Poll

Should we start with the Gump prototype?

Yes
5 (62.5%)
No
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: You Guide What is to be My New Critter!  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
You Guide What is to be My New Critter!
« on: October 19, 2010, 05:26:35 pm »
Raz is returning, friends, with a reconfigured attitude and perspective! I'm looking to help bolster the Creature Corner once more, this time using only a creature, but this one shall have your influence! Look upon the poll, vote, and decide the form and fate of my creation!

Our Homeworld(s?)

Planet Type: Two Frozen Worlds Orbiting Each Other
Atmosphere: Automatically a Terran Nitrogen/Oxygen

The Stellar System

0-Sol-Like Star(Chosen by me to maintain a relation to Earth)
1-Rocky-Medium-Lava Hell
2-Rocky-Tiny-Lava Hell
3-Rocky-Massive-Rocky, Leaning Lava Hell
4-Rocky-Tiny-Rocky, Earth-like Terrestrial World
//-Massive Asteroid Belt
5-Gas Giant-Large
//-Large Asteroid Belt
6&7-Rocky-Medium(Homeworld)-Frozen World
//-Medium Asteroid Belt
8-Gas Giant-Massive
9-Gas Giant-Tiny
10-Gas Giant-Tiny
11-Gas Giant-Large
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 08:23:44 pm by Raz »

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
Re: You Guide What is to be My New Critter!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:35:01 pm »
Frozen Moon. I expect Europans. :D

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 05:51:54 pm »
Frozen worlds orbiting each other! Let's set this up for an icy tango!
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 07:12:04 pm »
Due to tiebreaker decision because I want to get rolling to the next vote and Two Frozen Worlds coincides with both Dr. Oct and Clarke...

Two Frozen Worlds Orbiting Each Other Wins!

Their atmospheres are automatically like that of Earth's(Nitrogen/Oxygen), due mostly to the fact I don't want to deal too much with the possibilities of exotic biology.

Check the first post for the next vote options, or just look at the poll!

Whoops forgot to unlock the poll. Fixed now...

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 07:29:51 pm »
I think you should use Massive size.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 08:32:18 pm »
Medium wins, once more because I want to get this ball rolling.

Now, I have used a random number generator to pick between 2(2 being our minimum due to having 2 planets already) and 15 planets/asteroid belts, and it picked 14. Our star system shall be chock full of planets/asteroid belts it seems!

Moving on, the generator will be used to select weighted possibilities for each planet to be either a terrestrial or gas giant, its size, and possible climate and the result is;

0-Sol-Like Star(Chosen by me to maintain a relation to Earth)
1-Rocky-Medium-Lava Hell
2-Rocky-Tiny-Lava Hell
3-Rocky-Massive-Rocky, Leaning Lava Hell
4-Rocky-Tiny-Rocky, Earth-like Terrestrial World
5-Rocky-Massive-Was to Be Rocky Leaning Frozen World, Never Formed Because of Planet 6's Gravity, becoming a Massive Asteroid Belt
6-Gas Giant-Large
7-Rocky-Large-Was to Be Frozen World, Never Formed Because of Planet 6's Gravity, becoming a Large Asteroid Belt
8&9-Rocky-Medium(Homeworld)-Frozen World
10-Rocky-Medium-Was To Be Frozen World, Never Formed Because of Planet 11's Gravity, becoming a Medium Asteroid Belt
11-Gas Giant-Massive
11-Gas Giant-Tiny
13-Gas Giant-Tiny
14-Gas Giant-Large

As you can see, our homeworld(s?) is(are?) nestled in what is primarily a massive stellar asteroid belt caused by the surrounding Gas Giants, barely saved from destruction by the two rocky worlds that never quite made it. Consequently, our homeworld is the farthest rocky world from the star. Interestingly, the next closest extant rocky world is similar to Earth.

Apparent correlation: It appears that Planet 3 achieved its size by stealing material from Planets 2 and 4, which are Tiny.

Ultimately, with asteroid belts factored in, the stellar system contains 11 planets.

Now, on to more important stuff other than planet development. I'll be working on a map of the world(s), which will be interesting considering there won't be any liquid oceans, at least not on the surfaces.

Check the first post for the explanation of voting options.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:48:13 pm »
We need a Hard-Shelled creature. It's the only way...
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 01:13:06 pm »
We need a Hard-Shelled creature. It's the only way...
:I

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 03:59:28 pm »
We must be flying soft skinned beings.
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:18:42 pm »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 04:27:26 pm »
I've finally finished the maps of the Alpha planet, a name which will change once the civilizations begin to advance.

Topographical Only

(click for enlarged picture, and click again to zoom in)

Topographical Plus Geothermal Vents and Major Melt-water Rivers

(click for enlarged picture, and click again to zoom in)

An Explanation of Colors:

Black-Signifies the massive ocean trench that almost encircles the Alpha planet. At its bottom, the crust is only a few meters thick, with eruptions constantly occuring.

Dark Blue-Signifies the deep ocean, where geothermal vents are present.

Medium Blue-Signifies the middle ocean, where temperatures aren't as hot as the deep ocean, mostly because the heat from the vents and trench disperses throughout the ocean.

Light Blue-Signifies the upper ocean, where temperatures are significantly colder, and where the near-global ice sheet begins. The thickness of the ice sheet on the ocean is at least 2 km in almost every area. Also signifies melt-water rivers, which are caused by the extreme heat of Alpha's volcanoes melting the ice. This steaming water then cuts its way to the beneath the ice sheet, and then on to the ocean. Millions upon millions of years of melt-water flowing has created many rivers, and forced back the permafrost from the river tunnels.

Grays-Signify elevation and how present the global ice sheet is. Beyond the ocean, the sheet covers most of the lowlands, but its thickness narrows more and more as the elevation rises, mostly due to Alpha's unusually hot crust, a product of an over-active mantle. The darker the gray, the less present ice is, and the higher the elevation. Where the gray is darkest, no ice is present, due to the nine massive volcanoes that dot Alpha's surface.

Red-Signifies intense heat, magma, lava, geothermal vents, etc. On the surface, the pools of red signifies one of the nine super volcanoes of Alpha, where temperatures are always abnormally high for Alpha, and lava is almost always visible, or at least just a few meters beneath the steaming surface.

So there you have it, Alpha's surface/ocean! Still looking for creature trait votes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:07:41 pm by Raz »

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 07:08:16 pm »
Ok so I changed my mind and it's split between Land-Based Hard-Shelled, Air-Based Hard-Shelled, and Air-Based Soft-Skinned. I'll draw up a few basics for each type. I mean produce some ideas.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:25:35 pm by Raz »

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 07:27:30 pm »
Am I allowed to change my vote? If so, I switch to Air-Based Hard-Shelled.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 07:29:59 pm »
Air based hard-shelled on a mars-type world. There aren't any macroscopic completely air-living fauna on our globe, why should there be on one in which much harsher conditions exist?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 08:28:08 pm »
They're closer to avians actually. I don't really believe in the concept of a completely air-borne macro organism if it doesn't live on a gas giant.

I'm still going to present a few ideas for each one, then everyone can vote again and perhaps we'll go through a few rounds until we get a winner.

Starting Creature Idea Options!

Keep in mind these are only votes for the general idea. We'll vote a few more times, then the passage of time will enable modifications.

First Round Creature Possibilities

Land-Based Hard-Shelled

"Lil' Dragon"
-The Lil' Dragon is a small, unimposing, and incredibly dangerous pack hunter. Its hardened shell can take a severe beating, and its immensing powerful jaws can crush many of the toughest shells and nuts. But these qualities aren't what make the Lil' Dragon as dangerous as hell(pun intended). The Lil' Dragon, in a process involving the electrolysis of water, providing the hydrogen to organically synthesize hydrocarbons, hydrocarbons which are then shot out of a secondary opening near the mouth with tremendous force by specialized muscles, which also trigger an electrical ignition in the path of the hydrocarbons, which is supplied by the same process that creates the electrical current to electrolyze the water, and this electrical current ignites the stream of hydrocarbons, essentially creating an organic flamethrower. Unfortunately, the process to create the fuel takes a while, and does require quite a bit of energy.

A nice sideaffect of this flame effect is that Lil' Dragons have the potential to melt their way through ice if necessary. Another is that a Lil' Dragon doesn't need some sticks to start a fire, or, say, melt low-melting point metal.

To handle the heat of the flames, Lil' Dragons are very heat resistant. This of course means they can handle both extreme cold, and rather high heat.

"Forrest Gump"

-A Forrest Gump is similar to a Lil' Dragon, but it doesn't breath fire. Instead, it has incredible endurance, a stronger exoskeleton, immensely stronger jaws, and powerful, clawed legs that can take a Forrest Gump to cheetah-fast speeds in seconds. A Forrest Gump is a very organized pack hunter that uses its tremendous speed to run down anything unlucky enough to look appetizing.

A sideaffect of such powerful and clawed legs is that a Forrest Gump can easily tunnel through ice.

"Wannabe Lisk"

-The Wannabe Lisk is smaller than a Lil' Dragon, and similar in structure. However, instead of firing fire, it fires hardened bio-projectiles from the opening near its mouth. The projectiles are grown internally, and compressed hydrogen gas is ignited in the firing chamber to unleash the deadly barbed projectile.

Unlike the Lil' Dragon, the Wannabe Lisk is only heat resistant within the organic firing chamber. However, it does have the great advantage of having access to a longer range weapon.

Air-Based Hard-Shelled

"Fatty From Above"

-The Fatty is a winged hard-shell, and a big one at that. Four powerful wings take it high into the air, from which it uses its very tough shell, combined with gravity and the power of its own wings, to fall from above and literally crush its prey beneath its body. Brutish, but effective.

"Needle Nose"

-Similar to the Fatty in technique, but far slimmer. It utilizes six sleek wings instead of four, attaining great speed combined with gravity to use its incredibly hard needle-like horn to pierce prey.

"BZZZBZZZBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ"

-The BZZZ can be incredibly annoying. The sound of their wings flapping back and forth incredibly quickly like a hummingbird creates a huge buzzing sound. But that's beside the point. The main idea of the BZZZ is that it is a typical pack hunting creature. It has no other particular advantages other than flight, a tough shell, strong jaws, and some claws. However, its level of organization is uncanny, with rudimentary communication between BZZZs already occuring.

Accepting suggestions, but I'll generally work by these ideas. Also, I didn't feel a soft-skinned flyer would work out too well... oh well.