Poll

IT'S THE COPS!

Play it cool, bros.
*run to the bathroom and hide in the shower*
CHEESE IT!
I ain't afraid of no pigs. *poker face*

Author Topic: The Planetary Construction Project v2: EVEN MORE PCP!  (Read 29151 times)

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
Re: The Planetary Construction Project v2: EVEN MORE PCP!
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2011, 10:42:11 am »

This OK? No sure about rivers yet...

And those small islands are volcanic islanda that have punched though weak areas in the crust.

And a suggestion for the Nations Phase - why stop at the age of sail? Why not go on into the industrial and modern eras?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2011, 10:43:59 am »
As far as inland water is concerned, just leave it blank as you would with seawater. We will touch up all inland water and assign it its own color in post-processing immediately after this phase ends.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2011, 10:49:42 am »
Because he wanted to exert some sort of control over the map by inconveniencing everyone else. He is on notice.

Since neither he or I can claim G1 (we both have adjacent tiles), I wish to collude with whoever claims G1 and make the water on the northern side of Raz's tile an inland sea.

Way ahead of you.

G1...

Not sure why, but some of the older borders I drew are a little blurred. Is it still okay?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2011, 10:52:53 am »
I think it's blurred because of how far out the final product is zoomed. When I paste them in the map and zoom in the blur vanishes at a certain level.

Got a question! Would you be opposed to connecting the southwestern tip of G1 to the northeastern tip of G9? :D

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2011, 10:53:39 am »
P2:

I'll admit it isn't as pretty as some others, but I hope I did it right. I'll tweak/trash as needed.
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2011, 10:55:43 am »
Got a question! Would you be opposed to connecting the southwestern tip of G1 to the northeastern tip of G9? :D

That was actually what it was like initially, I changed it last minute. Hold on a second.

EDIT - A few taps of CTRL+Z later...

Is that alright?

EDIT2 - While I'm here, I may as well show you guys how to produce maps that are sex -

For a long time, I've been using this map generator. I just generate maps a few times until I find a few very nice ones, then take out bits and cobble them together. This was the map I used for my map piece above;

I find a nice piece, zoom in really close, and then draw over it in a new layer. I use Adobe Flash, as I think it produces the nicest, smoothest lines, and it's just a pleasure to use.

Here are some examples I've made before -

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 11:08:09 am by Tesla »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2011, 11:02:59 am »
Looks good!

Let me add that into my map segment and I'll post mine up.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2011, 11:07:00 am »
I figured out your blur problem, Tesla. You used the brush instead of the pencil. We can't use brush-painted tiles reliably, unfortunately. :-X

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2011, 11:08:54 am »
I figured out your blur problem, Tesla. You used the brush instead of the pencil. We can't use brush-painted tiles reliably, unfortunately. :-X

It looks sharp in the file I have in my computer, though. So if you need to, I can go back and sort it out.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2011, 11:15:47 am »
Hmm... double check and make sure there isn't some sort of anti-aliasing going on when it saves or whatever.

Here is G9! It should connect perfectly with the adjacent tiles.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2011, 11:16:53 am »
No brushes. I already said it once to try to help draw more attention to it.

Wow, I'm really going to have to redo my section. Everyone's looks so pretty.

But just a question for Raz. Why did you design G4 with so much water when it sits in the middle of the area of claimable tiles?

Because Ovi and I had a little argument over whether or not I could bend the shape of the continent to my will. Turns out I can.  :P But hey, now we have an awesome inland sea that's even larger than the Mediterranean. Imagine the fun  :P

Oh and don't go nuts with the rivers people. If you remove a pixel, and it is supposed to equal a mile, then you're creating rivers on par with the Nile and Amazon. Especially since we'll probably change that scale to something larger.

And I think we should have a small Strait where G1 and G9 meet. This makes it possible for the massive amount of people who'd likely live on the coast of the inland sea to get their ships out, and creates a point as strategic as Gibraltar is.

I agree with Krakow.
I think for the time being we shouldn't do things like elevation maps. We can already signify where mountains are, and also lowlands (swamps), and really, while realism is a good aim, the more data we try to shoehorn into the map, the less fun it will be for everyone to reconcile their ideas with the unreasonably high standards which have been set. It just gets to the point where if we are being so rigid about it we might as well just use a terrain generator to make the landmasses and skip straight to making civilisations. :P

Also, lets not forget that meteorology and climate science aren't currently something we have that big of a grasp of, all sorts of unusual things can affect local and global climates, so I don't think we need to worry too much about the intricacies of climate. As long as its warmer in the middle and colder at the poles, and there are no deserts right next to jungles we should be cool.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2011, 11:19:48 am »

But just a question for Raz. Why did you design G4 with so much water when it sits in the middle of the area of claimable tiles?

Because Ovi and I had a little argument over whether or not I could bend the shape of the continent to my will. Turns out I can. 

Seriously?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2011, 11:20:21 am »
Because Ovi and I had a little argument over whether or not I could bend the shape of the continent to my will. Turns out I can.  :P But hey, now we have an awesome inland sea that's even larger than the Mediterranean. Imagine the fun  :P

And that's how you get yourself removed from the land phase. You may not submit any more tiles to the map. Don't be a jerk next time.

And I think we should have a small Strait where G1 and G9 meet. This makes it possible for the massive amount of people who'd likely live on the coast of the inland sea to get their ships out, and creates a point as strategic as Gibraltar is.

No.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2011, 11:22:33 am »

Because Ovi and I had a little argument over whether or not I could bend the shape of the continent to my will. Turns out I can.

Seriously?

Basically. Ovi wouldn't back down.

And that's how you get yourself removed from the land phase. You may not submit any more tiles to the map. Don't be a jerk next time.

No.

I wasn't planning on submitting any more, and I'm not being a jerk, I made a very interesting sea. And alright, I'll just edit my tile slightly.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2011, 11:23:08 am »
No need to do that! Your tile is already in and will work fine.