Author Topic: Fiasco  (Read 7335 times)

Offline lowlevelowl

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
Fiasco
« on: March 04, 2011, 03:40:01 pm »

I want to run a little game called Fiasco. It's a collaborative shared-narrative game with a mechanic behind it that helps to push the game along without being restricting. The best summary of the premise for Fiasco comes right out of the book itself, and so I will quote it rather than trying to paraphrase it:

-----

Fiasco is inspired by cinematic tales of small time capers gone disastrously wrong – particularly films like Blood Simple, Fargo, The Way of the Gun, Burn After Reading, and A Simple Plan. You’ll play ordinary people with powerful ambition and poor impulse control. There will be big dreams and flawed execution. It won’t go well for them, to put it mildly, and in the end it will probably collapse into a glorious heap of jealousy, murder, and recrimination. Lives and reputations will be lost, painful wisdom will be gained, and if you are really lucky, your guy just might end up back where he started.

Fiasco is a shared narrative game. It requires 3-5 players, no prep, and no GM.  The game is created on the fly, with the players taking turns narrating the story.  Each player brings four d6 dice: two white, two black, to the table. These are then pooled into the center of the table and are used during the game.

-----

No knowledge of the rules or ownership of the rulebook is needed if you are interested, I will explain as we go along. Once understood, the rules are simple and easily understood.

The game itself has different 'playsets' to set the theme/setting of the particular session we decide to embark on. In the original book, there are four playsets. Main St., which involves a quiet southern town, Boomtown, a wild-west setting, Tales From Suburbia, involving the middle America suburbs, and The Ice, taking place in an Antarctic research station. The company has been releasing additional free playsets however, all available here, so you might want to download those and take a look.

So if this rouses your interest, let me know and we can create our own dark tale of horrific consequences and collateral damage. Krakow Sam wanted to run this same game a couple of months ago by voice methinks, but I prefer doing it the good ol forum and text way.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Fiasco
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 04:13:56 pm »
You should stop by IRC some time. We've been trying to do a game of Fiasco over video chat for a while now. :D

Offline lowlevelowl

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:26:56 pm »
Can't do video chat due to my lack of a mike, but I'd be down for an IRC session assuming we have the interest. At least three people?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 03:58:48 am »
Yeah I'm up for an IRC session at some point.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline lowlevelowl

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »
So that's three. What timezone is everyone in, GMT wise? I'm GMT -8.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:02:23 am »
Well given that you don't need the rule book i'd like to play, i'm on GMT.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 10:37:20 am »
I too am on GMT

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:06 am »
EASTERN STANDARD TIME OR KILL YOURSELF!

Also I have the rule book so I'm better than you guys.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 10:59:18 am »
I have an eeeelectronic version of the rulebook. That I payed money for so don't give me that look. :I

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:35:52 am »

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 12:03:32 pm »
actually, i just bought it as well...

EDIT: Any chance of getting a game in tommorow? Sam tells me he's free.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:44:21 pm by munchkin5 »

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 03:08:27 pm »
I want to play!

Central Standard Time (CST) = GMT-6
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline lowlevelowl

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 04:50:42 am »
Five interested, that's a full game.

lowlevelowl - GMT-8
PatMan33 - GMT-5
Krakow Sam - GMT
munchkin5 - GMT
erops - GMT-6

So first thing we need to do is to find time on a schedule, I'd say for at least a 1-2 hour session to kick off with, hopefully 2-3 for a full game.

I'm free most of the week except for Wednesdays and Saturdays, though I can do nights then (probably). Late nights work best for me.

Second thing we should do is list off all the playsets we're interested in, and see what overlaps.

I like the Ice (antarctic research station), Dragon Slayers (cliched fantasy), Transatlantic (Titanic-esque cruise ship), Lucky Strike (WW2 U.S. army replacement depot), and Last Frontier (alaskan wilderness).

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 05:53:57 am »
If GMT-ers are involved then late night is pretty much out of the question unfortunately. I am free almost every weekday afternoon and most weekday evenings, weekends are possible but I generally have other sorts of games on those days so its not ideal.

I think the times that would align best would be about 7 or 8 in the evening GMT, which would be lunchtime for the Americanos.

As for which settings, I am cool with pretty much anything but I do like the look of Lucky Strike especially. I've played Gangster London before and that was pretty cool. Otherwise I would be interested in Touring Rock Band and Dallas 1963 as well.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 06:51:56 am »
I like the look of Last Frontier quite a lot.

Also, around 8:00 GMT is good for me during the week, weekends are a bit more flexible.