Author Topic: Gaming Steve Sci-fi Universe: How Does It Measure Up?  (Read 15486 times)

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Steve Sci-fi Universe: How Does It Measure Up?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 08:24:42 am »
Its space battles aren't particularly large 'cept with the Dominion War and the Borg incursions.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2010, 08:31:31 am »
Major technobabble.
Agh god, my head!....

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 08:37:42 am »
Oh, we so win.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 10:29:30 am »
No, we don't. Star Trek has gigantic amounts of story, all somewhat coherent, and generally well thought out (though sometimes episodes are crap.)
We definitely have better creativity when it comes to creatures and such, as well as recurring characters, and larger overall stories. But the main reason is that a lot of Star Trek series had to produce episodes quickly, and money was often in short supply. In digital media, you don't have to worry about the cost or time constraints!

To me, our Spore Universe has a bit of every sci-fi show mixed into it. It's like a sci-fi melting pot.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 07:56:53 pm »
Star Trek is great story but awful Sci-fi.  Unoriginal aliens.  Lots of technobabble.  Unimpressive combat.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 09:21:02 pm »
having an overarching story arch would suck. I dont know why people keep trying for it.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

gec05

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 10:42:03 pm »
And why is that bad?

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 12:32:36 am »
I can only speak for myself and what I payed attention to in the old pre-spore days. I would say there was a lot of diversity and creativity going on since we had no idea what Spore would end up being like. Thus it has saved us in the long run from being too much like the Spore universe.

However when I made the Nauceans and eventually Sagan 4, I looked at it like a history book or species guide than a story. And even when I did RP with the Nauceans it was very limited and in the beginning just for novelty sake. Since interacting with other people's creatures was "taboo" at first. Mainly since you did not want to mess with other peoples timelines. I mean we did not even know if we were in the same universe let alone galaxy as the other people's species.

Anywho overall I have seen good, bad and yes even ugly creatures here. Many falling into the "humanoid" or "Earth-like" realm. But its extremely hard for us to go beyond what we know. But I think atleast some people have tried to make truly "alien" creatures.

But what it really comes down to is having fun. If you are having fun making your creature then it doesn't really matter if other people like it. The point is having fun creating with your imagination. :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 12:37:35 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Phoenix Down

• Space Invaders Junkie
  • Don't feed the plants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 07:09:33 am »
Any major sections of the RG/OG that have been decanonized?
A Song I Admire:We'll have tomorrow, trust me it's true.  We'll have tomorrow, we'll get through...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2h8AXm9dqo

A Song I Composed:Soon it will be my time...  http://www.mediafire.com/?c6ahalmxbtu625x

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 08:31:59 am »
However when I made the Nauceans and eventually Sagan 4, I looked at it like a history book or species guide than a story.

hhmm. that's almost opossite to how I approach developing my peoples. its more about their stories and the things ( all sperate from GS)

but you said history book, so I don't think you meant stories about your poeple in general, but just stories based within this "galaxy" on this sight.

And even when I did RP with the Nauceans it was very limited and in the beginning just for novelty sake. Since interacting with other people's creatures was "taboo" at first. Mainly since you did not want to mess with other peoples timelines. I mean we did not even know if we were in the same universe let alone galaxy as the other people's species.

I feel similar.
but the creations aren't really connected, I think. though some have made species just for the sake of rping, mostly its just a cluster-crossover.

example: yuu's stuff. its its own world. he just does  the rping for (presumably. I can't guess motives) fun.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 03:34:12 am »
Star Trek is great story but awful Sci-fi.  Unoriginal aliens.  Lots of technobabble.  Unimpressive combat.

Indeed.

Pretty much sums up Star Trek as a whole.

In any case, I bring you guys Iain Banks' the Culture.

So, how 'bout it?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 03:42:24 am by Yuu »

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2011, 10:01:26 am »
I think I saw that on wiki, its about humanity uplifting a few (relatively) smart animal species on Earth and they meet a gigantic intergalactic community, right?

EDIT: Nope, looked at it and it doesn't appear to be that.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 06:48:09 pm »
I believe that you're thinking of Startide Rising.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 09:27:23 pm »
Yeah, its that.

Offline omegatripod

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Now a brony.
    • View Profile
    • Ask Joe Hoofer
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 03:25:04 pm »
Nobody here seems to have read The Culture series except Yuu, so I now present:

The Race versus The Nauceans. Does Hydro hold up to Turtledove, or did ol' Harry fail to meet his sci-fi novel detail quota? Tune in next week to find out; same bat time, same bat channel! Copyright1967AmericanBroadcastingCompanyAllrightsreservedIfyouviewedthisepisodewithoutafrontcoveritisconsideredunsoldordestroyedpropertyandneitherthestudionorthecreatorsmayhavereceivedratingsforitRememberifitdoesntsayMicroMachinesitsnottherealthing.

In all seriousness, if you want to read the book in the Worldwar series with the most overall detail about the Race, read Homeward Bound.