Author Topic: Salad!  (Read 2885 times)

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
Salad!
« on: December 21, 2010, 01:41:10 pm »
Steak is wonderful, but sometimes you're hit with a need to eat some of the autotrophic fruits of the earth. Carrots! Spinach! Tomatoes!

When the craving to consume the lush vegetation of nature hits, what do you guys generally eat? Does this differ from what you want to eat? Favorite/Least favorite dressing? Do you prefer peppers ground into your salad? Do you like non-vegetable things in your salad, like cheese or perhaps bacon bits? What kinds of salads do you/can you make? What do you like to drink with your salad? Or are you one of those abnormal people that hates salad?

Myself, I enjoy a Caesar salad. Nothing much to it, pretty simple to make, tastes decent. However, one of my favorite salads is cranberry walnut salad. Basically you've got the normal leafy stuff, with cranberries, roasted walnuts (perhaps glazed with honey), and feta cheese. Once had a variation of that salad that included slices of green apple. That was quite a good dinner. Can't remember where I had that, though.

On the subject of dressing: I don't like sweet dressing. Ranch, euch. Is honeymustard even considered a dressing? I prefer not to think about that possibility. Anyway, if I must have a dressing, vinaigrette is generally the choice. I find cheese to be a decent substitute though. I enjoy blue cheese, and feta is good as well. Mozzarella slices go well with tomato salad.

Yes, I poached sgore's thread idea on a whim.  :P

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Salad!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:44:32 pm »
You dirty dog!

I LOVE SALAD!

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 01:51:14 pm »
I'll have some veggies on the side all the time, but I'll never have salad as a main course meal. I can't stand lettuce in anything but a sandwich.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 01:57:30 pm »
I've always been a caesar man myself, but as of late I've been leaning more towards the pure simplicity of lettuce with a clean vineargrette.

On occasion what's really good is to make a large, complex salad as a main course.  You have the standard staples of lettuce, cucumber and tomato in there, along with the less common cuttons and bacon, but then you also throw in stuff like apple, carrots, baby tomatos, radishes, basically whatever you have handy.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »
What are cuttons?

Anyway, My favorite salad would probably be lettuce, bleu cheese dressing and bacon bits, as well as whatever else I can find that fits into it. (Tastewise, that is, not whatever fits into the bowl.)

I'll pretty much eat any salads, though I'm pretty particular about any salads with fruit in them. (The only fruits I enjoy in a salad are mandarins and small slices of green apple.)

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 02:06:52 pm »
Salad is for Clarke. >_>
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 02:18:06 pm »
Yes, I poached sgore's thread idea on a whim.  :P

INSOLENCE!
...just kidding. If you hadn't done so, I might have started it this evening, but regardless it is an important conversation to have. Thank you for starting it sir.

Perhaps we could discuss what constitutes a salad?

Some, such as the promotions departments of various fast food restaurants, may consider the only requirement as being the inclusion of lettuce. (I'm looking at you Taco Bell.)
Others would point to the general acceptance of such items as potato salad and fruit salad as evidence such criteria is too narrow a definition.
Indeed it is just one of the many major debates had within the salad eating community.

Other traditional points of contention include the creamy Italian vs. regular Italian debate, the question of who makes the best variety of crouton, and of course, why Hidden Valley Ranch commercials weird me out so much.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SokzeGWY9Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SokzeGWY9Q</a>

Things to ponder.
(And I must indeed put myself into the Caesar camp as well, though crumbled cheese is optional. Croutons, greens and dressing always work fine for me in that area. Deliciousness indeed.)
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 03:16:55 pm »
The Caesar salad at Carraba's is delicious.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 04:19:57 pm »
I suck at making and preparing all forms of food, therefore, I mostly just eat 'lazy salads'.
Like, de-coring an apple and peeling a banana, then chopping the two, stuffing them in a bowl, and pretending it is somehow different than just eating them normally.
Does putting peanut butter on a slice of toasted bread make me a master chef?

Raw carrot and cucumber are awesome though <3
Who needs to prepare a salad when you can just munch on that stuff?

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 05:00:56 pm »
I was out of food at my apartment and noticed that I had a couple packets of nicked soup crackers.

I discovered that they tasted good when used to scoop peanut butter.

MASTER CHEF.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 05:19:56 pm »
Peanut butter + apples...so good.

3 posts about peanut butter in a row? Someone must make a peanut butter thread! For variety! And for great justice!
edit: I had salad in a sandwich yesterday! It was not called that, but that's what it was. Mediterranean Veggie sandwich at Panera. Was decent. Somewhat sweet, which was surprising. Not sure if I liked that or not.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:08:34 am by Gungnir »

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »
Salad is for Clarke. >_>
:I

Actually, I only like Caesar. :D

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 07:54:48 pm »
CLARKE WE HAVE SO MUCH IN COMMON WE SHOULD ELOPE.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 07:57:48 pm »
THAT IDEA IS BUTTERCUPS AND RAINBOWS.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 07:58:55 pm »
WHAT A COINCIDENCE THAT IS WHAT I JUST HAD FOR DINNER.