Author Topic: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim!  (Read 72895 times)

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
Re: Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim!
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2010, 06:19:11 am »
I predict the Luminar brand sarcasm will not get taken with good humour. People are taking your tone the wrong way a lot recently. You need to tone the sarcasm or they'll just keep thinking you're being an ass. Half of it is in what you say, half of it is in how it gets read, right? Remember what you think of the 4chan guys? Well your Somethingawful deal is making you sound similar, to these guys. There will be beatings!

I wasn't really a fan of Morrowind or Oblivion, mostly because of the usual sandbox-style flaws. Repetition, mostly. Though on the flipside I really liked Fallout 3, perhaps because it is easier to hold someones interest with sci-fi than it is a fantasy world? A world decked with faux science allows a player a direct influence over things. You don't have to understand exactly how a nanohacker works to know you can override some systems with it, but for a world draped in magic, giving the player a predictable interface is harder. Fantasy games are often more driven by their characters, and in a more sandbox-like environment where you quickly get accustomed to the faces and voices (and quickly realise how the majority of people you will find are 'filler NPCs' with absolutely nothing to say or do), well, it just falls on its face faster. At least thats what I found.

I expect from Skyrim what I got in Oblivion. Lots of eyecandy, and a big initial wow-factor. Then after I come to grips with the game system, I won't be able to unsee it, and it'll just look like a big series of uninteresting fantasy scripts. Then again, Morrowind was pretty good if I remember rightly. It was just Oblivion turned me off by punishing you for actually levelling your chosen key talents. I chose to explore at first, prior to doing some missions. When I finally got around to some basic early missions, all the enemies were stupendously powerful and were wielding stuff like glass, mithril and... unobtanium.

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2010, 06:51:08 am »
Yeah, that's about it.

Alls I need is room to screw around. I can make my own fun. Messing around and coming up with ridiculous stories to tell others is awesome.
Oblivion was kinda alright for this.

The other thing I wanna see is steps taken toward the elimination of things that break game flow. I'm talking loading screens/transitions/cut-aways/anything using my viewpoint as a camera rather than the POV of the character, those awful lock-on NPC conversations, interface and menu fiddling..
One thing I'm hoping is that houses and/or cities are in the same space as the rest of the world. I'm confident we'll at least get cities again, like Morrowind. Maybe not houses. And uh, dungeons even less likely.
It'd all be neato though. My main point is that at least one loading screen or transition is eliminated.

It's just something I notice. Game flow is pretty important to me. I even feel like I can enjoy a game just a little more for things like that, small as they are.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2010, 06:57:47 am »
I do want the enchanting though.
The main atrocity between Morrowind -> Oblivion was that the construction set was actually nerfed somewhat. More stuff was hardcoded in Obv than in Morrowind. If it's any worse in Skyrim it'll be like having a lego set with five bricks to worth with. For a game that basically thrives on modding, you can't afford that.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2010, 07:05:05 am »
One thing they won't change but which i would like them to change is the godawful unintuitive leveling system.

HMMM so let me get this straight, to stay ahead of the game's shameless rubberbanding you have to tag all the skills you don't use all the time, then grind those skills once you've accumulated enough level up points in the non-tagged skills which you DO use all the time, allowing you to finally level up and put more than one point into a stat.

I'm actually ok with leveling from using your major skills but they need to decouple skill use from sta gain. Just let us put our stat increases into whatever we want and be done with it.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2010, 07:15:41 am »
I nearly always took acrobatics, simply because of how I play. Exploration gets easier with acrobatics, and being able to hop that fence or -just- get up onto that roof, is a great way to get an advantage in combat. Of course, whether I take it as a main skill or not, I hop everywhere out of compulsion. As a result I ended up at level 2-million with crazy acrobatic ability but smeg all else, facing common road-encounters that could wipe out armies.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2010, 08:33:24 am »
Also the weird way in which enemies level with you, why does every bandit end up with an incredibly rare and expensive weapon?

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2010, 01:16:43 pm »
Glass armor and weaponry.

I don't grok.
They're collectible! Sorta...

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2010, 05:23:29 pm »
They definitely need to fix the level scaling thing from Oblivion. I like the idea of certain armors being rare instead of everyone and their mom having Daedric armor.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • Oh just ****ing deal with it <3
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »
Yeah that got a little retarded toward the end.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2010, 06:20:46 pm »
Honestly I probably could easily mod either game (both are guilty of it) to fix the issue, but it'd take a hell of a lot of time due to the size of the world. I had an idea at one point that certain areas/dungeons carried higher level mobs than other places. So if you wanted to fight creatures tougher than yourself, all you have to do is wander into the right area - you couldn't get completley ganked by a bear in some random field because you took thievery and magic, for instance.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2010, 11:57:08 pm »
The leveling is all I'd like to see fixed. I put the game down because I got tired of having to summon endless skelatons to fight to level my sword skills so I can actually play the game with out getting destroyed by the now over powered enemies. I was putting points into strength at every level up but because I didn't gain many points in my combat skills I wasnt getting the multiplyers needed to keep up with the leveling enemies. Fix that I'll be happy.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2010, 04:19:50 am »
If they could somehow implement a decent co-op of sorts, they would probably find their sales rocketing, too.

Offline Gauphastus

• Space Harrier
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2010, 04:46:54 am »
I'd love to see some co-op play in there, depending on how the game actually plays and all. Still, I doubt that it will happen this time. :/
I remember Oblivion had a really basic and broken multiplayer mod made for it but the project sorta vanished. The website is still up but it's pretty well entirely forgotten.

You might figure that if some dude can hack together multiplayer on his own that Bethesda should be able to work it out too.
It's a beast I'm not sure their team is at all able to handle.

Suppose we'll know the answer to that one soon enough. It'll likely be one of the first things they confirm or deny in this Gameinformer thing coming up.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2010, 05:27:10 am »
When it comes to sandbox games, multiplayer (especially co-op) gaming has to be a consideration from the very start. Hackjobs nearly always leave gaping holes in the script-logic based on quest-takers, area transitions, trigger events and so forth. Hopefully they'll have at least given it some consideration this time around.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2010, 06:29:01 am »
Speaking for myself I don't want Bethesda wasting time on implementing multiplayer of any sort. You want multiplayer fantasy co-op, buy Diablo 3 when it comes out.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.