Author Topic: Before my hopes and dreams are dashed...  (Read 6227 times)

Offline Bardic

• Breakout Battler
  • Who says steampunk goggles aren't bardic?
    • View Profile
Before my hopes and dreams are dashed...
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:59:56 pm »
Salutations! Good people of the forums of Gaming Steve, I have two questions of you.
1) Before I begin my theoretical project and potentially have my dreams and aspirations sliced, diced, and cut/cubed, I must ask:
Is there anyone on these forums who feels the slightest motivation to every again, possibly, try a *gasp* Sagan-4 inspired game?
I have one source, the good fellow who directed me here, that suggests it is so. I have come to see whether he is correct in this assumption. Rather than start up a game, only to (potentially) see it last no more than a few posts, and derisive ones at that, I have decided to ask you, good people, if there is a shred of hope. I am a great fan of speculative evolution, and have gazed in wonderment at the projects shown here in past, but, alas, I was not here to experience them. I yearn to start a game of my own, but am unsure of what the response will be. Please, enlighten me.

2) If, as is possible, there are none left who would be willing to participate in such a project, is there anywhere that it could be done? I am entirely open to suggestions here.

Anywho, long-winded first post, eh? I wonder... is this even the right forum for this topic? It was somewhat hard to determine which to post this message in. Well, here's hoping.

'Today is a glorious day for SCIENCE!'

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
Re: Before my hopes and dreams are dashed...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 04:31:40 am »

Hey and welcome to the forum

1)Not that I know of.
2)Yes,try searching Google.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:08:11 am »
I wouldn't mind doing something like that.
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline Bardic

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:37:50 am »
Hmmmm... considering someone actually implied interest, this is working better than I expected. In response to #2 of the first post, I have searched 'sagan-4 inspired game' and 'evolution  forum game' on google, and have obtained only what I already know of. There are the speculative evolution forums, of course, but those are not open to new RPs or games, I believe.

Offline Bardic

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 05:40:25 pm »
Please, forumgoers. Spare a post here, even if it is to decline. A lack of response is actually worse than a straight-up 'NO.'

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 11:47:32 am »
I understand. That's because a lack of response shows that people simply don't give a ****, right?

Well, that's precisely the reason why I haven't posted here. And I suspect a large portion of the forum doesn't, either. But someone might, so we don't wanna shoot you down.

The best thing you can do is give it a shot and see if anyone follows. If it's good enough, people might be interested. I won't be, though, because I'm busy with a lot of other stuff. But someone might be. You never know.

gec05

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 03:36:17 pm »
I think a topic like this could get more attention if moved to a more attractive board, wouldn't you say? We're not putting much use of the game "Spore" that much anyways, so I think we can put this in general RP.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:39:37 pm »
New member. Immediately refers to Sagan 4. Email address is gibberish.

You are on the watch list.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 04:42:06 pm by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 04:41:49 pm »
>______________>

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 04:53:20 pm »
O.O

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 06:23:36 pm »
Like the new pic, GD.

Offline lowlevelowl

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 09:13:03 pm »
What kind of mechanic would you use? Would it be poster-driven, or driven by you? A little more information other than the broad topic of speculative evolution would be nice. How speculative? Starting from what stage? How much biological background and know-how is expected of us?

If you want to run a game, there's not much more you can do but to put it out there and either see it stagnate, ignored, mocked, or thrive.

Offline Bardic

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 09:25:33 pm »
May I inquire as to the identity of this GD you speak of? I assure you, I have not frequented this forum before. Also, the e-mail is not gibberish; I simply have retained an email from a time when, in the far, far past, I was mildly obsessed with the character of protoman from the megaman vidjagame series. But that, in itself, is inconsequential (and slightly embarrassing). As well, I believe that I'm not the first new member to be labeled as a former member...
In response to the last post, I believe it would be poster-driven. Not a terrible amount of biological background is necessary, but I would appreciate not having joke species. It would begin with very simplistic lifeforms, hardly multicellular, the largest of which would be 1 cm. Frankly, I expect this to be both mocked and stagnate; it's more of an experiment than a real hope.

Offline lowlevelowl

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 09:36:10 pm »
I think GD was referring to Great Distance, someone who replied to your post above.

This forums seen many speculative evolution games come and go, some of them great and some of them not so great. I think the interest is definitely here, though you should know that this is 1. not the busiest forum and 2. not the most focused forum. I don't foresee a great amount of success for something that is poster-based and not GM-driven, but that's just my opinion. From what you're saying I'm getting the feeling that you want to do something almost exactly like Sagan 4, but starting from step one again. Is that right?

Also, you should know that if you do decide to do something like that, most likely at some point hydromancerx will come and harass you about trying to make a new project and not instead just joining his.

Offline Bardic

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 10:31:58 pm »
Oh. Wow, that was a bit(more than a bit, really) of a social misstep... I assumed he thought I was a former member... gah.
Also, I am not looking to restart Sagan 4 at my own whim , but would like to emulate some parts of it. If a GM driven game would attract more people, I would be more than willing to make my hypothetical game GMed. I was already going to add a point-buy system for basic adaptations, with more specific ones' costs determined by the project leader. Thanks for the advice.