Author Topic: Ontological Mystery  (Read 5774 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Out Run Speedster
  • *****
  • Posts: 5144
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 02:25:02 pm »
((Sorry about the wait. I was at a robotics competition over in Long Beach))

The wounds on your shoulders have stopped bleeding, but it's still a little painful to move your arms.

Unsure of what to do, you try to calmly think of your options:

On Level 3, there was mostly dormitories, but it also housed the main cafeteria and had medical facilities. It is also the level you are most familiar with in terms of layout, but seems to be at least sparsely populated with monsters.

Below you, Level 4 was very much the same as Level 3, but instead swapped out the cafeteria for a rec room. Level 5 had the secondary systems for computing, power, water, heating, cooling, and more. You weren't very familiar with where everything was, but you have both the knowledge and the access keys to restore power and reboot the secondary computer. Among other things, doing so would bring the intercom system back online, allowing you to effectively search for survivors.

Levels 6, 7, and 8 contained the primary systems, and again, you were able to restart them. However, while you're far more familiar with these levels, being your primary area of work, you have the feeling this all started with a problem in the primary systems, and diagnosing it would be difficult without the ability to read computer screens. Levels 7, 8, and 9 also contained labs and various workshops. Though you're not certain of anything at this point, you get the feeling that the fact that there seemed to be more monsters below you and the fact that the labs were below you were rather closely related.

Finally, Levels 10 and 11 were normally off limits, being the high security storage area. You didn't have the codes to even enter those levels, but the fact that every other door you'd found wasn't even able to latch closed, it was possible that the doors down there were also wide open.

Above you, Level 2 was mostly administration offices, but it did contain the main intercom hub, which would be useful if you managed to get the power back on, and there wasn't much noise coming from that direction besides the mechanical rumbling. Beyond that, on Level 1, was more of the same, plus a few meeting and demonstration rooms, along with some low-level storage. Most importantly, though, Level 1 was the only way out of the facility, being the ground floor.

All in all, it really came down to one choice: stay in the facility and try to save anyone else possibly trapped inside, or take the safe way out and make a break for the exit.

Inventory
(1) Pocket knife with (4) attachments: Knife, Scissors, Corkscrew, Screwdriver
(1) Cellphone
(1) Wallet with ( 8 ) cards and (20) bills of unknown value
(1) Keyring with (5) keys and (1) bottle opener
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 02:26:49 pm by Darth Grievi »

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Out Run Speedster
  • *****
  • Posts: 5144
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2011, 12:38:45 am »
((Screw it, I'm bumping this back to life. *Readies defibrulator*))

As you sit in the stairwell, considering your options, your cellphone suddenly begins to ring and vibrate. Badly startled, you quickly take it out and flip it open to answer it. You don't really care who is on the other end at this point. You're just happy for someone to talk to.

"Hello?" you ask.

"Oh my god. Harold? Is that you?" It's Louise, your maybe-might be-kind of girlfriend, and she sounds just slightly less freaked out than you are.

"Yeah, it's me. L--"

"Where are you?" she interrupted. "I've been trying to reach you for two days! The cops are just about ready to start a full missing persons operation!"

"Louise, just calm down a sec. I'm fine for the moment. I'm still at the office, but I don't know what's happened. Everyone's gone and the power's out. Have you heard anything?"

"I've heard some rumors that there was some sort of explosion, but no one has anything official yet. The feds have definitely been called in, though."

Processing this information, you try to think of what, if anything, to tell her while you still had her on the line.


Offline Guilmon

  • Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • *****
  • Posts: 1184
  • Level 40: I got TENTACLES!
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2011, 01:48:43 am »
Tell her to bring you a knitted cap.

With holes in it for dem bat ears.


Yet again, of no use here. : D
Awesomeness runs strong in the Greivi bloodline.

Offline Zarkatus

  • Boot Hill Bandit
  • *
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 08:52:06 am »
Ask her what the news was saying about it, and who was being sent in.

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Out Run Speedster
  • *****
  • Posts: 5144
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 04:33:45 pm »
"Do you know who precisely's been called in?" you ask.

"Well, I know the FBI and the National Guard are definitely there, and I've read online that the CDC's probably there too."

Not good, you think to yourself, before asking Louise, "What about the explosion, any specifics on that?"

"No, just that there was one. Current blame is on terrorists. Hold on," she says, pausing for a moment as she presumably looked something up. "They evacuated a bunch of people in the first few hours, but last anyone's heard they were having problems getting back in or something. You're the one who works there; you probably have a better idea of why the place has gone into lockdown."

"Yeah, I do, actually," you reply. After hearing this and judging from what you'd encountered, you figure that sealing off the facility was somehow the main computer's last ditch effort to keep the place quarantined when the power failed. As to why the power had failed in the first place, it was probably the fault of the explosion... which you don't remember. Where the monsters and your current state came into things was still a mystery.

"Then maybe you can help them get in and finish cleaning up this mess. You're still inside, right?"

"Right."

A single beep from your phone indicates that it's battery is almost drained.

"You've got to know something..."

"Yeah, yeah, I think I have an idea," you tell her hurriedly. "I'm sorry, but I've got to go. This thing's almost dead." Another beep. "Look, I'll give you a call when I get out. Just keep an eye on the news, OK?"

"OK. Good luck, Harold."

"Thanks. See you later, Louise."

With that, you hang up and turn off the phone to silence the beeping.

You did indeed have an idea of how to help things along. If you could somehow get the power running again, it would not only allow the feds to shut off the lockdown and get in, but also let you turn the intercom system back on to both contact them and help round up any other survivors.

The process involved at the very least going down to either level 5 or level 6, flipping some switches to turn on the power, and inputting a couple of codes to get what you wanted online. Any other day, this would have been an easy, if not exactly routine procedure, but without any sort of vision and with potentially hostile creatures running around? Plus the very large potential that it might require you to diagnose and repair the problem that caused the shutdown in the first place, again blind? You were tempted to just find a place to hunker down and let the people outside figure it out themselves...

Inventory
(1) Pocket knife with (4) attachments: Knife, Scissors, Corkscrew, Screwdriver
(1) Nearly Dead Cellphone
(1) Wallet with ( 8 ) cards and (20) bills of unknown value
(1) Keyring with (5) keys and (1) bottle opener

Offline Zarkatus

  • Boot Hill Bandit
  • *
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 04:55:49 pm »
Since you have bat like ears, see if you have sonar abilities too.

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Out Run Speedster
  • *****
  • Posts: 5144
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2011, 06:41:09 pm »
It occurs to you that, if you're going to be doing anything other than fumbling around blindly in the dark, you're going to need to find a way to tell where things are. Thinking back to your past examination of yourself, you wonder if those bat ears of yours are there for a reason. You're kind of fuzzy on how echolocation worked precisely, but knew it involved making a sound and listening as it bounced back to you.

With this in mind, you spend the next few minutes making just about every vocalization you could, listening to each individually and trying to figure out which one worked the best. You quickly discover that the answer was "none of them." Every pitch and tone you made was just as useless as the last, sending back a cascade of echoes that meant absolutely nothing to you. On the verge of giving up this useless venture, you make an exasperated sigh.

Or, at least, you try to make an exasperated sigh. What comes out is a single, crystal-clear, beautiful click. The forms of everything in front of you are highlighted as if you had suddenly turned on a powerful flashlight. You "see" the stairwell stretch out in front of you, end at a wall, then make a turn to continue down, where your "vision" ends. It wasn't quite seeing as much as it was having a little 3D model in your head. The image lingers for a few moments before fading into memory.

Astonished and thoroughly relieved, you try to replicate the sound. To your even greater relief, you find that you can keep a steady stream of useful volume going for nearly a minute, only needing to pause to take another breath. Despite yourself, you let out a whoop of triumph that echoes up and down the stairwell.

Offline Zarkatus

  • Boot Hill Bandit
  • *
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2011, 06:48:43 pm »
(Wow you are FAST)

Use your new-found sonar abilities to climb down the stairs.

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Out Run Speedster
  • *****
  • Posts: 5144
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 07:19:30 pm »
With your mood significantly lightened by your discovery, you walk down the stairs. Using your newly found ability, it's remarkably easy going, at least from a "not tumbling down the stairs from a misstep" standpoint. You quickly realize that you would have to be careful to remember which floor you were on, though, since you are still unable to read any of the signs.

In the interest of exploration, you continue your way down past levels 5 and 6. As you descend, the vocalizations of the monsters grow louder and more frequent. You sincerely hope that none of them can hear the clicks you're making. Your journey is stopped, however, about halfway down the steps leading to the door to level 8. Looking down the stairwell, your "vision" is unable to reach past a flat, horizontal plane, giving you only a dim, distorted "image." Upon further investigation, you discover that the stairwell is flooded, the flat plane being the surface of the water. Even more worrying is the fact that the water appears to be slowly rising, flowing under the door and into level 8. It would only be a matter of time before the entire facility is flooded.

With one problem solved and a new one presenting itself, you climb back up the stairs. Along the way, you try to decide which course of action to take: either try to fix what was wrong with the main power systems on level 6, or restart the secondary systems on level 5 for a temporary solution.

Offline Zarkatus

  • Boot Hill Bandit
  • *
  • Posts: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 10:34:37 am »
Figure out a way towards level 5.

Offline Darth Grievi

  • Out Run Speedster
  • *****
  • Posts: 5144
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
Re: Ontological Mystery
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 03:22:54 pm »
Though you're getting fairly tired with all this stair climbing, you finally make your way back up to level 5. You figure that even a temporary fix is better than spending possibly hours trying to diagnose and repair whatever had caused this in the first place.

Speaking of, the fact that the place was flooding gave you a few more clues as to the extent of the damage. Whoever had placed the explosives was either incredibly lucky or had a very good idea of where everything was. They'd managed to take out the power, the water, and probably the main computer, since it looks like the secondary systems never even turned on. Great.

You open the door to level 5 with no resistance, which is a bizarre feeling; normally you would have had to punch in your code on the door's keypad to get it to unlock. Fortunately for you, it seems that all the doors in the facility had had their latches all locked into the "open" position, allowing you to simply push or pull them without having to even turn the handle. Unfortunately, you realize, that means that whatever else is down here could do the same. Nervously, very aware of the musty, organic smell you'd come to associate with the monsters, you take out your pocketknife, just in case.

Navigating the hallways and corridors isn't a problem, though. It's actually knowing where to go that is. Unable to read any signage, you have to work by what little memory you have of the place... while avoiding potentially deadly monsters... while tired, hungry, dehydrated, and in a strange body. The folks upstairs had better appreciate the help. The only good news out of all of this is that you have a very clear memory of what the panel you need to find looks like.

Nearly a half-hour and untold amounts of frustration later, you take a brief rest inside one of the dozens of rooms peppered throughout the level. God, this place was infested! You could barely turn a corner without coming practically face-to-face with something.  From the glimpses you'd managed to catch of the creatures you'd narrowly missed running into, you seemed to be fairly lucky in the "stayed relatively humanoid" department. Yeah, there was the whole sonar thing, and the fact that your back was starting to kill you from standing up like this, but you seemed to have made it out of this catastrophe pretty much intact. As for the others...

You really didn't want to start thinking of them as ex-coworkers, even if that's what they probably were, because that meant that you killed pretty much your best friend about two hours ago. Granted, it could probably be seen as a mercy kill, but, again, you really didn't want to start thinking about that.

With a little sigh, you turn your thoughts back to finding and starting up the secondary generator, standing up and "looking" around the room. Just like when you'd entered, you didn't see much of interest, but after exploring the room further, something sparks your memory. Through a door off to the side, you finally enter the area you were looking for. The entire far wall is covered with the switches and keypads you'd need to turn on the power, and you know exactly what to do with them.

Unfortunately, you're not alone. Beyond the sweaty odor that immediately tipped you off, the entire room is a veritable minefield of long, web-like filaments, stretching from floor to ceiling. A tentative step forward reveals that the floor is wet with some sort of slime. You don't know if the thing that had set this trap was in the room, or even still alive, but most of the ceiling is blocked from your view both by the filaments and by your bad viewing angle standing outside the door.