Author Topic: Highschool of the Dead  (Read 8690 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Highschool of the Dead
« on: November 27, 2010, 09:37:11 pm »
So, has anyone else here heard of Highschool of the Dead?

It's more or less an animated version of L4D, but with highschool students instead of the former's cast.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
Re: Highschool of the Dead
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:48:09 pm »
I heard of it and read a little about it just haven't got around to watching it yet.
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline Clayface

• Jungle Hunter
  • user #9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 11:44:45 pm »
i saw the first couple of episodes, I really liked it, it's rather good

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:12:34 pm »
I just finished watching it. I really liked it, which is unusual for anime. I normally nitpick about things but this actually held together pretty good. The ending is left open, as in, not a generic ambiguous cop-out, but an actual open ending. The entire thing is a bit gratuitous, despite it constantly coming back to moments of "face reality", but it works. The entire 'jiggle physics' and abundance of fan-service does get in the way, but I guess this anime puts the fantasy back in the action-fantasy.

Its the kind of anime that was born out of the thinking : "Wouldn't a zombie apocalypse be cool?" instead of "It would suck to be in a survival-horror situation."
A quick look on the wiki says that when the next issue of the manga is out, it will be released along with a new episode (rather than just running into a new season), so we might see some harder conclusions or a more solid THE END!.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:08:32 pm »
So apparently Uro talked Celdur into watching this, and since he was talking about it I took a look, too.  Here's what I thought:

- Celdur told me this show was the most gratuitous he'd ever seen, and he wasn't kidding.  I feel dirty just watching the intro song.

- Okay, the main character has had a crush on this girl since they were kids, they've blown their academic careers for each other, how sweet.  Pink haired girl berates him for being stupid.  Have they not invented bras in Japan?  I would ask if the women are made of jello, but even jello doesn't jiggle that much.

- The zombie fights so far are okay.  There's the generic anime over the the top bloodspray, but still good.

- The hero goes to save his girlfriend from class, she says what the hell are you talking about and he slaps the tar out of her for interrupting a man.

This is as far as I got before closing the video, seven minutes in.  I was prepared to look past the INCREDIBLY gratuitous shots every time a female showed up on screen because I was warned in advance.  But so far it appears the main characters I'm supposed to be rooting for are a pair of boobs, a pink haired brat, and a stupid ass.  I kind of want the zombies to get them. 

Your show is bad and you should feel bad.  You should also feel bad for comparing it to Left 4 Dead.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 10:50:18 pm »
Haha, and the worst part is that the fanservice gets worse as time goes on. I suppose I must have developed an immunity to it?
I liked it for what was hiding behind the perpetual motion implants : the zombies. We seriously need more zombie stuff.
No, wait, we need more -good- zombie stuff. I mean it isn't like the innuendo and boy/girl tension would be too out of place given they're schoolkids, its just the fanservice that should have been shaved off. A little surprised the brainiac or the medic didn't turn into a molotov-thrower to round out the combatants in the party though.

So apparently Uro talked Celdur into watching this
This is a lie! He just told me when he was starting to watch it. I just tried to coax him to stomach the 'attention grabbing' episode starters, to give the series a chance. Unfortunately after sailing over an uddery ocean of chestflesh for one episode gave him enough motion sickness to stop him. Oh well.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 11:14:16 pm »
well, it was your post here that convinced me

its not like yuu's advice will ever get me to watch anything  :D

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Manga

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
    • Read Manga Online
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 01:53:46 am »
I watched it and it was pretty good I hope they'll make a 2nd season

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 01:56:45 pm »
Ditto.  :)

As for the copious amounts of fan service, especially breast physics, I've kinda gotten desensitized to it by now, since they really just put that in to increase revenues and keep shows afloat back there, unless they want the show to tank. I usually just ignore them, not factoring them in anymore when I rate stuff, since they're, reluctantly, basically a staple now.

Maybe it's just me and my lack, or extreme suppression, of sexual sensibility. Lest it ruin my day. Same goes for unjustified human-to-human violence, really. They're present in almost all shows by now, though, honestly, I really just handwave it these days.  :P

And no, I will never be ashamed of comparing it to L4D.  :P
I've gotten past focusing on R-rated tropes to view the show beneath its softcore of an outer cover.

its not like yuu's advice will ever get me to watch anything  :D

True, so true!  :D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:01:04 pm by Yuu »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 03:20:49 pm »
tl;dr, Yuu is a pervert.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 07:31:16 pm »
A cold and heartless pervert.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 02:58:40 am »
Just wait. When L4D3 comes out and you get attacked by a Jiggler, you'll be helpless.
Now I know who to trust when the zombie apocalypse starts. A good teammate watches your back and doesn't afraid of anythingboob.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 01:06:03 am »
So... I was in Akihabara today for some chirstmas shopping and I saw that H.O.T.D is already out on Blue-ray and DVD.

Seems quite popular here atm.

Edit:

I took a photo of what I think is the first season.

Forgive my bad photo skills, but I wasn't sure if you were allowed to photograph in there so I had to do it quick.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 01:18:19 am by Pixxel »
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 01:19:27 am »
d...dont buy it pixxel D:

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Pixxel

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 02:34:04 am »
Of course not!
I don't even follow this show, it was just highlighted in the same store where I bought a few new games.
So this thread came to my mind.
If you stop and think about it, Your life's longer as an old guy than a kid. Scary o.o