Author Topic: Future World  (Read 10486 times)

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
Future World
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »
The premise of this game is pretty simple. If your remember my old Populous game, or Yuu's Blue Planet, then It's pretty similar to that. Everyone chooses a country, then you manage that country with a third-person account of your turn, while the moderator (in this case, me) does exactly what his name implies. While usually these things take place on a map, this one's going to be taking a slightly different route. I've made up a simplified future 150 years in the future. The history is made up to make politics relatively simple and to make a roughly equal balance of power between the alliances(except for South America and Russia, which will be NCP nations). Your job is to build a space program and colonize the solar system. Colonization will soon give way to cooperative(or not!) terraforming, and once someone gets FTL, you'll have the ability to send probes to other stars, then colonization missions. Note that this isn't necessarily based on reality! Fusion is already accepted, and warp-based FTL and stargates will be too! I'll moderate your progress, so nothing silly, nonsensical, or too fast. Too many game-interrupting posts will get you kicked! As before, if too many people sign up you'll be paired. That probably won't happen this time, though.

Here's a map. All are nearly equally powerful, except for South America and Russia. Those are automatically NPC's, you can't pick them.

European Union
A continuation of the modern European Union, it governs all states in western and central Europe, as well as some Eastern European nations. Israel, Suriname, and French Guinea are also members. The most powerful members are Britain, France, Germany, and Poland, but all are highly industrialized. A small number of Antarctic claims have given it a degree of control over natural resources.

North American Free Trade Association
A gradual expansion of NAFTA eventually led to all of North America falling under a single trade organization, which over the years has increased its power greatly in relation to its individual states. The individual states of Mexico and the United States are only barely more unified under their technical government than under the trade association. A slight decline of the United States and large economic growth by Mexico has led to the latter being only slightly less powerful than the United States.

League of Arabian-Aligned States
A union of Islamic states, the LAAS extends from Guinea to Pakistan. While the union imports much of its food, the far-eastern regions are large producers of grains, and a combination of free energy with cheap and effective desalination plants has made the wide-spread irrigation of the desert practical. Much of the Sahara is coated in miles upon miles of glittering photovoltaic cells, exporting to the rapidly industrializing nations to the South and the power hungry European Union. The leading nations are Afghanistan, Turkey, and Egypt.

Pan-African Economic Union
The poorest collection of states during our time, in a hundred and fifty years they are still the poorest; however this means nothing as it is a relative nation. Most are industrialized to the point of South Korea during our time, and those that are not are rapidly industrializing. With some of the last reserves of natural resources on the planet, in conjunction with a sizeable claim on Antarctica, they are the only union still undergoing rapid economic growth. The leading states are South Africa and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

South Asian Economic Forum
An effort headed by newly industrialized India and Indonesia midway through the twenty first century, its original purpose was to foster economic growth in the region, and it has been remarkably successful in accomplishing this goal. The leading nations are India and Indonesia.

Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market
Encompassing East Asia and much of Oceania, it is one of the more powerful unions. While originally completely dominated by China and Japan, massive irrigation programs in Australia, widespread immigration from the crowded nations to the north, and the nation's strategic location nearby the large Antarctica claims held by the union, have led to a larger Australian presence even as Japanese influence declined, the height of its potential economic power being reached decades ago. The leading states are Australia and China.

Federated South American States
A federation of most South American states. Headed by Brazil and Argentina, possesses good-size Antarctic claims.

North Eurasian Economic Zone
An economic zone centered on Russia, the nation's re-industrialization led to the creation of a new economic zone assmilating many of the former soviet states that had not joined the European Union. Over the years, many Eastern European nations have defected from the European Union to join the economic zone, and Russia's large quantity of undeveloped natural resources has given the region a greater economic union, although it remains the weakest of the unions. The leading nations are Russia, the Ukraine, and Kazakhstan.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Re: Future World
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:04:28 pm »
Yurop
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:40:57 pm »
No Southern Sudan? Afghanistan is more powerful than Iran? Israel exists in (presumably) its current state?

More to the point, your map makes this confusing. Do I choose a big pan-whatever alliance or an individual nation within it?
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:49:15 pm »
I choose NAFTA
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:05:28 pm »
Very interesting! I've always had an idea like this locked away in my head so this is quite awesome!

I'll take Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market, if possible.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:06:38 am »
Federated South American States.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:21:34 am »
No Southern Sudan? Afghanistan is more powerful than Iran? Israel exists in (presumably) its current state?

More to the point, your map makes this confusing. Do I choose a big pan-whatever alliance or an individual nation within it?
I didn't say it was realistic! Just simplified. You choose an alliance;for all intents and purposes, it acts like a a single nation.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:09:34 pm »
Excellent. Here's the list of players.

EU - Flisch
LAAS - Dr. Z
FSAS - Haseri
NAFTA - Badger
SNCM - Josasa

Which leaves the NEEZ, PAEU, and the SAEF as NPC's. All have roughly the same space capacity; there are a few scattered international "colonies" on the moon and one on mars, equivalent to today's Antarctic research stations. Much of the food supply is produced there, but most manufactured products that keep the stations running have to be implemented. A few companies run small "space tourism" operations, allowing flights to zero-gravity hotels. Getting into space, much cheaper than today, is still expensive. A few thousand is spent per person for a few days in one of the notoriously cramped and gimmicky stations. For this reason, space tourism remains largely unexploited as a niche market.

The date is 2150 C.E. A unanimous vote has repealed the outer space treaty, for so long limiting the human development of space, as the population of Earth pushes against the restraints set upon it by available land area, as the vast hordes of Earth use up the resources alloted them. A new law is laid down, and once again the vote is unanimous. The federations, the leagues, the unions of Earth set their collective gazes skyward. A new era is on the horizon.

New U.N. Law: Revision of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space

- Any state or federation of states my claim land on any celestial body outside of the Earth-Moon system

- To make a claim on a celestial object or portion of a celestial object with a surface area exceeding 10,000 KM2, a political body must have a population of 50,000 stationed permanently on the aforementioned body

- No governmental body is allowed to claim a planet, Luna, or any body with a diameter exceeding 3,000 Kilometers, only portions dependent on population

- No governmental body may claim any land on Luna. Governed area will be areas in which citizens are permanently housed. Any lunar colony will be free to break away from the parent government at any time, with no retaliatory force by the government.

- No thermonuclear warheads are to be present at anytime in outer space

- The U.N. has a right to cease colonization or terraforming efforts at any time indigenous life or any other items of value are threatened

- Terraformation plans must be sent to the U.N. to review before being put into action.

- No weapons of any kind will be allowed on Luna, except by U.N. peacekeeping forces

By the way, you all have the ability to propose new laws and etc. Three or more federations voting no will lead to a veto. Although these are the basic "rules", remember that the U.N. isn't necessarily me. I've nothing against thermonuclear warheads in space, for instance. Just don't get caught. :P

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:14:02 pm by Clarke »

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:01 pm »
Pump all our money in a space program.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »
Begin construction of a large space station orbiting Jupiter, capable of housing at least 2,000 people permanently and have room for expansion. Said space station should possess 'torpedoes' designed to breach the hull of space shuttles. Label this project as a scientific research station.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:41:34 pm »
Too fast; you barely have enough strength to maintain a small martian outpost in conjunction with all the other nations on the planet. You're not going to be able to maintain a two-thousand strong base near Jupiter.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:23:01 pm »
Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market - 2150 C.E.

Begin diplomatic talks with the South Asian Economic Forum for peace and a greater cooperation between the two unions. Specifically, focus on free trade and limited tariffs between the two. At the same time, send out feelers to see if the South Asian Economic Forum would eventually agree to a demilitarized border.

On the homefront, funding should be invested towards research focused on easier transportation between the surface and low orbit. Several ideas that could be considered are mass drivers to launch supplies into space, an actual space elevator, or even anti-gravity pads (if that is within the realm of possibility for this game).

On the spacefront, money and materials should be focused on the construction of a large assembly space station built in a geosynchronous orbit several miles east of Shanghai (a seemingly central position). This station should have a very large capacity for both crew members and room for the construction of space ships. For all intents and purposes, this should be a basic shipyard in earth's orbit.

The Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market sends out a message concerning all nations capable of space travel (including the European Union, North American Free Trade Association, League of Arabian-Aligned States, Pan-African Economic Union, South Asian Economic Forum, Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market, Federated South American States, and the North Eurasian Economic Zone) to form the United Space-Faring Nations (or USFN). The USFN would be related, but separate from the United Nations and would specifically focus on laws dealing with the migration and colonization of space. This creation of this organization would be based on the following:
  • In order to be a member, the nation must have a large populace outside the orbit of the earth (large populace being that of 50,000 people or more).
  • All laws formerly passed by the United Nations concerning space must undergo a vote in order to be established as USFN law.
  • All members have an equal vote within the USFN.
  • All members have the ability to propose a law, which must then be voted upon. Three or more votes of "nay" automatically veto any law (same as the U.N.).
  • The capital, if passed, could temporarily be hosted within the Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market, but would be better placed either outside the orbit of earth, or on Luna within neutral territory.

Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market votes in favor of this proposition (obviously).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:22:53 am by Josasa »

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 01:48:01 am »
The European Union agrees and votes in favour too. (Though, only if we have a large populace outside of Earth, I'm not sure.) >_>

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 01:51:58 am »
NAFTA votes Nay on the movement. Also begin research into life support systems and colonization methods.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 03:01:16 am »
The FSAS votes Nay on that proposition, as the UN already covers most of those rules anyway. Just seems like an extra step.

Anyway, start research on a space elevator on our small colony on the Moon - the reduced 0.16 gravity will be an excellant testing ground. And persuade our buisnesses to invest in the next biggest thing in space hotels: Spin Gravity! We estimate a 0.5 km long cylinder could spin enough to simulate 1G.

And are ion drives already in use? 'Cause those slow-thrust ships would be useful in the inner solar system, as they pack more delta-V than chemical rockets.

And finally, I would like to put forward a resolution: Orion Drives* cannot be used to lift off from Earth. They can only be used from Earth orbit, far away from any civillian hotels, or from a tiny asteroid.

*Orion Drives, or External Pulsed Plasma engines, eject nuclear bombs and use large pusher plates to ride the resultant plasma wave. They are very fast.