Author Topic: The Humble Indie Bundle!  (Read 19117 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
The Humble Indie Bundle!
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:25:01 pm »
http://www.humblebundle.com/
The current bundle (31st May 2012) contains:

Amnesia
Psychonauts
Limbo
Superbrothers : Swords & Sworcery EP

And the bonus game for beating the average is :
Bastion

For those who don't know, the humble bundle is a recurring pack of indie-games that have been offered up for the price of : "Pay what you want."
Whilst the developers and the humble bundle organisers get a slice of the profit, some of it goes to two charities too, and you get to pick exactly where your money goes through a neat little slider thingy, literally letting you decide whether only the charities get the cash, how much the developers get, and so forth. Depending on the individual pack, the source codes are often released too, though sometimes only when a certain overall donations mark has been reached. They do actually expect a fair amount of people just to purchase it for $1, because of both lacking interest, greed, and the fact not everyone can afford to buy videogames (at least not without skipping their daily out-of-date insta-ramen ration). Just give a little thought on it, okay? Each bundle is time-limited, lasting about 15 days, so don't think too long! Just lately they're adding in previously released bundle games if you beat the average purchase price.

Amnesia is a notoriously effective horror game that relies on suspense and atmosphere, rather than outright combat. Psychonauts is a real classic, a platformer following a kid named Raz through a psychic summer-camp. I had my doubts at first due to the art style, but it quickly grows on you if you let it. Limbo is another platformer, a heavily atmospheric, dark journey of a child apparently trying to find his way back to his sister. Swords & Sworcery is liked by a lot of people, but I found the game to be a mere afterthought to the soundtrack. To be honest, I found it hollow, hand-holdy and pretentious, but at least you get it's music, and maybe you'll be one of many who adore it. If so, shame on you more power to you! Bastion, which you get if you beat the average, is another little gem. Whilst the gameplay itself would be samey, where it really excels is in the storytelling, which is done through active narration from a friendly acquaintance of the main character. That might not sound like much but it's done to good effect.

(This topic will be updated and bumped at the release of every new Humble Indie Bundle.)
(The bumping will probably be done by folks with faster reaction times than me)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:52:08 am by Uroboros »

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
Re: Humble Indie Bundle 2!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 05:58:10 pm »
Yay, Cortex Command!

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:15:55 pm »
It's going to rake in about a year's worth of minimum wages and a continent's worth of torrent downloads.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:19:15 pm »
do you really have to be so negative about everything? last indie bundle got over a million dollars

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:20:22 pm »
This one already has over 600 thousand dollars.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:36:13 pm »
If I didn't already have every game on this list worth buying I would totally get it!
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 10:04:51 pm »
how about gifting someone? :O

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:48:47 pm »
do you really have to be so negative about everything?

I'm really quite cheerful. Well, not about pirating indie games anyway. That'd be horrible.
I'm not entirely sure how the "pay what you want" model works though - surely they stand to lose out hideously assuming everyone just pays one cent or whatever the minimum was? I mean beyond stigma (assuming people know you bought it for that much) there's not much else you can to do stop folks. I'll be flat out honest though, I haven't got a damn clue what the deal is with the piracy. I thought piracy normally occurred due to DRM or convenience, but when you can pay literally one cent for a bundle of (probably) low-security indie games and they pirate it instead, I really cannot work that out at all.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 10:57:33 pm »
I thought the first one made a decent amount of money?

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 11:03:03 pm »
Look at the page. People are obviously paying more than a cent. True, it's less than the games individually, but it's making money.

Total revenue: $660,035.10
Number of
purchases: 90,329
Average purchase: $7.31
Average Windows: $6.09
Average Mac: $8.26
Average Linux: $13.71

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 11:08:12 pm »
Huh, cool. I really wonder what the more detailed breakdown is, like how many bought it then how many of those buys were in each category, etc.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 11:39:05 pm »
There's a pie chart of total revenue by system.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 02:43:49 am »
The last bundle did pretty well for itself but I do recall there being a significant slice of piracy involved on top of the $1 purchases. I suppose it is a big gamble, but that is why it hits up so many sales. People recognise the risk, and the charity involvement, and dig a little deeper into their pockets. Though the games in each bundle are often well beyond their initial release 'sales boom', so all they're really doing is accelerating their natural lifespan in the name of charity. I mean, it isn't like you couldn't pirate them well before the new bundles inventory was even arranged.

This time, one of them is an alpha, and one is a beta, too. If anything, this'll help the projects to reach completion. Cortex Command in particular has been around for years...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:55:09 am by Uroboros »

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 06:50:47 pm »
Yeah, cortex command has been around for ages. I don't see how it's not done yet...out of funding, you say?

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 06:58:39 pm »
i think they are just lazy >.>