Author Topic: Addressing the godmoddish nature of space travel on the forum (and stuff)  (Read 1907 times)

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
      Well, I was looking back on the way that old RPs were conducted on the forum, and I noticed that a lot of the space travel on the forum seemed to be almost instantaneous, which seems to be a bit godmoddish to me. For example, on Star Trek, it was said that it would take years to reach the other side of the galaxy, and even on Star Wars, travel to the other side of the galaxy by conventional means still took hours at best. I think that in order to not only make it a bit more believable (as well as adding more layers to the storytelling and roleplaying) we have to take into account each race's warp or hyperspace or whatnot abilities, even if it's described as "a long time from a to b" it would add a bit more depth to the world.

Along with that, I want to say something about the way that people seem to highly reject the idea of using a galactic map. What i thought of was just describing the general location of your star system and then people just guesstimate distances story-wise from there.

Also, we need to lay off the technical sheets! :P

Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
First of all, only a few races had instananious travel.  Most did take some time.  Also, we're not crossing the whole galaxy.  One of the closest things we ever got to having a proper map showed that most races inhabit the same small region of the galaxie.

Even so, what's the problem with instanaious travel?  Yes, it is a problem if you're traveling straight from point A to point B, but most advanced races didn't do that.  They were at the point of making space move for them.  Either which way, I think you're making an issue of something that doesn't need to be made an issue of, like the people who demanded we have a detailed, centralized economy.

What I'm saying is the system has worked for the last 5 years.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
They were at the point of making space move for them.

uh, thats worse. when your at the stage of a reality warping demigod, anything below that is trivial.

(for the record, my Race's tech doesnt have FTL travel, taking thousands of years to go places)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:47:35 am by Crazen »
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
Sorry, I meant OUR era of Rps, if I didn't make it clear. It just seems to me reflecting on them that we'd played it out as getting to your destination right away, story-wise. Also, races started to spread out for a while there, being all over the galaxy.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
In the past, ships always traveled at the speed of plot, and it seemed to work well.  Whatever you do in your rp's is up to you.
Probably not a Goat, either.

gec05

I'm with Ink on this. But this may be a failure to pace your story than people trying to cheat logistics.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Handlung Uber Alles.