepared to meet its challenge. All of the villagers must be reminded of this. There is no doubt that they already know of its coming, but they must be warned to prepare nonetheless. Being able to make fires will help a great deal, and the discovery of that will go a long way to helping us survive. But there is something else that worries me. The fish are like us. They prefer warmth. When the winter comes, their numbers dwindle, and life becomes hard for us. Because of this, we must find another source of food." Anesh paused for a moment, as if trying to think of the answer then and there. When he came back, he motioned towards Sukla and Bakvi, "That is why I want you two to figure out a way to bring more food to the village. We have lived off of fish and various plants for some time, but now I think that the great beasts of the forest can be of use to us. Seeing as you, Sukla, have already begun training men in the art of war, you should be able to work something out." Sukla nodded, although inside he was more than a little annoyed. He didn't want anything to do with Bakvi, but now his father was forcing them to work side by side. "And you, Bakvi. Now that you are part of the family, you will become one of the warriors among Sukla's group." This caught Sukla's attention and lifted his mood a bit. "You will be second in command."

"You honor me too much," Bakvi said, lowering his head.

"Nonsense!" Anesh said with a laugh, "You are more than a worthy candidate. If you are good enough to marry my daughter, you are good enough to be among the warriors. But I want you to specialize on surviving in the forests. Learn its ways. Our people have always stayed close to the coast, but we must learn how to survive anywhere if we wish to survive at all." Everyone sat in silence for a moment as those words sunk in.

"That is all I have for you now." Everyone stood up to leave the room, everyone except Nidok and Anesh who waited for everyone to leave. Anesh looked at his youngest son, raising his eyebrow a bit.

"You have something you wish to discuss, son?" Anesh asked, wondering what Nidok had been up to.

"Yes, father. It involves something that I discovered the other day," Nidok said, excitement running through his voice.

"Well, what is it?" Anesh asked, humoring the boy more than anything. Nidok loved to explore and loved to talk about what he had found. More often than not, it was something dealing with bugs or some other minor details. But as Anesh listened, Nidok went into great detail about the fires and the spirits within the rocks.

Maybe the boy has stumbled across something greater? Anesh asked himself.

Overview
Food Production: 150 WP
Research [Hunting]: 125 WP
Maintenance: 12 WP
Healthcare: 12 WP
Preparation for Winter: 10 WP

-Sukla and Resha continue to try and have a baby
-Kelem and Bakvi try to have a baby
-10 more warriors are recruited and added to the military

Architecture
The architecture of Amorcian homes is not very special, especially their earlier designs. The earliest homes were small mounds dug into the earth, as it provided natural protection from the cold climate the Amorcian people lived in. They learned of this by copying several species of animals that lived within the area.

As time passed, the Amorcian people became more skilled at constructing homes. The discovery of logging subsequently led to the use of wood that was larger than branches picked up off of fallen trees. They had not fully come to terms with using entire trunks to construct houses, though. That would come later. For the time being, the Amorcians used strong pieces of lumber to create the walls and roofs of their homes. Large holes would still be dug for the flooring and lower half of the homes, to provide the natural insulation, but the Amorcian homes slowly began to rise up from the ground thanks to advancing technology.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 03:42:07 pm by Josasa »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 08:41:14 pm »
Solutria - Year 1, Season 3

Vabat
The Solutrians had never encountered another tribe for as long as the tribe can remember. This first contact with a new and completely different culture was a bit of a shock to the Solutrians. While there were some frighting amongst themselves they had never encountered such a violent culture. This caused fear and confusion within the population. Beorg during this time kept clam and level headed. He reassured the people that it must be a misunderstanding.

Beorg: Like a startled animal, they must have attacked out of defense and fear. We must show them that there is nothing to fear from us and show we are friends, not enemies.

Diplomacy
Beorg organized a diplomatic mission back to Vabat people. To show that the  Solutrians were friends and not enemies they would send food, gifts and even a canoe as an offering of peace. The party was ordered to to their best to gain the trust of the Vabat people. In fact if offered they would appointed an ambassador stay with them and requested one from the Vabat people to come back and be a guest in the  Solutrian lands. However if things went bad they were still ordered to leave the gifts for them and retreat with haste.

Exploration
If the Vabat people were found in the north then what kind of people would they find in the South? Beorg send another scouting part to explore the South in the same manner as they did the northern expedition. As before they would fish as they went along the coast in their canoes and would return by the end of the season.

Funeral
A funeral was held to commemorate the 3 scouts who were killed by the Vabat. Their funerals are done on the beach at sunset. Normally when someone dies their body is put in a canoe, covered in sticks, grass and decorations and then set on fire. Once set on fire its pushed out to sea. However in this case since they died in battle they only were able to bring back some of the bodies and thus an empty canoe was sent out anyways. There was much morning and somber singing until the canoes sink into the sea.

Beorg's Past
Beorg recalls this father's death at the funeral. As said before his father was a warrior who protected the chieftain of the village. When Beorg was in this 20s and had just got married to this wife Tanana his father was killed by a man who wanted to kill the chieftain at the time. The disgruntled man was blocked from attacking the current chieftain by Beorg's father. As they fought on the ground the man took a sharp stone dagger and sliced his father's belly open. The rest of the guards took the man down and he was killed soon after but his father was too badly wounded to recover and bled to death there. Beorg was angry, sad and proud all at the same time about his father's death. The chieftain at the time held a great funeral for his father and his family were awarded extra food that season for his father's bravery. Beorg knew at that moment that it was only a matter of time until another disgruntled citizen who would come to try to kill the chieftain, so he begin to campaign as the new leader of the village. One who would hear the voices of the people and would not drive people to kill their leader. However the path to his rise to power is another story.

Nita's Baby
Nita began to be nauseous by the end of the season. She though she was sick but Tanana knew better. She could tell as a mother of two that Nita was pregnant. This was a happy day for the Klov family, for this would be Beorg and Tanana's first grandchild. While there would still be a few seasons before the child would arrive they prepared for baby. Nita was taught what to do by Tanana, while Beorg prepared Guyan on how to be a father and what responsibilities that brought with it. For with so much death in the village it was good to know new life was coming. Meanwhile Zia was a bit jealous of her little brother and vowed to get pregnant by the end of the season.

Life and Death Myth
The Solutrian people believe that a persons spirit originates from the sea and goes back into the sea when they die. This is why they build funeral canoes and send them out to sea. As the night falls upon the sea, the spirits are able to go deep down into the bottom of the sea where "spirit world" is. Spirits can return to life in new bodies, however they cannot get back on their own, other seas creatures like fish and  marine invertebrates transporter the spirits. Thus when they eat seafood they believe that they gain some of spirit and wisdom of the ancestors. Sometimes there is so much spirit in a woman that they are able to have a child. Men on the other hand cannot become pregnant, however they believe that they can give excess spirits from their bodies to females by having sexual intercourse.  Thus women who are trying to have a child are encourage to eat lots of sea food and sex with their husbands to make sure they gain enough spirits to make a new life.

Overview

WP (246/246)
10 - Culture
10 - Diplomacy (With Vabat)
126 - Food Production
10 - Expansion
10 - Exploration (South)
10 - Healthcare
10 - Maintenance
50 - Research [Animal Lore 2]

- Zia and Attan try for a baby.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 03:35:47 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 02:20:17 pm »
A lot had been learned from the forest over the last couple of seasons, some of the fruit harvesters had moved up here permanently and workers had skinned the bark from the trees and chopped their low hanging branches to use as fuel for the fires. Some special stones had been found filled with spiral patterns and they would make good bartering, at least for the workers willing to take the time to find and polish them. It was autumn now though and most people had given up their day jobs to bring in the harvests and butcher the meat to store over winter so the forest was quiet, only the elites and the priests had time for leisure.

Mehtu had made his way west, alone in the early morning. A cold mist swirled low among the trees and Mehtu crept slowly clutching the javelins to his chest. It was true that not many people still hunted, and it certainly wasn't going to provide enough food anymore, but Mehtu had been taught by his father to honour the old ways. The stag he'd been tracking for hours kept its head bowed in the clearing, chewing the grass and then occasionally glancing for predators, before ducking back down again. Mehtu was silent as he swept from tree to tree closer to his prey, it was a magnificent sight, strong and tall; not like the small and docile deer they kept back on the farms, and would make a fine trophy.

In a moment Mehtu dived into the clearing, the weight of his body put behind the throw, the stag darted - but too late, the power of the spear drove deep into its right thigh and caused the beast to collapse, writhing on the floor. Mehtu approached confidently grabbing the animals snout and drawing his knife across the neck to bleed it. He worked quickly to remove the head, his trophy, the skin, for a blanket, and all the meat he could feasibly carry back alone, the rest would be left to the wolves and crows.

Autumn had always been a time for people to celebrate and have fun before the winter months made going outside uncomfortable at best, and this winter looked to bring snow for the first time in years with cold southern winds boding badly.

The crude barley drink that Alam now sat with had been discovered only a few years ago, it was warming and clean, and had the surprising effect of making the men a lot happier and more talkative. Makram and a few captains of the working crews had joined Alam for a drink and a celebration, elsewhere Eshia was giving birth and Alam was, for once, sociable and happy.

"To my beautiful wife and the future of Kestara!"

He stood up and cheered; the others joined him in a toast and swallowed what remained of their drinks,

"So what will you name your child the sir?" One of the older labourers queried,

"I was thinking 'Aeta'*, in honour of the riches we have found in the eastern forests"

"A proud name brother, just promise me Alenia won’t end up mothering it for you" Makram joked,

"Well she is a good mother to our younger brother, Mak, I could only hope she'd have an influence on my child,"

A short statured priest approached the group to announce the news, "The child has arrived sir, a baby girl, as beautiful as the sunset - you should come to see her,"

He beckoned Alam through the door, and the rest of the men left to their beds, a new member of the family was always a joyous occasion, but in the harsh winter to come it would be a challenge.

(*Similar to the word meaning "Bounty" or "Plenty" in the Kestali language)

WP Distribution:

125 - Food Production
60 - Surplus food production (Winter Storage)
30 - Celebrations
20 - Healthcare
23 - Expansion

Eshia has a baby girl "Aeta"

History:

The Kestali had lived for generations as hunter gatherers up and down a few hundred miles of river bank and forest land, part of which being where they now live. A population boom in the last century or so caused a steep rise in the need for food and some form of social structure. Around the time of Mehtu's grandfather’s rule as high chieftain the tribe finally settled in the caves they use as homes, although most still hunted at that time. Back then somewhere near a hundred people could call themselves Kestali; they survived by hunting but could at that point grow their own cereals and vegetables. Although Mentu's father was very nostalgic for the old ways, he was the visionary who really developed the agriculture and domestication infrastructure that has let the people prosper.

The priesthood, now an important part of Kestali society, are largely linked with the royal family but grew up quite separately, the joining of the two entities happened well before living memory around the time of the settlement in the caves, when they had to find a home with those they had once traded with. However before that they were small groups of celibate druids who would trade food with the hunter gatherers in exchange for their spiritual services, they were the first to live in permanent homes.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:47:21 pm by munchkin5 »

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2011, 12:03:53 pm »
The Strain of Frost

Winter came one night,
as silent as death.
It spread its wings of snow over the temperate lands
and breathed mild wind into the warmer regions.
Where the frost is
sources of food diminish,
leaving beast and men hungry.
The spirit of the southern wind must be wicked,
the way she relentlessly spread her cold.

Year 1, Season 4

@davidramnero