Author Topic: Cameras  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
Cameras
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:00:44 pm »
So - as a result of a combination of factors, including financial aid, my ability to deal with my father, and my friend with an unlimited campus meal plan, I have a slowly accumulating pool of cash monies. One of the things I've been considering getting is a DSLR camera. I have a fairly good digital one right now, with 12.2 megapixels and 15X zoom, but I'd really like the manual focus, nicer lights and shadows, and all that fun jazz.

Don't want to spend too much, though. Also thinking about dashing off to Europe for a week or something equally splurgy.

Does anyone have experience with higher-quality cameras or any tips?

I'm currently looking at the Sony Alpha, or a slightly more highly priced Canon.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Cameras
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 11:22:00 am »
Alrighty, as I'm looking around and considering your requests, I have a few questions!

One of big things you say you want is a manual focus. Your camera now should have a manual focus option. I've never encountered a DSLR that lacked such functionality. What you're going to need though when doing manual focus photography is a focusing screen. You could try eyeballing your focus but that's not reliable enough. You can look at an assortment of focusing screens here. And a focusing screen can be inserted into your current camera. If you've never shot film or manual focus before, the advantage afforded by the focusing screen is worth the price of admission.

Could you tell me what problems you're having with your current camera? Why do you want to get rid of it? I'm not convinced you'll be able to get the kind of improvement in photo quality you desire by buying a "better" camera, especially when your current DSLR shoots at 12mpx.

I don't know your past history with photography, but classes and education would probably go much further than a new camera and they'd cost less. The type of results I think you're looking for can be achieved with your current hardware if you know how to use it; however, you can buy a better camera that will allow you to do those things without having to attend classes or experiment. Though those cameras tend to cost more than your first car.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 04:31:25 pm »
Get one of those really awesome ones that film at some insanely high frame rate, and then take requests on youtube for what to do/build/destroy/manipulate at ultra high frame rate. INSTANT NET STARDOM

But yeah I don't think you can go too wrong no matter what you do. My wife has had some camera (not a paticularly expensive one) since around 2003 or so, and it has amazing resolution. As long as you don't go ultra-cheap and stick with a well-established brand, you more than likely can't go wrong at all.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 01:02:02 am »
Ah Pat, I should have clarified. The digital camera I have is just that, a digital camera, not a digital SLR.

That's why I'm currently looking at entrance-level cameras, not professional ones.

And thanks Luminar.
Didn't know you were married.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:35:36 am »
I'm as shocked as you are!

Okay, sorry about the misunderstanding. Whatever the case, any standard lens you receive with the camera body will have a manual focus mode. But a focusing screen is still something I'd highly recommend. The viewfinder on SLR cameras tends to be too small to allow for reliable eyeball focusing. Additionally, your camera will also have a full-auto and full-manual mode which will allow you to do whatever you'd like. And if you're really adventurous, you can download third party system configurations for your DSLR that will allow you to do things the designers never intended.

As far as brands, you're always save with a Canon or a Nikon. My personal preference is Olympus but they're not for everyone. I'm sure Sony makes a fine camera, but I've never known anyone that used one (at least not a DSLR) so I wouldn't be able to offer any first-hand experience.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »
Alright, thanks!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 05:55:26 pm »
Oh, also I apologize for that train wreck of a post I submitted. I was highly medicated at the time. :D

All the info is correct though.