Author Topic: Extreme Planet Types ?  (Read 18513 times)

Offline Psychic_Dude

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
Extreme Planet Types ?
« on: December 13, 2005, 01:51:59 pm »
Any mention if the player can evolve on planets like a volcanic, desert or ice planet ? or just on earth like worlds with the green and all that, if not I think that would be a bit disappointing for me.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
Re: Extreme Planet Types ?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 01:53:52 pm »
I don't know, although it may have been mentioned somewhere. Anyway, its highly possible that we will have varied worlds instead of just a generic earth twin.

Offline crippits

• Donkey Kong King
  • Insert Llama noise here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:56:39 pm »
i would hope so too. it's obvious by looking just in our solar system, that there are a variety of planet types. I would assume they would put them into the Spore as well. But i think the whole planet Creation thing is speculation, isn't it? we know you can terraform, but we don't know if we'll have control over what kind of terraforming we can do.

Bow before the Llamas! They demand your respect!

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 02:00:47 pm »
Also it is mentioned somewhere (in the WW interview from the last E3, may have also mentioned in the GDC vid) about terraforming values or something which would show how well your species would survive on a planet. like for example your race is an aquatic race, thier homeworld would be a T10, while a planet without water on it would be a T0.

Found the piece of the interview I'm talking about:
There's a terraforming … as you terraform, this is kind of the rough idea is that every planet has a “T Score” from zero to ten, “B Score”, which is a biosphere score, and a “P Score”, which is the population score of your colony. Depending where the planets are relative to the sun they can have maximum T Scores. So planets that are really far away or really close to the center can have very low T Scores and you can never terraform them, they’re very high. Other ones will be moderately useful, like T6. That’s going cap the B Score so if I actually get an atmosphere up to a T6, which is this range. At this point, plants will live, animals won't, and colonies will be fairly expensive still. And so, this is kind of the terraform/colonization game.

GS: Is this something that is shown to the player or is this hidden?

WW: Yes.

GS: Shown where? So they'll know like, "that’s a really good planet there." But that’s for that culture so if it’s water-based, T10 is a water planet, but for someone else that can be a T0.

WW: It’s the real estate value. So I look at a star, I look at a planet and I say, "oh, that’s a really great planet, I want that plane! Only there are already colonies there … I want to eradicate them so I can colonize it." Or it might be there's a really marginal one, and I kind of I end up losing money on it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 02:05:08 pm by smjjames »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 02:05:46 pm »
Any mention if the player can evolve on planets like a volcanic, desert or ice planet ? or just on earth like worlds with the green and all that, if not I think that would be a bit disappointing for me.

Well in the video the eyeball alien planet that Will blew up he said was much more arid (desert) than the one he came from. So yes to the desert at least. I don't see why you could not have your own Star Wars planets like Hoth (the ice planet) or Mustafar (the volcano planet).

Offline Psychic_Dude

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 02:09:48 pm »
I'm not talking about terraforming a planet into those, I'm talking about having the player's home world  and evolving on like a volcanic planet with lava or it being a huge desert world.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 02:14:02 pm »
That part is all speculation, it could be defined by how you make the creature (probably wouldn't work too well, plus the environment might suddendly shift because of a small change you made on the creature), or more likely you could define it before you start developing the creature.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 02:15:57 pm »
ever played master of orion 3?  the way that terraforming would work is that every planet had scores for heat and atmospheric pressure, and every species had different preferences.  the planet's habitability would be determined by how close it is to the species ideal.  if we used that system in spore, the terraformer could potentially be a powerful weapon, altering the atmophere away from the other race's preferences and towards your own (The Arrival, starring Charlie Sheen; a good movie that gets no respect)

ideally almost every environment could give rise to SOME kind of life.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Psychic_Dude

• Lunar Lander Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 02:20:43 pm »
Yes, the MOO3 thing was exactly what I was trying to ask, hopefully there will be a system like that.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 02:23:45 pm »
I haven't played MOO3, but I've visited the site before, so I've read about the heat and pressure thing

If he really wants to make things authentic, then WW could add a gravity score. Although I'm not sure how that could be implemented well enough. Still, you wouldn't be able to alter the gravity in any way, unless you had the technology to keep your bones from snapping in high gravity.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 02:51:53 pm »
well you could employ artificial gravity, or alter the local gravitational constant.  when steve wanted new questions to ask ww i said he should ask how robust the physics engine would be, allowing technological tampering, artificial planets and soforth.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 03:24:19 pm »
In the video (or an interview?), Wil mentioned something about there being several variables (on a scale from 1 to 10 I believe) for each planet -- Distance from sun, planet size (?), and I think something else.

Offline smjjames

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 03:36:50 pm »
I think the other factor is atmosphere, he said in the interview:  I actually get an atmosphere up to a T6, which is this range. At this point, plants will live, animals won't, and colonies will be fairly expensive still. And so, this is kind of the terraform/colonization game.

So a T6 atmosphere would likely resemble Mars atmosphere, alot of carbon dioxide and very little oxygen. It seems like all creatures are going to be oxygen breathers even though breathing some other gas is possible, so I guess he is keeping the metabolism thing simple.

The atmosphere thing suggests that there will be various atmosphere compositions. So atmosphere rankings from 10-8 would be similar atmosphere as to what the aliens homeworld has and they can adapt to it, a 7 would be marginal I guess. so, further down in a 3-5 would indicate a poisonous atmosphere or a thin one.

Of course though, everything is speculation right now.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 04:02:16 pm »
I noticed in the video, that as the pointer passed over the different worlds, a little box would pop up displaying an image of the planet and giving a bunch of info. I always figured that was what told you how suitable it was for your species, planet type, who owns it (if any), things of that nature.

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 06:24:07 pm »
Random thought,
do yall think that, when you scroll over a planet, that the image will be procedureally generated?
That would be cool, maybe even simple...?

Oh, another random thought...
Anyone read Red Mars (and green and blue...)? Basically mars revolted and fought a war with earth.
Do you guys think that inter-species war will be possible (at least very early in the space stage?) depending on the way you raised them (logical, war-like, etc)?
Silver_Kiwi