Author Topic: L.A. Noire  (Read 8433 times)

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: L.A. Noire
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 05:53:21 pm »
I picked it up this morning and I've only done the intro missions, but so far it's very promising. It's dripping in style and the facial animation is just plain cool. I admit I did get confused on how interrogation worked but i think i got the hang of things. I picked up the 360 version and there was some graphics stutter in the opening cinematic and minor graphics flickering here and there, but other then that it looks good.

Looking forward to putting more time in and getting my gumshoe on.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 12:44:52 pm »
Like Cow said, it's not all action all the time, but the calmer bits are done really well, and they help make the action bits that do come all the more awesome.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 04:42:59 pm »
I want this game. Correction: I want to make love to this game.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 05:16:06 pm »
The rating system ballsed up with this, and it's not the game's fault.

Apparently we live in a world where censor boards think that a game with comically over the top gore needs banning, but not so much as a heads up when an interview with a rape victim pops up. That scene was actually very progressive and it's good to see stuff like that being acknowledged, but seriously - censor boards were MADE to warn players about potentially traumatic and offensive stuff like that.

I'm not saying the sequence needed to be removed, I'm saying that **** like this needs to go on the box's rating label; because the last thing you want your game to do is bring back horrific repressed memories in some players without any forward warning.

Other than that this is one of the best games I have ever seen ever.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 02:13:50 pm »
Got it today, in the second mission in the first desk. I'm genuinely interested in how the cases go, and it's the first next-gen console (as in, non-PC) game which i haven't wanted to put down after a few hours at a time.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 10:46:19 pm »
Got it on the day it came out, and I have to say that I am not impressed. I'm trying really hard to like this game, especially because Rockstar always seems to put out very entertaining games. This one just doesn't seem to cut it.

All cases seem to be the same. I've gotten through the first desk and am several cases into the second... All cases have the same setup. Observe the scene, press a button to view the clues, listen to the coroner. Interview the people and then select whether they're telling the truth, are 'somewhat' lying, or flat out lying. Don't have any idea? That's alright, because it really doesn't matter. The technology used to capture the faces actions is great and all, but that doesn't help when people are flashing signs that they are lying when apparently they are telling the truth. And even when they are lying, you have two options to choose from. Oh yeah, that one piece of evidence that fits in perfectly and would obviously refute the interviewee's claim because it connects with them and points out their statement as completely false ends up not connecting in any way and you are a complete ******* for even trying to make that insinuation. Instead, if you would have just 'doubted' the person, they would have opened up completely and you would have moved on with new evidence (that you probably would have gotten from a different question anyway) and the person much happier with you.

It's a good thing that you have intuition to help you through these tough times though... or not. They come few and far between, and only serve to confuse you even more when you actually decide to waste one of those hard earned points. Good luck narrowing your selection down with only 50/50 odds, cause chances are you're still going to get it wrong.

It doesn't help that Cole Phelps is a complete douche who I can't connect with in any way. Niko Bellic may have been overtly negative with his outlook on life, but that came from harsh experiences. It was easy to see how his character developed and you could admire the man for coming out on the other end with his sanity intact. Johnny Klebitz may have led a violent life, but he had the pragmatism to realize that his time had passed and that his rough riding days were over. Luis Lopez was simply trying to make a life for himself outside of the ghetto and would do anything to stay out of it. John Marston, arguably one of Rockstar's best characters, had a wisdom and intelligence that didn't seem likely in a hardened criminal, but his attempts at starting over and trying to lead a regular life made him admirable. The fact that he still had a temper that flared up only made him more likeable. Cole Phelps is none of these. He is the golden boy that goes by the book without veering off course. He is annoying and overly harsh when interviewing people, and you often wonder how he isn't the one getting knocked off his feet with the first punch, rather than his partner. Hopefully something changes by the end of the game. A bullet between the eyes might be nice.

I at least thought that searching for clues would be interesting in this game, but nope, not even that is fun. You know that gun that is lying out on the prime suspects dresser? Turns out it doesn't matter at all, even though the murder was caused by blunt trauma, but there's no reason to say "I don't see how this has any connection..." when holding it next to a box full of bloody clothes.

As for the driving... Why did they get rid of the GTA 4 system? I know it was hard to get used to the first time you got into the cars, but after a while it made sense, and it got to be quite fun. Now you can take right hand turns going 50 mph because apparently 1940s era cars had powered steering and tires that could grip ice during a thunderstorm.

It also is interesting how almost every suspect has the urge to flee over rooftops, up ladders, and down random pipes in walls or to simply deck a policeman without the slightest thought of how it will turn out. But hey, I guess you have to make a game interesting somehow...

I can see why Rockstar would want to make a game like this. It had potential and there were plenty of ways to go with this. Unfortunately, even this game seems to have fallen into the repetitive Rockstar style of gaming where you have to go through the same ****, just in different settings. At least in the other games there was a large variety of things to do. If you didn't like the missions, that was fine because you could go around shooting off guns. If you didn't like the shooting, you could always hop into different cars and drive around cities. If you didn't like driving you could always hop into helicopters or airplanes (or horses in the case of Red Dead Redemption) and wander the great outdoors. Sure L.A. is big in this game, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to do in this giant city. I'm hoping that my opinion changes about this game, but it's not looking good.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2011, 11:46:53 am »
I thought Team Bondi made L.A. Noire, which was then published by Rockstar.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 09:06:35 pm »
Got it yesterday, Only a couple of mission in on Traffic (Up to the celebrity that went over a cliff near the station). I'm liking it so far. the intuition makes me feel like I'm using life lines from who wants to be a Millionare. You got 50/50 or ask the audience. Although when I have asked the audience community they were wrong anyway. I can't decide if I like the fact that you cant restart section of investigations or not if you screw a part up royal and you want to start over you got to go from the beginning of the case. Still it does make you more cautious puts real pressure on what you do which is cool, also stops you from trail and erroring it until you get it all perfect.

The difference between doubt and lie can be annoying but for the most part you can tell what evidence refutes which statement if it was always so obvious it would be boring the more annoying stuff is when you got nothing to support or disprove a statement yet the person being interviewed is not being obvious with if he is looking around to dodge eye contact or just shaking his/her head to talk.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 08:23:46 am »
I finished the game several days ago and I was super stoked about the game starting off, now I'm less hyped about it. I still think the game is good but could have been great if it weren't for some minor things.

-Animation. In interviews the facial animation is amazing, everywhere else meh. It drives me crazy in the cut-scenes. In real life when people turn there heads they lead with their eyes. (I think i learned that from a Half Life commentary) and in the game their eyes just sit there in a dead stare.

-Game World. We have this huge open world but it's feels completely wasted. It's almost like the game didn't need to be an open world game at all. They added street crimes that randomly pop up when you're driving between locations, but these are such throw away missions I felt no need to do them after a bit. I would had been nice if there were a set of challenges like Dead Red.

-Coles Reactions, over. You can tell that the actors recorded there lines separately because there is no natural flow in the dialog. (I can't really fault them to much on this, i mean there is like a cast of 100 or so). There are times were you're having a nice chat with an old lady and she'll say, *sweet old lady voice "Well I don't know where Mary went that night," then you suspect she's lying and Cole says, "YOU'RE LYING, TELL THE TRUTH OR I SWEAR TO GOD I WILL BEAT YOU WITH A LEAD PIPE YOU OLD COW!!!!!!!!" and I'm like, "Daaaaaang Cole chill." Same thing happens in the animation too where it didn't look like the actors did there own mo-cap unlike Uncharted 2 with the best in game cut scenes EVER.

-Story. I was digging the story and the ark that was going on up through the homicide deck, and at the end of it there is an issue that is brought up, but they never talk about it again. Then they start getting into the main story ark after that and I didn't get that into it. Also being set in old timey Hollywood I was expecting to hob nob it with fancy movie stars, and plots evolving the movie industry but there is only one or two case's where that happens. Then there are Cole's war flashbacks and it slowly reveal what happened to him, but it's not until the very end of the game that we get the "big reveal" and at that point I had stopped caring.

The Final last all out ending: Why is there mobster in the underground river place, and how did they get there before me? Also is it just me or did the pyro guy get a lot bigger and the very end. Before when we saw him i swore he was this skinny dude, then all of a sudden he got huge.

all my moaning aside this stuff is mostly minor things, but the real meat and potatoes of solving mysteries I loved, so check this game out it's something different.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 07:56:08 pm »
The difference between doubt and lie is pretty infuriating, and then you get people who make doubt/lie faces all the damn time because their default face looks like they've got a steel rod 6 inches up their arse. Also, you can only hit civilians when you aren't trying to.   >:(

Still, it's pretty goshdarn awesome!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 04:42:41 am »
The difference between doubt and lie is simple as it s just if you can prove the lie or not.

Offline Digipi13

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »
I understand be keeping track of you.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo