Author Topic: Future World  (Read 10327 times)

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
Future World
« on: February 02, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »
The premise of this game is pretty simple. If your remember my old Populous game, or Yuu's Blue Planet, then It's pretty similar to that. Everyone chooses a country, then you manage that country with a third-person account of your turn, while the moderator (in this case, me) does exactly what his name implies. While usually these things take place on a map, this one's going to be taking a slightly different route. I've made up a simplified future 150 years in the future. The history is made up to make politics relatively simple and to make a roughly equal balance of power between the alliances(except for South America and Russia, which will be NCP nations). Your job is to build a space program and colonize the solar system. Colonization will soon give way to cooperative(or not!) terraforming, and once someone gets FTL, you'll have the ability to send probes to other stars, then colonization missions. Note that this isn't necessarily based on reality! Fusion is already accepted, and warp-based FTL and stargates will be too! I'll moderate your progress, so nothing silly, nonsensical, or too fast. Too many game-interrupting posts will get you kicked! As before, if too many people sign up you'll be paired. That probably won't happen this time, though.

Here's a map. All are nearly equally powerful, except for South America and Russia. Those are automatically NPC's, you can't pick them.

European Union
A continuation of the modern European Union, it governs all states in western and central Europe, as well as some Eastern European nations. Israel, Suriname, and French Guinea are also members. The most powerful members are Britain, France, Germany, and Poland, but all are highly industrialized. A small number of Antarctic claims have given it a degree of control over natural resources.

North American Free Trade Association
A gradual expansion of NAFTA eventually led to all of North America falling under a single trade organization, which over the years has increased its power greatly in relation to its individual states. The individual states of Mexico and the United States are only barely more unified under their technical government than under the trade association. A slight decline of the United States and large economic growth by Mexico has led to the latter being only slightly less powerful than the United States.

League of Arabian-Aligned States
A union of Islamic states, the LAAS extends from Guinea to Pakistan. While the union imports much of its food, the far-eastern regions are large producers of grains, and a combination of free energy with cheap and effective desalination plants has made the wide-spread irrigation of the desert practical. Much of the Sahara is coated in miles upon miles of glittering photovoltaic cells, exporting to the rapidly industrializing nations to the South and the power hungry European Union. The leading nations are Afghanistan, Turkey, and Egypt.

Pan-African Economic Union
The poorest collection of states during our time, in a hundred and fifty years they are still the poorest; however this means nothing as it is a relative nation. Most are industrialized to the point of South Korea during our time, and those that are not are rapidly industrializing. With some of the last reserves of natural resources on the planet, in conjunction with a sizeable claim on Antarctica, they are the only union still undergoing rapid economic growth. The leading states are South Africa and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

South Asian Economic Forum
An effort headed by newly industrialized India and Indonesia midway through the twenty first century, its original purpose was to foster economic growth in the region, and it has been remarkably successful in accomplishing this goal. The leading nations are India and Indonesia.

Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market
Encompassing East Asia and much of Oceania, it is one of the more powerful unions. While originally completely dominated by China and Japan, massive irrigation programs in Australia, widespread immigration from the crowded nations to the north, and the nation's strategic location nearby the large Antarctica claims held by the union, have led to a larger Australian presence even as Japanese influence declined, the height of its potential economic power being reached decades ago. The leading states are Australia and China.

Federated South American States
A federation of most South American states. Headed by Brazil and Argentina, possesses good-size Antarctic claims.

North Eurasian Economic Zone
An economic zone centered on Russia, the nation's re-industrialization led to the creation of a new economic zone assmilating many of the former soviet states that had not joined the European Union. Over the years, many Eastern European nations have defected from the European Union to join the economic zone, and Russia's large quantity of undeveloped natural resources has given the region a greater economic union, although it remains the weakest of the unions. The leading nations are Russia, the Ukraine, and Kazakhstan.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
Re: Future World
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:04:28 pm »
Yurop
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 07:40:57 pm »
No Southern Sudan? Afghanistan is more powerful than Iran? Israel exists in (presumably) its current state?

More to the point, your map makes this confusing. Do I choose a big pan-whatever alliance or an individual nation within it?
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:49:15 pm »
I choose NAFTA
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 08:05:28 pm »
Very interesting! I've always had an idea like this locked away in my head so this is quite awesome!

I'll take Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market, if possible.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 02:06:38 am »
Federated South American States.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:21:34 am »
No Southern Sudan? Afghanistan is more powerful than Iran? Israel exists in (presumably) its current state?

More to the point, your map makes this confusing. Do I choose a big pan-whatever alliance or an individual nation within it?
I didn't say it was realistic! Just simplified. You choose an alliance;for all intents and purposes, it acts like a a single nation.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:09:34 pm »
Excellent. Here's the list of players.

EU - Flisch
LAAS - Dr. Z
FSAS - Haseri
NAFTA - Badger
SNCM - Josasa

Which leaves the NEEZ, PAEU, and the SAEF as NPC's. All have roughly the same space capacity; there are a few scattered international "colonies" on the moon and one on mars, equivalent to today's Antarctic research stations. Much of the food supply is produced there, but most manufactured products that keep the stations running have to be implemented. A few companies run small "space tourism" operations, allowing flights to zero-gravity hotels. Getting into space, much cheaper than today, is still expensive. A few thousand is spent per person for a few days in one of the notoriously cramped and gimmicky stations. For this reason, space tourism remains largely unexploited as a niche market.

The date is 2150 C.E. A unanimous vote has repealed the outer space treaty, for so long limiting the human development of space, as the population of Earth pushes against the restraints set upon it by available land area, as the vast hordes of Earth use up the resources alloted them. A new law is laid down, and once again the vote is unanimous. The federations, the leagues, the unions of Earth set their collective gazes skyward. A new era is on the horizon.

New U.N. Law: Revision of the Treaty on Principles Governing the Activities of States in the Exploration and Use of Outer Space

- Any state or federation of states my claim land on any celestial body outside of the Earth-Moon system

- To make a claim on a celestial object or portion of a celestial object with a surface area exceeding 10,000 KM2, a political body must have a population of 50,000 stationed permanently on the aforementioned body

- No governmental body is allowed to claim a planet, Luna, or any body with a diameter exceeding 3,000 Kilometers, only portions dependent on population

- No governmental body may claim any land on Luna. Governed area will be areas in which citizens are permanently housed. Any lunar colony will be free to break away from the parent government at any time, with no retaliatory force by the government.

- No thermonuclear warheads are to be present at anytime in outer space

- The U.N. has a right to cease colonization or terraforming efforts at any time indigenous life or any other items of value are threatened

- Terraformation plans must be sent to the U.N. to review before being put into action.

- No weapons of any kind will be allowed on Luna, except by U.N. peacekeeping forces

By the way, you all have the ability to propose new laws and etc. Three or more federations voting no will lead to a veto. Although these are the basic "rules", remember that the U.N. isn't necessarily me. I've nothing against thermonuclear warheads in space, for instance. Just don't get caught. :P

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:14:02 pm by Clarke »

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:01 pm »
Pump all our money in a space program.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »
Begin construction of a large space station orbiting Jupiter, capable of housing at least 2,000 people permanently and have room for expansion. Said space station should possess 'torpedoes' designed to breach the hull of space shuttles. Label this project as a scientific research station.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:41:34 pm »
Too fast; you barely have enough strength to maintain a small martian outpost in conjunction with all the other nations on the planet. You're not going to be able to maintain a two-thousand strong base near Jupiter.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:23:01 pm »
Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market - 2150 C.E.

Begin diplomatic talks with the South Asian Economic Forum for peace and a greater cooperation between the two unions. Specifically, focus on free trade and limited tariffs between the two. At the same time, send out feelers to see if the South Asian Economic Forum would eventually agree to a demilitarized border.

On the homefront, funding should be invested towards research focused on easier transportation between the surface and low orbit. Several ideas that could be considered are mass drivers to launch supplies into space, an actual space elevator, or even anti-gravity pads (if that is within the realm of possibility for this game).

On the spacefront, money and materials should be focused on the construction of a large assembly space station built in a geosynchronous orbit several miles east of Shanghai (a seemingly central position). This station should have a very large capacity for both crew members and room for the construction of space ships. For all intents and purposes, this should be a basic shipyard in earth's orbit.

The Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market sends out a message concerning all nations capable of space travel (including the European Union, North American Free Trade Association, League of Arabian-Aligned States, Pan-African Economic Union, South Asian Economic Forum, Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market, Federated South American States, and the North Eurasian Economic Zone) to form the United Space-Faring Nations (or USFN). The USFN would be related, but separate from the United Nations and would specifically focus on laws dealing with the migration and colonization of space. This creation of this organization would be based on the following:
  • In order to be a member, the nation must have a large populace outside the orbit of the earth (large populace being that of 50,000 people or more).
  • All laws formerly passed by the United Nations concerning space must undergo a vote in order to be established as USFN law.
  • All members have an equal vote within the USFN.
  • All members have the ability to propose a law, which must then be voted upon. Three or more votes of "nay" automatically veto any law (same as the U.N.).
  • The capital, if passed, could temporarily be hosted within the Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market, but would be better placed either outside the orbit of earth, or on Luna within neutral territory.

Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market votes in favor of this proposition (obviously).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:22:53 am by Josasa »

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 01:48:01 am »
The European Union agrees and votes in favour too. (Though, only if we have a large populace outside of Earth, I'm not sure.) >_>

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 01:51:58 am »
NAFTA votes Nay on the movement. Also begin research into life support systems and colonization methods.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 03:01:16 am »
The FSAS votes Nay on that proposition, as the UN already covers most of those rules anyway. Just seems like an extra step.

Anyway, start research on a space elevator on our small colony on the Moon - the reduced 0.16 gravity will be an excellant testing ground. And persuade our buisnesses to invest in the next biggest thing in space hotels: Spin Gravity! We estimate a 0.5 km long cylinder could spin enough to simulate 1G.

And are ion drives already in use? 'Cause those slow-thrust ships would be useful in the inner solar system, as they pack more delta-V than chemical rockets.

And finally, I would like to put forward a resolution: Orion Drives* cannot be used to lift off from Earth. They can only be used from Earth orbit, far away from any civillian hotels, or from a tiny asteroid.

*Orion Drives, or External Pulsed Plasma engines, eject nuclear bombs and use large pusher plates to ride the resultant plasma wave. They are very fast.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 07:58:42 am »
Shouldn't you already be able to use ion drives since we have them today?
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 08:01:12 am »
Yes, but not widely used.

And it was more a question than an order.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 09:26:02 am »
The Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market would like to point out that the UN still contains those states not capable of reaching space, yet they have an equal say in the laws concerning space. At the same time, it would probably be a good idea to separate home from space. There are many concerns that the UN can deal with on Earth while the USFN would be more suited to focusing on space. This separation would benefit everyone involved, and no doubt spur on larger migration to space with more efficient laws.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 09:43:39 am »
(Yeah, the UN controls all that stuff, it's more powerful during this time than it is now. All nations already have space capability, but non have fifty thousand, or anywhere close, in space at this time. There are no states that remain outside of the influence of a federation, and all are represented by a federation, not individually.

As for rockets, remember we have widespread fusion power. It should take one turn to reach any object in the inner solar system, and two to any object within the orbit of Saturn.

Note that nobody has any colonies yet. A few small research stations are on the moon, one on mars. These are all controlled by the U.N.

I'd like everybody to have a space elevator eventually, really. Everyone has territories on or near the equator, small islands controlled by the EU and NAFTA, such as the pacific islands and St. Helena, are still in their control.

And Dr. Z, Flisch owns Israel. You'd have to ask him.)

The NEEZ, PAEU, and SAEF all begin pumping large quantities of money toward the research and development of space-based technologies. All plan to establish basic moon colonies, while the PAEU also begins work on an expedition to Mars. SAEF begins drafting blueprints to transform a mid-sized asteroid into a habitable area by carving it out and capping it, spinning it to generate gravity. The NEEZ starts a program that will attempt to mine asteroids for the materials which are now scarce on Earth. The SAEF agrees to the SPCM's proposals to demilitarize and reduce tariffs.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:46:13 am by Clarke »

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 02:06:51 pm »
Yeah, uh... I don't see any progress bar, so... how about pumping more money into space programs?

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 02:26:50 pm »
Perhaps I should have been more clear. It isn't exactly like Populous - in fact a player's posts should quite outnumber mine. I only step in to correct something that's gone a bit too far, like Badger's Jupiter station, and to post NPC and UN actions.

So, for now, you could start setting up colonies on the moon and mars, someone could claim Phobos or Demos, or maybe begin developing mining operations in the asteroid belt. "Start sending the habitats needed for a small colony over to Valles Marineres, and begin selection of a few hundred colonists, as well as assembling a few larger ships in orbit. Begin a program to locate a medium-sized crater to develop into a colony on the moon." would be an example post. If you move to fast, I'll tell you, and you can adjust your post so that the actions are toned down a bit.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 02:47:30 pm »
So this is really a lot more free form? We just kinda go at what we think is the right speed and you cut in if it's too fast?

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2011, 03:04:24 pm »
Exactly.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 03:20:38 pm »
Can I join?

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2011, 03:39:37 pm »
Sure.

If anybody doesn't post within 30 hours, Raz gets their federation. :3

*Clarke starts a stopwatch*

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2011, 03:40:50 pm »
Well, you've got three NPCs, and NPCs aren't as interesting as PCs.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »
Yeah, but I like to have some control. I also feel a few people have lost interest, so I'm just going to wait and see who posts and who doesn't.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2011, 03:43:18 pm »
I was starting to hawk the NEEZ federation though :o Untapped natural resources? And they're going into space? Exploit those suckers first.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »
Fine, you can have them. :P

But I'll start posting for players if they continue to be inactive for an extended period of time.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 04:16:17 pm »

The NEEZ, in an unpredicted move, suddenly abandoned plans for a lunar colony, stating, "The effort simply isn't worth it at this time. We must strengthen the Motherland before pushing out further into space." However, they plan to continue funding a space program, as well as the earlier plans to mine asteroids for raw materials, but most of the funding will be immediately diverted to the "Strong Motherland Plan."

The plan details efforts to repair and rebuild aging infrastructure, finance the construction of mines and factories to vitalize the economy, offer incentives to citizens to move near to the new work sites, and expand the rail and road system across the NEEZ, with particular attention to connecting vital resource sites, among other initiatives to strengthen the Earth-side NEEZ economy, including increasing the number of recycling facilities to take in the world's scraps and trash so that the valuable materials can be extracted, as well as plans to almost completely switch farming activity over to highly efficient robots to produce a larger crop to turn the NEEZ into much more of a player in the increasingly strained agricultural markets of the world.

The current Prime Minister views the exploitation of Russia's untapped resources as far more important to not only the NEEZ, but also to the other federations, who will want and need Russian materials to expand their space programs effectively.

For foreign policy, Prime Minister Dakistov heavily lowered tariffs and trade barriers to the other federations, looking to further economically integrate the NEEZ into the rest of the world. Dakistov also voted Nay against the creation of the USFN. Other than that, the NEEZ were rather quiet on the foreign front.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2011, 05:44:55 pm »

Inner Domestic (Earth)
With research funding came results. The SPCM was able to modify existing mass drivers to efficiently and effectively launch heavy (and light) construction materials into space with great accuracy. Several mass driver sites were laid out across the SPCM and construction of these guns followed shortly thereafter.

Another major construction project was for the foundation of a space elevator on the outskirts of the Shanghai megalopolis. Although the project looked to be large and costly, it seemed the only option for easy transport of people and precious cargo to outer space. For now, the SPCM would put money into this, until a viable alternative turned up.

Alongside this, three massive underwater tunnels were planned throughout the SPCM in order to better connect the Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market through high-speed rail systems. Although each country and mainland already had extensive infrastructure, these systems were largely unconnected. These tunnels planned to connect the high-speed rails systems, along with other modes of infrastructure to decrease transportation costs while traveling around earth.

The first tunnel was to be constructed between Japan and the Korean Peninsula, using Tsushima Island as the halfway point. This would connect the Japanese business sector with the mainland industry and resources. The second tunnel was to be laid out from the northwestern point of Taiwan to the mainland. Over time, Taiwan had turned into a highly valuable island, known for its maritime industry and business sectors. The third tunnel was to be laid out between Papua New Guinea and the northern point of the Queensland province. Further plans to eventually connect the entire SPCM are in the making, but funding and actual construction has only been provided for these three tunnels. 

Outer Domestic (Everything Else)
With the 'invention' and use of the new mass driver guns, construction on the space-shipyards moved ahead of schedule. Construction was now moving around the clock, as there was literally no shortage of materials, only a lack of manpower and time.

As the mass drivers came into play, and the costs of getting materials into space plummeted, plans for another space station were planned. While the first space station was designed to be a shipyard, this space station would actually be focused on supporting people and business. This was designed to be in a geosynchronous orbit over Shanghai, far enough away from the shipyards that a collision was virtually impossible, but close enough to the space elevator to make travel between the two easy and accessible.

Foreign Relations
The SPCM continued to negotiate with the SAEF for closer economic friendship. Along with a demilitarized border, the SPCM proposed more relaxed limits on the borders to make travel between the two unions easier. The SPCM's argument was that relaxed borders would stimulate trade between the two and be beneficial for both unions.

At the same time, the SPCM sent out feelers to their north, the NEEZ. They wished to seek greater cooperation between the two communities. The SPCM proposed a lowering of tariffs to foster economic growth between the two.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2011, 05:56:50 pm »
Do the NEEZ even have access to a space "elevator-able" site? Just a question while I write up a reply to Josasa.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2011, 05:58:37 pm »
I was actually thinking that could be a negotiating point between the two.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2011, 05:59:18 pm »
I was considering that as well, which is why I asked Clarke.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2011, 06:02:37 pm »
Nope.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2011, 06:08:11 pm »

Prime Minister Dakistov was pleased that the SPCM were already willing to work with the NEEZ. The SPCM, mainly its member state of China, had long had generally good relations with Russia, whom dominated the SPCM, and might as well have its borders redefined as including all of the NEEZ, but Dakistov avoided that, considering possible fears of a new Soviet Union.

He immediately replied that such cooperation would be a greatly productive action, and that increasing the economic ties between the NEEZ and SPCM would be fantastic. Dakistov also offered to form something of an alliance with the SPCM, wherein the NEEZ would prioritize materials to the SPCM, while the SPCM would provide access to their space initiatives(eventually their space elevator once Russia pushed into space as well) and perhaps some technology or assistance with Russia's underfunded program.

In Dakistov's mind, the two were perfect. One, the soon-to-be economical powerhouse of scarce resources, and the other, the intelligent builder who pushed the edge forward. There was also the idea in Dakistov's mind of a world that would think twice when it came to messing with a powerful NEEZ-SPCM alliance. Indeed, such might could make other federations tremble.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2011, 06:24:00 pm »

Foreign Relations

The SPCM was pleased with the acceptance of the NEEZ acceptance of the proposal. Because of the promptness and willingness shown towards diplomacy, the SPCM proposed the formation of an economic union between the two. This union would be based on mutual benefit, with demilitarized borders, lowered tariffs, less restriction on border crossings, and an overall greater harmony between the two economic giants. The SPCM proposed that this union be called the Eurasian-Pacific Union, or EPU for short.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2011, 06:41:17 pm »
NAFTA

Research space travel more, specifically in the areas of life-support, inter-ship battle and thrusting systems. Also begins researching towards controlling the formation of Warp Holes between two regions.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2011, 06:49:01 pm »

Foreign Relations

Dakistov and the SPCM leader shook hands for the cameras to seal the deal for the public, Dakistov smiling and chatting with the SPCM leader, and looking his best for the viewers around the world. In the SPCM, Dakistov gave a short speech he'd written up for the occasion, as cameras and Internet feeds relayed his words and image to the farthest points on the globe, "Today marks the beginning of a long and fruitful partnership between the North Eurasian Economic Zone and the Sino-Pacific Cooperative Market. Let there be no barriers between our two great Federations, no conflicts, no arms, or space, races, for as long as our two Federations shall exist! Let our two great Federations cooperate on all important matters, political or economic in nature! Let us all thrive in the growth and peace of fair and open trade between our two great Federations, and may our shared prosperity extend itself to the stars themselves! Let today be forever known as the day that the NEEZ and SPCM saw beyond what few and petty quarrels they had, and came together to reach into the heavens! Let today be known as Eurasian-Pacific Unification Day! I thank the Pacific peoples, and may all our Gods bless this Union!"

Dakistov was ecstatic that day. In only a few short weeks, he'd set the NEEZ on the path to economic glory, internal strength, and now had a partner Federation to work closely with. He was quickly becoming an historic Prime Minister. He told the SPCM they could call him at any time, to discuss matters or make plans, etc.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »
I'm pretty much absolutely certain worm holes are too fast, Badger.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2011, 07:57:16 pm »
Are all the nations taken up yet?
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 08:27:59 pm »
I'm pretty much absolutely certain worm holes are too fast, Badger.
Hence the word research Raz.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 08:30:08 pm »
It's still pointless, Badger. We don't have the physics for basic FTL, let alone an idea of how to properly pull off worm hole travel. You'd be sinking money into a useless pit.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2011, 08:37:51 pm »
Well I am America so.   :-\
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2011, 01:30:44 am »
How long is a turn?

Or rather, when will we get an update?

Oh yeah, and send more people to the Moon, to help with the Space Elevator construction. And lay down plans for a dark-side observatory.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2011, 01:10:49 pm »
If you were interested, you would've posted asking why you weren't in the first list of players.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2011, 04:22:00 pm »
How long is a turn?
Or rather, when will we get an update?
Oh yeah, and send more people to the Moon, to help with the Space Elevator construction. And lay down plans for a dark-side observatory.

I think that Clarke won't be updating, but just regulating if we move too fast. Otherwise, we are just free to post.

Inner Domestic
Construction on the major projects within the SPCM continued unabated. Digging for the tunnels had started in 8 different locations. The entryways in Japan, Korea, two on Tsushima Island, Mainland China, Taiwan, Australia, and Papua New Guinea were all underway as the plans called for them to meet in the center. If things continued to plan, the tunnel between Korea and Tsushima Island would finish first, followed by the tunnel onwards to Japan. Taiwan would be finished next, and then the tunnel between Australia and Papua New Guinea last. Connections to the infrastructure already in place were being prepared so that these tunnels could go into use as soon as possible.

The mass driver launchers had been fully constructed and supplies were constantly flowing into orbit to be used in the construction of the space stations.

The Space Elevator was actually ahead of schedule, as the deal between the NEEZ and the SPCM increased funding from private investors, while also opening up the markets between the two economic giants. Resources from the NEEZ were flowing in, boosting construction on the massive structure. At this point in time, it was already nearing several stories high, which was a good sign. The base of the structure had been designed to be a massive circle, rooted firmly and securely in the ground. Eight massive columns of interwoven carbon nanotubes were the basis around which the whole elevator would be supported.

One of the concerns with the Space Elevator was the amount of time required to go from the surface of the earth into outer space. But SPCM scientists felt they may have taken care of that issue. Each cargo module, of which there would be two, would be accelerated at a bearable speed for humans. Following this, scramjets would eventually kick in, launching the module of speeds up to Mach 20. This would last as long as there was atmosphere. After this, the mag-lev would take over, carrying the module the remainder of the distance to the space station. Even this would be at a quick speed, reaching that of almost 500 mph.

Outer Domestic
Construction on the shipyard continued as planned thanks to the constant flow of materials. The design of this shipyard was similar to that of an unfolding popcorn kernel. There would be a center from which three massive equidistant arms would stretch away from earth. Seven smaller arms would stretch from each of these three arms, creating a center that would almost be surrounded. Stretching around practically all of this would be carbon nets to keep in loose materials or an errant shipbuilder who had somehow drifted free. Ships would be built on the inside and then ejected out, away from earth and into space.

The shipyard itself had completed the center of the station along with one of the main three arms. Two of the arms were waiting to be built along with all 21 of the smaller arms. Following this, the netting would have to be installed along with some other finishing touches before the shipyard could be called complete.

Construction on the civilian space station stayed on track as well. Originally designs had been to have this separate from the space elevator, but after some consideration and redrawing, this station was planned to act as the counterweight. In this way, the station would act as a population center, a business center, a hotel, and an overall transportation hub to space from earth. Because it appeared that no one else was putting funding towards space elevators, it appeared that the SPCM would have a monopoly on easy travel into space for some time before others caught up. In the meantime, the SPCM could exploit that advantage to their benefit.

Foreign Relations
The SPCM was happy with the alliance worked out with the NEEZ. At the same time, they were hoping that the SAEF would eventually agree to similar terms. Perhaps, in the future, the SAEF could even join the EPU to secure the SPCM's borders in a large way.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:10 pm »
I think that Clarke won't be updating, but just regulating if we move too fast. Otherwise, we are just free to post.
Exactly.

Oh, and don't be intimidated by Josasa's posts. They don't have to be anywhere near that size.

He's just exceptional. :D

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2011, 04:18:15 pm »
But he does have to give commands for the NPCs federations? So it's sorta like updating.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2011, 05:05:48 pm »
I apologize Watcher, I only realized now that you weren't a native speaker. You can have the SAEF if you're still interested.

As for Badger, please start posting plausible stuff from now on.

Are you still interested in this, Doctor Z?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2011, 05:21:26 pm »

Domestic

The cooperation of the NEEZ and SPCM was yielding great benefits for the economic rebirth of the NEEZ. The Strong Motherland Plan was working better than expected, and the economy was seriously shifting into high gear. Unemployment was dropping, poverty was dropping, the middle class was growing, GDP was growing steadily, crop yields were higher than ever, and fewer people were starving, among many other effects.

It was at this point that Dakistov shifted the military from the borders, and set them to primarily work on building up the infrastructure of the NEEZ, to help the civilians. Every day, new, modern rails and roads were criss-crossing Siberia and other parts of Russia, creating more and more zones of economic growth. Tiny Siberian villages were quickly growing into towns, in what was beginning to be known as the "Great Siberian Migration." The migration was not only creating more mining and manufacturing jobs in once-desolate areas, but it was relieving pressure on the highly urbanized cities as people left.

Moving once more, Dakistov convinced the individual member states of the NEEZ to unanimously vote for consolidation into a single massive nation, reminiscent of the Soviet Union. This new nation became known as "Greater Russia." Dakistov no longer felt the other federations would do anything in reply to this consolidation, and quickly established a number of organizations to benefit all newly Russian citizens, chiefly the National Russian Health Service, the National Russian Education Service, and the National Russian Training Service. These three focused on the betterment of health, education, and job skills of all Russian citizens, with an emphasis on training the next generation to contain far more scientists and engineers and other professions necessary for the domination of space.

Foreign

Greater Russia and Dakistov sent a large number of workers, engineers, and scientists, along with refined materials and construction vehicles, to the construction site outside Shanghai. The intended goal was to further increase the pace as which the Elevator was constructed, as the sooner it was finished, the sooner both nations/federations would begin exerting space supremacy.

Foreign Relations

Dakistov courted both the SAEF and the PAEU to look into their interests in aligning themselves with the newly-formed Greater Russia. To the SAEF, Dakistov offered a joining of the EPU, and to the PAEU, he offered assistance to help develop their lands, while casually and quietly hinting at a coordinated strike against the Arabs. To secure the SAEF would secure much of the SPCM, which would serve as the core of the EPU, and the host for the Space Elevator, of course. With the SAEF as a part of the EPU, and coordination with the PAEU, Dakistov considered that their combined forces would be able to blitz and annihilate the Arabs within weeks or months. Besides, ever since oil stopped being the blood of economies, the Arabs had lost their previous power and clout with the Western world. Undoubtedly though, the Westerners would notice the combined Russian-Asian-African force ripping apart the Arabs, and begin to reconsider their own safety.

However, Dakistov kept most of these ideas to himself and his top generals. No need to let theories drift out and alarm the Westerners against something the Russians didn't plan on doing.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2011, 01:39:39 pm »

Inner Domestic
Reduced tariffs and all around cooperation between the SPCM and the NEEZ through the EPU were producing great results. Companies within the SPCM saw the emerging industrial benefits within the NEEZ and were heavily investing in the mining operations and factories that were turning up throughout the economic zone. At the same time, reduced costs from plentiful resources were boosting company revenue allowing them to invest more. It was truly a positive feedback cycle.

This translated to even further progress on the space elevator, especially thanks to the help of workers from the NEEZ. The foundation of the space elevator had been completed and was firmly rooted into the ground. Along with this, the carbon nanotube columns were now the tallest structure in the area, nearing record heights.

Elsewhere throughout the SPCM, the four elevator cars were under construction. They were not overly large, but they did require expensive parts and precise assembly. The number four had been chosen after much thought for efficiency and support. Each car would be wrapped around two of the columns each, providing plenty of support for whatever the cargo was. At the same time, up to four cars could be running on the space elevator itself, meaning that cargo wouldn't have to wait for the car to go all the way up and then all the way down. If things ran according to schedule, there would be a car on the ground at almost all times.

Outer Domestic
The space stations were well under construction. Work on the other two arms of the space shipyard was underway. Each were roughly half way done, as most of the structure was in place. Work just needed to be done on the actual insides of the arms along with the smaller structures that would eventually stem off of these arms.

The counterweight/population station was a work in progress as well. For the moment, the engineers were focusing on completing the skeleton of the structure. This way, if the space elevator got way ahead of schedule, the population station could still act as an effective counterweight. Other than that, the station was already able to support all of the construction crew working on the station and then some. High ranking members of the SPCM were visiting the station at regular intervals, taking tours of the station as it slowly expanded from level to level. Premier Yamato had even visited the station.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2011, 08:30:27 pm »
I'd like to funnel research into rocketry and life support and begin construction of a starport in the Great Plains.
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2011, 09:00:27 pm »
Greater Russia

Domestic

Things were going swimmingly, and with the additional efforts of the SPCM investors, the untapped resource of Greater Russia were really beginning to be exploited fully. Factories, mines, farms, were sprouting up everywhere. One of the private Russian companies even developed a robot that could lay rail like nobody's business, and these machines greatly accelerated the rate at which Greater Russia became more interconnected.

With the economy booming, Dakistov bolstered the government's role further, increasing military spending and recruitment quotas as well as military contracts, and taking some more funding from the economic stimulation and applying it to researching space vessels, armor, and armament. Dakistov's top generals toyed with the idea of a massive global network of military satellites, conveniently disguised until the network was finished, that would be able to deny any other Federation, besides the SPCM, access to space, the UN be damned. Greater Russian could potentially establish a quarantine around Earth, forcing the other Federations to bargain with itself and the SPCM for elevator space, and allowing the two to charge the others exorbitant rates.

However, Dakistov remained quiet about all these ideas being thrown around among the top brass and many of his cabinet, choosing to explain the military buildup as training more soldiers who can offer to help industrialize Siberia and other lands. Very subtly though, border control was tightened with all Federations besides the SPCM.

Foreign

Things were quiet on the diplomatic front, with Greater Russia continuing to lend workers and supplies to the SPCM elevator. Some political analysts suggested dire futures though, once Russia had become a supermassive economic force, and a military power to be reckoned with, if it achieved these two statuses. They considered the strength of the Eurasian-Pacific Union, and whether or not it could rally the two Federations to go to war, or decide together how to deal with the world, especially if the other Federations seemed to remain so sluggish lately.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 04:12:11 pm »
Whether Israel should forsake it's European contacts in favor of joining the LAAS has long been a point of debate amongst the people of the nation. Recently, however, the public opinion has shifted toward secession as the European Union is being seen as dormant, unable to catch up with modern trends. A landslide vote has prompted the nation to join the LAAS. Inspired by this move, Suriname and French Guinea secede and join the FSAS. Finland, Poland, and the Czech Republic, swayed by the economic developments in the NEEZ, petition the union to accept them. The European Union, in response, has begun the construction of a space elevator on the island of Sao Tome.

The PAEU has begun construction of an elevator based on the mountain of Ngaliema. A colony has been launched toward the Shackleton Crater on the moon, located near the south pole where shaded areas have large accumulations of ice, and some mountains are in constant light. A flags-and-footprints mission is sent to Mars near Arsia Mons, where many suspect there to be a large accumulation of lava tube caves which could be sealed off and inhabited.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 06:00:32 pm »
Greater Russia

Domestic

The economy continued to boom, and Greater Russia was unperturbed by the other Federation's efforts in space. If things went according to plan, these efforts would be for nothing. Already, the European Union was splintering in the wake of Russia's growing power. Unemployment had stabilized, mostly as a result of the growth of the number of collegiate students, as well as the new schools offering job skills training to the uneducated and homeless.

People were becoming healthier, and thus working harder, through the assistance offered by the NRHS. The homeless had, in almost their entirety, been plucked off the street, and evaluated for their usefulness. The insane ones were sent to mental health care facilities, the elderly were encouraged to work in some way, and the able bodies were transferred into the job training schools. Homelessness in Greater Russia had practically become illegal, as anyone discovered in this condition was immediately absorbed into the system.

Drop-out rates for secondary school dropped to a twentieth of what they had previously been, as the NRES labeled such an action as "Absolutely Unacceptable," and "Utterly Anti-Patriotic." Anyone not willing to at least make it through secondary school was heavily reprimanded by the government of Greater Russia, and involuntarily absorbed into the technical schools. To be unemployed was practically as illegal as being homeless, except in the cases of the retired elderly, who were provided for enough to live a comfortable existence until their eventual death if they had no surviving offspring whom wanted them, and those listed as registered students.

Within the new member states, the various Russian systems quickly usurped or assimilated most of the government there, leaving behind a skeleton government that was defined as that state's primary government; the executives and legislators and whatnot, whom had little power anyway. Unlike the previously separate and semi-independent states of the old NEEZ, these new states were left with some small amount of power, to keep their masses appeased. Greater Russia was expanding its control without using its armies, which simply advanced forward to the new borders, parading through the newly acquired cities, sending a very real message that Russia was here to stay, here to help, and here to defend them.

Progress was being made on the designs for the military applications of space vessels, and results were appearing from the almost-forgotten asteroid mining project, all of which were producing realistic blue prints and timetables for deployment. The first prototype military satellite armed with basic projectile weaponry was assembled, and ground-based testing began immediately. Of course, all of this was kept top-secret and as quiet as possible, in the hope that the UN would be completely unaware of Russia's tests.

Propaganda campaigns were initiated to strengthen the fortitude of Russian citizens, and separate campaigns were created to convince the newest citizens from Poland, Finland, and the Czech Republic that they had made the right choice in joining Greater Russia. Perhaps the most effective propaganda was, however, the quick appearance of Russian workers within these three new states, who began reinforcing and rebuilding infrastructure, setting up NRHS, NRES, and NRTS offices in every city, and registering all of these new citizens to vote in the Greater Russian elections. The latter was particularly important, as the Russians waited to see what parties and people the Poles, Finns, and Czechs would vote for. Dakistov himself was rather certain to be re-elected, but this next term would be his constitutional last. He looked forward to this term, and making it far superior in greatness than even his first.

Foreign

The acceptance and acquisition of Poland, Finland, and the Czech Republic only added to the success of Russia, whom decided the time had come to end the overly-friendly trade it had been having with Federations other than the SPCM. Dakistov raised tariffs slightly against these Federations, more so against the European Union, and less so against the PAEU and FSAS. The European Union was almost unanimously viewed among Dakistov's top generals as Russia's first target, with the LAAS not far behind. The generals, with the approval of Dakistov himself,  drew up plans for precision strikes against the other Federation's space elevators in case such plans should ever become required.

Along with these, plans for a massive blitz against the LAAS and EU were drawn up. Russia, however, didn't want to control all of the LAAS, merely Turkey and northern Iran. The former was particularly important in that it controlled one side of the Bosphorus and Dardanelles Straits, both of which were keys to shipping between the Mediterranean and Black Sea as well as moving the Russian Navy between the Seas, and the latter was important in that it was the only border the LAAS had with the Caspian Sea. Thus, controlling Turkey would cement Russia's hold on the Black Sea, and controlling northern Iran would mean dominance of the Caspian Sea along with what remained of its oil resources.

As for the EU, most all of the countries in it were nations to be coveted, Germany especially. Eastern Europe, though still not near as developed as the West, was still valuable nonetheless, particularly for its borders with the Mediterranean and proximity to Greater Russia. With Poland now Russian, Greater Russia also held a very strong, long border with Germany, making a blitz of that key nation all the more viable. Finland also allowed for a blitz of Norway and Sweden, with obvious advantages to having a connection to the North Sea, and further solidifying Russia's hold on the Baltic. Denmark of course would be the key to total dominance of the Baltic. Though Greater Russia looked on most of West Europe with envy, it could not deny that holding such land in addition to its closest acquisitions would be too difficult, especially England.

All these idea, however, remained mere plans and ideas in the minds of the generals and Dakistov.

In actuality, Greater Russia presented the option to join Russia to Germany, Norway, Sweden, all of conventional Eastern Europe including Greece, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Italy. The focus with those states still aligned with the European Union was that they would be far, far better off if they aligned themselves with the might of the EPU and the growing economic superpower that was Greater Russia, as opposed to the stagnant EU. Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, and Pakistan were given a similar option, to disconnect themselves from the pitiful Arabs, and connect themselves to the Eurasian-Pacific powers. All were offered economic assistance, in the same way that Poland, Finland, and the Czech Republic were receiving aid. The ultimate advantage for them though would be the lack of tariffs with Greater Russia, which would obviously create booms in their own economies.

Russia also once more turned its attention to the SAEF, slightly frustrated that they hadn't responded, and began to lay severe pressure on the Federation to join the Eurasian-Pacific Union. In the event the entire Federation would not join, Russia also courted India for admittance to Greater Russia, the defining power of the SAEF. Without India, Russia reckoned, the SAEF could be almost totally ignored.

Russia quietly hoped these nations would be much better off under Russian control, instead of their respective and pitiful Federations' control.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 09:33:29 pm »

Inner Domestic
The tunnels between Korea, Tsushima Island, and Japan were nearing connection and the tunneling equipment and crews went into overdrive as they raced to beat expectations. As a way to inspire each of the crews to work harder, there were constant updates throughout the SPCM informing the different tunnel crews of who was covering the most distance in the least amount of time. Everyone knew that the Korea-Japan tunnel would finish first because it covered a shorter distance, but to be able to have bragging rights about covering the most distance in the shortest amount of time instilled crew members to go the extra mile.

The space elevator had officially become the tallest structure in the world, thanks to the crews from both the NEEZ and the SPCM. Since the focus was now on laying down the carbon towers, the work was relatively easy. The design supported itself to a certain height, which the columns were beginning to reach. But this was all according to plan, and because of the progress on the counterweight in orbit, a schedule was setup. Within the next couple of weeks, a temporary spindle would be stretched from orbit to the top of the elevator to begin pulling the structure 'up' rather than relying on its own structural integrity. The engineers had worked it out, and the general construction rate of both the space elevator and the population space station were such that the weight of the station would steadily increase to support the growing length of the space elevator. Things were going well with the space elevator.

On the research side of thing, the government shifted its funding to focus on transportation. Premier Yamato and his group of advisers agreed that with the completion of the basic structures such as the space elevator, the population space station, and the shipyard, the SPCM had established itself to easily move between earth and outer space itself. With costs reduced, it would allow private SPCM industries to move in and pick up the costs of running operations out in space. Until then, research needed to be conducted in the protection of SPCM interests, specifically those that they were currently working on. Giant grants focused on funding research of space weapons were established. The engineers had already designed several weaponized forms of the mass drivers used to launch materials in space. The SPCM was looking for an energy based weapon.

Alongside this, funding was pushed towards engineering designs for military spaceships. These were ships designed specifically to orbit and complete the jumps between planets while being generally self-sufficient. Most of the designs called for large platforms which currently couldn't be constructed due to limited facilities. But with the completion of the shipyards, the SPCM would be able to construct much larger ships than the other federations, which were limited by the weight of the ship and its inability to escape earth's gravity. Because the shipyard was located outside this grasp, the SPCM would be able to construct ships of much greater size.

One of the trends noticed within SPCM colleges was the fact that increasing numbers of students were signing up for or switching over to engineering and science fields. Formerly, the SPCM had been known for its business graduates which normally went into one of the many SPCM mega-corporations. But with the increase in government grants to research and engineering firms, along with the promise of further expansion into space, the science and engineering fields were looking more and more promising. More jobs were being created with this in mind as the SPCM planned to step further and further into space. Within the next couple of years, the SPCM was expected to have a boom of graduates within these areas, something it was looking forward with great expectations.

Outer Domestic
The counterweight/population space station, as mentioned before, was being worked on to stretch a temporary cable that could support the weight of the growing space elevator. Besides this, almost all of the skeleton had been completed, but the sheer size of the structure made it a tough job. At the same time, the living compartments and business areas were being fitted into place and worked on. Because the station already had enough room to support the entire workforce, construction was focusing on building the large terrarium that was going to make up the center of the space station. This would act as both a major producer of oxygen, and food produce. Once the full hydroponics system was installed, it was hoped that this large park would be able to support 50% of the population of the space station. This would be quite a feat, as the SPCM was hoping to have anywhere between 1,000 to 2,000 people living and working on the space station at any one time, not to mention the numerous people using this as the transportation hub between earth and orbit.

The shipyards, on the other hand, had jumped ahead of schedule. Not only had all of the three main arms been completed, but so had the seven smaller arms on each of these. Now the only thing that had to be done for the shipyard to be fully functional was continuing work on the insides of the station along with the placement of the station-wide carbon net that would create almost a cocoon-like film around the outside of the popcorn-like structure. Already, shipbuilding machines and tools were being launched into space and installed throughout the station as needed. As the crew quarters within the station were being completed, more and more shipbuilders were arriving at the shipyard and preparing themselves to build the first major space-faring ship.

Foreign
The SPCM was waiting for the response from the SAEF as well, but at the same time, was wary of the NEEZ as it sought to acquire India. For all intents and purposes, the SPCM had been trying for the same thing with the economic freedom established between the two unions from the very beginning. But that wasn't the only concern. While the SPCM and the NEEZ were allies, that didn't make the SPCM feel comfortable with the fact that there was a possibility the NEEZ would be both north and south of them. Being surrounded, no matter the situation, was not a good thing.

Because of this, the SPCM also began to send out feelers of possible absorption into the EPU, but under SPCM jurisdiction. These focused on India, but were also sent out to the rest of the SAEF nations, as the SPCM shared many borders with them. The SPCM hoped that the recent reduction of tariffs, along with the connections between the two unions and the close cultural ties which stretched back ages, would bring the two unions closer together, if not unifying them. Indonesia was also key, as they were one of the major points concerning the high-speed rail plans that were currently underway.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2011, 02:22:25 pm »
>.>;

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2011, 02:36:37 pm »
Clarke, would you mind a once a day update? Sometimes I feel like I need to hold myself back, but I'm not sure what you want.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »
I'm not going to participate by the way, just watch.

You complain about not being admitted, then once admitted, you don't do anything. Really? Really? You're just giving everyone more reason to ignore you, Watcher, and proving what many of us think you might be like.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2011, 04:19:02 pm »
(Last chance, Dr. Z. It would also be nice if you guys could post more, Haseri and Badger.)

The SAEF is feeling threatened by it's two neighbors, and moves to make closer ties with the middle east. It releases a statement that makes it clear that full autonomy will be maintained. Construction of a space elevator is starting in eastern Borneo, while a moon colony is planned.

The European Union and Pan-African Economic Union both continue their current works. Pan-African diplomats are sent to Russia to discuss military cooperation.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2011, 06:06:30 pm »
No word on Russia's courting of other nations?

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2011, 01:38:12 am »
Honestly, I have nothing. It just doesn't feel like I'm doing anything without at least semi-regular updates.

Maybe NESes from CivFanatics have conditioned me to think so.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2011, 05:04:14 am »
I'll be updating every day now, anyways.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2011, 08:33:41 am »
No he didn't. >.>

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2011, 02:54:50 pm »
Both myself and Josasa are attempting to absorb you. If not, we'll probably kill and assimilate you. Clarke's not letting those states join me currently for some reason. Their owners are basically dead anyway.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2011, 09:25:20 pm »
Greater Russia

Domestic

Greater Russia was booming like the old Chinese on crack. The people were motivated, healthier, and harder working than ever. Stories of success were spreading like a plague throughout Russia, which prompted Dakistov to give funds to an up-and-coming film producer to show how amazing Russia had become. The film featured many once-homeless or downtrodden people being interviewed, and explaining how they'd been taken off the streets, sheltered, given food and water, and taught valuable skills. Now, most of them were relatively skilled workers, and becoming more skilled every day. Other interviewees, who had been rejected from the pre-NRHS hospitals because of financial issues, were accepted and testified that they paid hardly anything, and received treatment that saved their lives. A few were even those citizens of the new members of Greater Russia, Poles, Finns, and Czechs talking about things were improving at the speed of lightning. This film, named "Greater Russia: The NEW Land of Opportunity," was quickly distributed across the globe in an effort to drum up Russian support.

With the economy having turned into a snowball, Dakistov turned much of the military from inward affairs to helping build infrastructure in the new member states, along with improving the worst pre-Russian member states. Siberia had become criss-crossed by a network of mines, factories, lumber harvesters, roads, rails, and towns. With Siberia improving of its own momentum, special attention was paid to the more impoverished regions.

While the infrastructure construction explosion continued, Dakistov realigned the budget once more, putting more money in space technologies including military applications, as well as exotic sciences and unconventional forms of reaching space, as well as more money into the general military.

Research on military applications of space technology was really beginning to pay off, as Russian engineers designed realistic kinetic-energy, "Rods from God" military satellites. Entirely legal in terms of UN law concerning outer space activities, these satellite designs and prototypes were generally not mentioned, except in a very obscure fashion, to the regular UN observers. There was no presence of weapons on Luna, nor were any thermonuclear warheads to be placed on the satellites. Russian military contractors quickly set about building dozens of these satellites, with Dakistov asking the SPCM to allow Greater Russia temporary access to some elevator shipments over the next months and years to deploy these "satellites," unnamed in any other way.

Research on mining asteroids was significantly downsized, as no more progress could be made until suitable transports could be designed. Money was thus pulled from the designs of asteroid mining, and added to the budget of the general Russian space program.

With the increased spending on the military, it grew much larger, encompassing far more infantry, tanks, planes, etc. Most notable was the increase in the number of hypersonic stealth air-superiority fighters, an amount which almost doubled, and hypersonic stealth bombers, which increased just under the fighters. Military contractors were churning out hardware within Russia. Greater Russia's nuclear missile systems were also brought completely back online, reasoned once more to serve as a "deterrent" to the other Federations.

Foreign

Very quietly, Russian military officials and ambassadors welcomed the Pan-African diplomats, and were very eager to discuss cooperation on more than just military issues. Dakistov himself eventually attended one of the meetings, and was recorded as stating, "Pan-Africa and Greater Russia share a number of commonalities. Russia was once lagging behind the other Federations, and has now come to forefront, along with the SPCM. Russia contained a great trove of untapped natural resources, and has moved to exploit these. Russia was once downtrodden upon by the West.

"Pan-Africa has the same potential as we had. Your lands contain many resources, untapped. Pan-Africa continues to resemble a hot Siberia; lacking in major infrastructure in many areas. Pan-Africa has always been stomped by the West. Though our cultures may be different, we have experiences many of the same conditions. In Pan-Africa, I see enormous, massive potential. We can help to develop your lands; become trading partners; form an alliance. Together, Pan-Africa and Greater Russia, along with our Pacific allies, can become the single greatest alliance in the history of Mankind. You, my future friends, need only take that first leap. Join us, and the rewards will be unimaginable. Thank you, and may your people forever prosper. We await your decision."

Greater Russia continued to pressure its target nations, seeking to rend them from the other Federations. Pro-Russian propaganda spread throughout the nearby Federations, concentrated in those currently key states that Dakistov so vehemently sought. However, Russia changed its game plan with the Arabs slightly, redoubling its efforts, and pressuring Turkey, all of Iran, Pakistan, and Afghanistan. These last two, previously ignored, would be crucial to boxing in the highly resistant SAEF.

As the SAEF declared their resoluteness to remain independent, Russia withdrew its searching tendrils from the Federation, and immediately classified the Federation as a possible target, which lead to their interest in Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Finally, Dakistov transferred a number of purely theoretical military plans to Yamato. The first was titled "Operation Indian Typhoon," and detailed a combined Eurasian-Pacific blitz of the SAEF, ideally with most of the forces being Pacific in nature, with most of the action concerning mainland SAEF, primarily India. It states that the neutralization of India would be paramount to breaking the spine of the SAEF. Without India, the puny islands of the SAEF would be negligible. Upon victory, the plan also stated that all spoils and territory would go to the SPCM.

The second was titled "Operation Waxing Crescent," and detailed a possible combined African-Eurasian blitz of the Arabs. Pan-Africa would sweep upwards into Northern Africa, and Russia would push through Turkey, Afghanistan, and then Pakistan. From there, it would commit a massive coordinated attack on the main Middle East on three fronts.

The third, final, and currently most unlikely, was titled "Operation Broken Europe." This plan called for a blitz of the European Union, focusing on the lands east of France. Russian armies would advance and occupy Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Germany, and Italy, in accordance with the generals' thoughts that control of West Europe would be unstable and unlikely to survive for too long a period of time.

All three Operations included scenarios in the event of NAFTA or FSAS intervention, which was likely. However, the Russian re-activation of its nuclear facilities was cited as one reason for NAFTA and FSAS to keep their noses out of the Russian-Pacific-African business. If it became obvious that NAFTA or the FSAS planned to intervene, the plans merely stated that Russia maintained a hidden ace that could be revealed, assuming these Operations were committed a year or two after their creation. All three also stated that the expanded Russian-Pacific domination of space would only make these Operations that much easier, and that the more time that was given to allow the space facilities to grow would greatly pay off in any war.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2011, 10:49:21 pm »
So... World War 3?

Also, if you don't have it already, shouldn't you research into commercial supersonic transport? You have a pretty big nation and having something like that would be pretty useful in my mind.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2011, 10:48:46 am »
They're just plans, and flying supersonic transport is very unlikely and probably cost prohibitive. Perhaps the next turn, I'll start laying down bullet train magnetic rails.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2011, 06:25:42 pm »

Inner Domestic
Thanks to advances in digging technology, the tunnels proceeded much faster than similar projects back at the beginning of the 21st century. Tsushima Island was getting closer and closer to be connected to both Korea and Japan. It was only a matter of weeks before there would be the breakthrough, at which point the workers would hurry to lay down the high-speed rail systems so as to get the rail system up and running. Projections for improved transport of goods showed that the high-speed rails would cut heavy-weight transport times down to 10% of their regular time. For the longest time, the SPCM had always been known for its merchant marine fleet, due to the many islands that fell under its jurisdiction. Now, with these rail systems, the SPCM was expecting a small boom in production.

The space elevator continued construction, now reaching miles into the sky. The thread had been strung from the top of the tower to the population station in orbit, giving it the basis of the couterweight to keep the structure upright. Everything was going according to plan.

Research into military applications for space ships continued unabated. In fact, the SPCM was investing more and more money into these attempts at gaining some security. Engineers were being tasked at designing a major space ship, which was to begun construction as soon as the orbital shipyard was completed. This ship was planned to have a purely military application. It would have a fusion reactor of its own to power everything onboard, once completed it would have the largest mass-driver constructed by man to date, and it would be able to travel between the planets, giving the SPCM the ability to project an influence anywhere they pleased within the solar system. It was planned that this ship would have almost 500 crew members at any given time.

Outer Domestic
Premier Yamato had been awaiting this moment for some time. He had watched the SPCM work towards creating a stronger, more permanent presence in space. And now that the orbital shipyard was completed, the SPCM was that much closer to keeping their foot in the doorway to outer space.

Surrounding him were various newscasters, cameramen, politicians, advisers, and the workers based on the orbital shipyard. It was a time of celebration and everyone was smiling as they knew the implications of this event.

"Without further ado, I hereby christen this station the Zheng He!"

The large assembly hall within the Zheng He resounded with cheers and yells as everyone broke into applause. Down on earth, the people of the SPCM were watching from their homes, no doubt celebrating themselves at their union's successful venture.

Almost immediately, work began on the construction of the military ship.

Foreign
There had been much talk between the SPCM and the NEEZ. Their intentions were not obvious, but at the same time they were not hard to figure out. Because of this, cooperation between the two, especially between their military leaders, had reached a new level. The largest concern for the SPCM was the SAEF. Their geographical position neatly separated the SPCM in two. Australia was a valuable addition to the union, and the SAEF did a very good job of making it appear far away. And now that rail lines were being laid out to connect the union, the SAEF appeared to be more and more in the way. Plans were being drawn up in case of an outbreak of war.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2011, 01:32:35 pm »
Clarke has stated that this game is dead. Since he won't do it himself, I'm doing it now.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2011, 03:50:01 pm »
Clarke has stated that this game is dead. Since he won't do it himself, I'm doing it now.
Didn't give you permission for that, stop assuming. :I

Most of the blame for this crashing and burning rests on my shoulders; I took a format which was well known and common on a different forum, and assumed that it would work without me really explaining. I also really didn't put much effort to planning it out, I just kind of rushed ahead.

I'm locking this. Make your own if you want, I guess.