Author Topic: Font-making anyone?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Font-making anyone?
« on: December 16, 2010, 07:46:26 am »
At some point we just get tired of Helvetica and Veranda do we not?
I've recently learned that font making is awesome and I'm curious if anyone else on the forums has been getting into this or interested in doing so.
I'm curious if we can build up a backlog of fonts native to the community. It'll probably have no purpose beyond being fun, but there are enough free tools on the internet to make it possible and I think there are people on here who'd enjoy it.

Those that I've completed so far are here:
http://fontstruct.com/fontstructors/sgore
(Only two right now. I'm a bit of a beginner at this, but I like how they came out.)

Any ideas/suggestions/comments on the idea?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:53:53 am by sgore »

What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Putspooza

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
Re: Font-making anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 08:01:45 am »
Oh hey wait. Font. This is much less cool than fort making.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 08:16:57 am »
...not exactly the response I was hoping for, but I suppose that's true.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 09:01:20 am »
I've designed fonts with pencil and paper before, but never actually used them. I'm pretty interested in typography.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 09:50:34 am »
I've only made one font to date, the Kratair's language.

Not exactly practical, but it is kinda nifty.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

gec05

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:21:49 am »
In my general area, a derivative of typography is what the cool kids call "tagging." Looks like graffiti, but on paper.

One time I told this "cool kids" girl I was an artist, since she inquired. She thought I was a tagger, but I was all "um, no."

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 11:09:02 am »
Got started on a font. The fonstruct tool doesn't have centered vertical or horizontal half blocks.

:|

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 11:21:47 am »
They don't have any ready made, but I'm pretty sure you can make one.
Draw a line of three square blocks in a row (either vertically or horizontally). Highlight them. Press Shift+G. A new block should pop up in the "My Bricks" section. It'll probably look the same as the regular square, but shift click on it, then click on the left and right (or top and bottom) sides to erase them (leaving the middle one). The result should be what you're looking for unless I've misunderstood.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:23:54 pm »
The Kratair have a base four number system? Their numbers must get pretty big pretty fast :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 02:29:59 pm »
I did one for the suldija, along with mathematics.

Basic Arithmetic

The math practiced by the Suldija is quite different from that of our own. Having four manipulators, each with six digits, the Suldija picked up on a system which utilizes a combination of base six and base four. Like a normal base six system, the digits proceed upward until the number five is reached, at which point a new numeral is added to the left and a zero is placed besides it, so that the number six would be represented as "10". However, when this new counter grows to twenty four, the entire number is set back to zero and a one is placed to the left of it, separated from the zero by a figure which, in the Suldija's language, represents a division of words. While twenty five in our system would be represented as 25, in the Suldija's arithmetic system it equates to "1 1" (note the space between the digits).

The Suldija also perform simple arithmetic functions differently. The Suldija's language lacks the linking verb "to be", and so an equivalent to the equal sign did not come about until later on, when algebraic functions came into play. Instead, two different numbers are separated by the Suldija character which attaches prefixes to words. This is then placed next to the Suldija equivalent of an arrow, an outward-facing half-hexagon, and the function performed is dependent on its position. 4/2 = 2 in English would be represented as 4(combined w/ 2) ==> 2 (For the equation on the right in the diagram, opposite of multiplication, I accidentally put a subtraction sign instead of a division sign.) 4*2=8 would be represented as 12(eight in binary) <== 4(combined w/ 2).

I was working on a language, but I can't figure out how to transfer a custom font onto the forums. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 06:28:56 pm »
Type onto an image. Upload image to your choice of website. Copy BBcode for image. Post BBcode.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 06:32:02 pm »
I think he wanted to hack the font into the forum software.
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Detoxicated

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Spirit of Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 03:36:24 am »
I like your cold war font sgore... have you got any links to such programs of font making?
OK, both of you die and let us know what happens.

Offline Tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 06:13:50 am »
Hmm, maybe the site he links to in the first post?

Just a guess!

They don't have any ready made, but I'm pretty sure you can make one.
Draw a line of three square blocks in a row (either vertically or horizontally). Highlight them. Press Shift+G. A new block should pop up in the "My Bricks" section. It'll probably look the same as the regular square, but shift click on it, then click on the left and right (or top and bottom) sides to erase them (leaving the middle one). The result should be what you're looking for unless I've misunderstood.

Thanks, but this produces a tile with one third thickness. I need centered at half thickness. I'll try different combinations with this method.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 06:19:35 am by Tesla »