Author Topic: Civ4 - C2C Mod  (Read 38632 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Re: Civ4 - C2C Mod
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 06:41:48 pm »
I also think that is a problem with vanilla Civ of any iteration. There are WAY too many buildings.

If you play on snail speed they are not so bad. However I would say to you the base game and many other mods have too few buildings.  ;)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 09:03:00 pm »
A few questions ...

1. What level of difficulty were you on?

2. What speed were you on?

3. What era did you start as?

Slower speeds, harder difficulty and prehistoric era should help if you did not already.

Also you got to remember its still being developed, so balance and stuff are not worked out yet. There are a LOT of factors and settings so it will be awhile until we get a nice polished game.

I was just playing chieftain to see how things were, but I was on an island with just one other civ who I was going to crush eventually anyway. I always play Marathon as well, and I think it might've been Ancient or something, I thought it was unusual to have so many techs pre-researched. But judging from the tile yields even with just a bit of agriculture, either citizens need to eat even more or the yields need to be scaled down or something. I bet population just explodes as time goes by, though that may be historical and all, but still.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 09:49:54 pm »
In short, it just feels like a bunch of haphazardly thrown together stuff that consists of "what else can we add?" rather than "what should we add?"

This brought to mind a quote from a game I used to play.

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
                                                                                                                                           - Antoine de Saint-Exupry

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 10:22:57 pm »
Engineering eh?

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 11:30:59 am »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."
                                                                                                                                           - Leonard Nimoy

There we go.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 06:39:51 pm »
In short, it just feels like a bunch of haphazardly thrown together stuff that consists of "what else can we add?" rather than "what should we add?"

This brought to mind a quote from a game I used to play.

I hate this quote since every civ player uses it to nag at us about too much stuff. Like is said we are about adding more not stripping away. If you want stripped away go play AND or RoM. They have taken a ton of stuff out to seek balance. We take the philosophy that more stuff can be added to balance things out. Or even tweaking things that already exist. If things are removed we have a good reason for it.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2011, 07:33:45 pm »
You've added a lot of stuff at the expense of quality, balance, and polish. Players are annoyed when a game is made in such a way. Anyway is annoyed when a product is made in such a way. That's just how it is.

edit - and it's a far better methodology to add the basics, get everything hammered down, add more, hammer it all done. A jigsaw puzzle is hardest when you don't take it step by step, getting all the edges put together, etc.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2011, 08:21:14 pm »
My golden rule: do it right before you do it better.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:04 am »
edit - and it's a far better methodology to add the basics, get everything hammered down, add more, hammer it all done. A jigsaw puzzle is hardest when you don't take it step by step, getting all the edges put together, etc.

Using you analogy, i am just trying to get all the pieces made first. Making it all is the hard part, balance and tweaking is the easy part. In short i want to gather all the pieces before sorting it out. If i can sort some as i go that's great, but I am never going to solve the puzzle with missing pieces. And sometimes i find out i have the wrong starting pieces and need to make/find better ones.

The other method just leaves you with a really nice put together corner of the puzzle with the other part of the puzzle missing or complete. Right now we have many clusters of the puzzle solved and we know what the puzzle should look like from the front of the box, its just a matter of finding all the lost pieces and sorting them out. Instead of trying to put together what we already have even if the pieces don't fit.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:16:50 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2011, 02:28:22 am »
Apparently you don't seem to understand just how difficult it is to achieve balance. :P

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2011, 09:34:35 am »
Just face it, Hydro. Your mod blows.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2011, 09:47:01 am »
So mean, Pat.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2011, 09:54:45 am »
You're the one who won't let up. And you're not going to like it even if he made every unreasonable change you demand. :P

Go play another mod.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2011, 10:01:08 am »
The hell's wrong with you? You really seem to have been acting strange.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2011, 10:02:03 am »
Look, whether you'll admit it or not, you've been dogging Hydro about his mod for days now.

Just let the guy do his thing. It's a neat mod and of all the people he knows, he's not going to change it for the likes of you. Leave him alone.