Author Topic: Gaming Journalism: You're a Horrible Person, Click here to find out why.  (Read 1435 times)

Offline /lurk

• Tetris Tumbler
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Journalism: You're a Horrible Person, Click here to find out why.
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2014, 02:38:11 pm »
It's scarier with the big publishers, but I haven't heard anybody complain about that.

Where have you been? We've been complaining about spa retreats and wraparound advertising for years.

Naturally, the same people are involved on the journalist's end.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • Dat klopt, ik was daar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 18, 2014, 02:45:23 pm »

So accountants could be corrupt but aren't, but game journalist can be corrupt so they probably are?
You have a financial interest in making your client appear good too.

No, stop putting words in my mouth. I'm saying accountants and gaming journalists and all professions can be corrupt; I was simply using my profession as an example due to personal familiarity. Hell, I even provided you an example of when an entire corrupt accounting firm were caught and the repercussions.

These game journalist are probably corrupt given the financial interest at stake, the hard facts provided, and their general reaction. Not everyone is corrupt, but people want accountability and disclosure.

But those strict rules are pretty interesting. Of course, there's far less money directly at stake with the indie developers this all started about. It's scarier with the big publishers, but I haven't heard anybody complain about that.
Whose strict rules? The ones you just made up out of thin air? Those aren't the rules, there aren't any rules to corruption, that's the whole idea.

I've always been under the impression since the Kane&Lynch GameSpot fiasco that big publisher game reviews from big media outlets are to be discarded. That's why people have been up in arms with YouTube content policies and such, they don't want valid criticism being taken down due to publisher complaint.

It's why people are upset with the fact that indie media owners have financial and personal interest in certain indie games that just so happened to win multiple awards from said media outlet. It's fishy, they didn't disclose this anywhere, and their hostile reactions are unacceptable.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Didero

• Arm Wrestling Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2014, 03:06:01 pm »
Where have you been? We've been complaining about spa retreats and wraparound advertising for years.
I thought the whole GamerGate thing was about indie publishers being too familiar with game journalists.

These game journalist are probably corrupt given the financial interest at stake, the hard facts provided, and their general reaction. Not everyone is corrupt, but people want accountability and disclosure.
I guess I missed the hard facts, since all the evidence I've seen is convoluted charts aiming to prove journalists and devs know each other, which was apparent before and is no proof of corruption.

But those strict rules are pretty interesting. Of course, there's far less money directly at stake with the indie developers this all started about. It's scarier with the big publishers, but I haven't heard anybody complain about that.
Whose strict rules? The ones you just made up out of thin air? Those aren't the rules, there aren't any rules to corruption, that's the whole idea.
...The strict rules for accountants you mentioned in the piece of your post I quoted.

I've always been under the impression since the Kane&Lynch GameSpot fiasco that big publisher game reviews from big media outlets are to be discarded. That's why people have been up in arms with YouTube content policies and such, they don't want valid criticism being taken down due to publisher complaint.
Yeah, that was a blatant case of unacceptable meddling by game companies. And YouTube's content filtering is an ovezealous copyright prevention system that's being abused by people that want to annoy differing opinions, which is scary. But I've not seen any of that brought up in GamerGate.

It's why people are upset with the fact that indie media owners have financial and personal interest in certain indie games that just so happened to win multiple awards from said media outlet. It's fishy, they didn't disclose this anywhere, and their hostile reactions are unacceptable.
That does reek of conflict of interest, but this forum is the first place I've seen mention of the IGF thing.

Also, one reason game journalists may not be reacting as professionally as maybe they should, could be the fact that besides the people having genuine complaints and worries there is a large amount of people not interested in debate but just in slinging insults and threats. That wears on your patience after a while.
The whole thing kind of reminds me of this comic: http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2939

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • Dat klopt, ik was daar
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 18, 2014, 04:07:50 pm »
If you'd watched a video you'd see the IGF thing is being mentioned elsewhere. You'd also see more evidence that you're asking for. Your coming into this argument without having perused the case built by the other side and it's coming off as trolly/ignorant. Stuff like

I guess I missed the hard facts, since all the evidence I've seen is convoluted charts aiming to prove journalists and devs know each other, which was apparent before and is no proof of corruption.

or maybe it's the whole leaked cache of documents that people combed through? I mean did you even watch the short 15 minute one?

No one is talking about big publishers because that isn't what gamersgate is about! Everyone involved/upset is already aware of the issues involved with big publishing, it's been the status quo to people who abandoned it long ago, bringing up 'oh but IGN/Gamespot/EA/Activision are also shady' is like bringing up the grass is green.

Also, one reason game journalists may not be reacting as professionally as maybe they should, could be the fact that besides the people having genuine complaints and worries there is a large amount of people not interested in debate but just in slinging insults and threats. That wears on your patience after a while.

Sorry, you don't get a free pass from professionalism. The president, john stewart, a B list celebrity, Michael Richards, you don't get to just spout off.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Online PatMan33

• The Nameless One
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • Google
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2014, 10:34:34 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liSgxgz0Et8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liSgxgz0Et8</a>

He has to speak up to talk over noise outside. This is awesome.

UNDERSTAND.