Author Topic: The Academy (story)  (Read 2876 times)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
The Academy (story)
« on: November 19, 2010, 09:45:26 pm »
((Ok, so not much has ever been given on the real training those Photos soldiers go through. So what better way to describe it, then through a story, as one young Photos goes through the movements of becoming a soldier?))

At the foot of a large fort, a lone Photos stood, steeling himself for a decision that would change his life. This fort was an academy, located on Photise, the homeworld of the Photos and one of the empire's largest recruitment centers. Taking a deep breath, this young Photos strode up to the doors, which slid open, and walked right up to the recruiter.
"I'd like to sign up." He said. The recruiter shot him a bored look, grabbing a digipad and handing it to him.
"Fill this out and return it to me." The recruiter said, almost in monotone.
"Thanks." The Photos said, sitting in one of the chairs around the main hall and removing the digipad's built-in stylus. This young Photos, Ka'vase, filled out all the required areas. Age? 20. Height? 5' 1". Weight? Bout' 200, so on and so forth. It took almost an hour to fill out all the information on the digipad. He returned it to the recruiter, who fed it into a computer. Within five seconds, it analyzed the data and gave a result. ACCEPTED. A door opened, and the computer directed Ka'vase through it. In the room were a crowd of recruits, and a Commander, in full power armour.
"You are all taking on a heavy, honorable responsibility. Especially in these times, with the invasion of the Nameless, and the havoc created in said invasion's wake." Several soldiers started getting second thoughts right about then. "But fear not! You will be provided with some of the, if not THE, best armour and weapons in the galaxy! You shall have some of the, if not THE, best TRAINING in the galaxy! And if all else fails, you shall have the unity of your squad to fall back on. If any of you are having second thoughts about serving in the military, just head out the door you came in." Not a single person budged. "Great. Now, recruits, follow me, and we'll get you all set up with the necessary implants. And in case any of you aren't big fans of that, don't worry, it's pain-free." The Commander said, leading them through the door opposite the one they entered. They entered a hallway, with a series of rooms, the upper half of the part facing the hallway being glass, except for the doors. Inside each was an apparatus that looked something like a cross between a barber's chair and a torture device, each manned by a friendly-looking operator.
"These devices are what give you your implants; one between the shoulder blades, one in the back of the head, and one in the back of each foot. Please, if you would, step through a door, one at a time?" The Commander said. And as he asked, a recruit stepped into each of the four rooms, sitting down in the chair. The operator pressed a button, and a set of restraints held each recruit in place, gently but firmly. Then an arm with a breathing mask descended over the recruit's face, letting them inhale a small dose of anesthetic. All four dropped unconscious, limp in the chair's grasp. Then the machine went to work, implanting them with the four devices needed to properly interface with their armour.

(more later.)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The Academy (story)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 04:56:01 am »
In the words of a certain franchise's space marine:

"It's about time..."

8)

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 03:04:51 pm »
When it was Ka'vase's turn, he stepped through the door and sat in the chair. The chair and operator went through the restraining process, and the mask came down on his face. When he came to, his head was throbbing, there was a searing pain between his shoulder blades, and his lower legs were killing him. He returned to his spot. There was only one more batch after him. Once they were done, and shuffled their way out, groaning in pain, the Commander spoke up once again.
"As I can see you are all in pretty bad pain, as is usual after this particular procedure, we will move onto assigning you your quarters. Tomorrow, we will get you all in some Armour and begin introducing you to the equipment you'll be using on a regular basis, as well as figuring out which Xylanis you will be trained for, some of which will result to you getting moved to a different academy, perhaps even on another planet. Follow me." The commander said, leading them out the door at the other end of the hall way, which opened into another hallway bristling with recruits that had been longer, as well as soldiers in full armour. He led the group to a doorway to the right and on the opposite side of the hall, which in turn opened into yet another hallway with symetrical sets of doors on either side, and a ladder at the far end, leading to what Ka'vase hypothesized was the second floor of what he guessed was to be their homes for a while.
"These are your quarters. Pick one, and that one's yours. There are four floors, so don't worry about running out of rooms. Each is stocked with the bare necessities, as well as a few amenities, to help make life that much easier. Once you've decided, the rest of the evenin' is yours. Explore around the base if you want, or just catch some Z's, I don't really care." The Commander said, the last four words in a humerous tone. As the exit door opened, he said over his shoulder:
"Barring the odd run in, see y'all in the morning." Ka'vase had been standing next to the door on the right, closest to the exit, and slipped in the instant the exit door closed, the door to his new home sliding open before him. There was a respectably large bed, a T.V. a dresser, a door leading to a bathroom, a closet, a nightstand with a digital clock, and probably the item that surprised him most, was a small fridge, which was stocked with several bottles of cola, and several bottles of carbonated water. He sat on the bed for a moment, taking in all that had already happened. He decided that exploring around the gargantuan-appearing base would probably serve him well.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 04:57:39 pm »
Photos barracks are awesome!  ;D

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 11:44:01 pm »
Ka'vase stepped out of the barracks area, back into the large hallway. Conveniently, a map display was right next to the door. He activated it. and a thin holo-display kicked on, showing the map. His stomach rumbled, reminding him he had not eaten anything today. He looked at the map, and pressed on the space where CAFETERIA was written. The map, using an arrow, drew out the shortest route to the destination. He began his stroll toward his destination. He passed several other Photos on the way; some in power armour, some not. He reached the cafeteria, and the door slid open. The cafeteria was respectably sized, though not large. There was a buffet-line serving system set up on the opposite side of the room; Ka'vase didn't hesitate in serving himself up some food. He found a seat at a table and sat down, grabbing a small leg of meat and biting a mouthful off, washing it down with some of the milk they served. He took in the detailing of the room: sets of plasma lamps lit the rooms; the walls were white plate metal, with features here and there, such as windows to the hallway. There was a small set-in room with a pair of workers standing, separated from the rest of the room by a transparent plastic plate with sound holes drilled in it and a small slit at the bottom for transferring objects. The sign above the small room said QUALITY CONTROL, so if something was rotten or tasted like it wasn't clean virus/bacteria wise, that would probably be where he'd have to take the issue up. He wasn't surprised by the atmosphere; the lamps and white metal roof, walls, and floor were no different from the rest of the base he had seen so far. They weren't a bright white, almost a silver colour. He took his time eating, and once he was finished, he disposed of his trash appropriately. He walked back to his barracks area to get another look at the map. He found the armory; he wanted to see what was on the insides of the armour and weapons everyone was using. He did the same as with the cafeteria, and soon was inside the armory.
"What can I help you with, cadet?" The armory supervisor asked.
"I'm just looking, if that's ok. Seeing everyone with all this gear made me curious as to what it looks like on the inside, know what I mean?" Ka'vase said.
"Yeah, that's how I got started in my department, and then here I am now, the supervisor of it!" The supervisor related. "I wouldn't mind letting you look, so long as you stay out of the way. Heck, if you're up to it, I'm sure some of the boys wouldn't mind an extra hand to fetch materials and stuff like that." The supervisor continued. Ka'vase nodded, strolling over to one of the tables where a repairman had a Plasma Rifle disassembled and was cleaning it out. He noticed Ka'vase' interest in the rifle's cleaning.
"Soot and other debris can clog the barrel housing of the plasma rifle after being fired a bunch without getting cleaned, and that can cause to a weakened plasma output and, therefore, each shot becomes weaker. Plus there's the risk of that junk getting in a critical component and after a while the rifle just won't fire at all." The repairman said without looking up from his cleaning.
"Cool." Ka'vase said. "Would you like an extra hand?" He offered. The repair man seemed to stifle the idea for a second, though the way he kept on cleaning, not even looking up, it was hard to tell.
"Might as well, it'll make it go faster, and perhaps you'll be the one who will learn to clean your rifle by example, not HAVING IT JAM UP IN THE FIELD." The repairman said.
"You sound like you speak from experience." Ka'vase chuckled.
"Might as well, some of the crap I've pulled out of these things. People need to have more care for these things; they're rugged, but you still need to clean em' once in a while."

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 06:54:14 am »
Excellent point, that repairman has.

Weapon maintenance usually gets relegated to the sidelines, despite it being half of what decides how effective your gear is.