Author Topic: The Molybdyesi  (Read 7202 times)

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
The Molybdyesi
« on: October 14, 2010, 10:18:42 am »

So, a tiny little facts thingy. Any suggestions or critiques? Let me know.

(Thread currently under construction.)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:22:41 am by Dr.Octagonapus »

Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Re: Molybd- I can't remember how to pronounce that, either. (Needs stuff.)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 08:28:19 pm »
Biology

The Molybdyesi, being arboreal creatures, are small, standing nine inches tall on their hind legs. They possess flaps of skin betwixt their legs which allow them to glide for short distances between trees. Their diet consists of small, arboreal insects and their larvae, as well as tree sap and a sort of honey-like substance they call "hluii." However, most races will never hear a Molybdyesi speak, as their need to hide from the predators of the ground instilled in their ancestors a unique way of keeping quiet- they are the only species on their planet capable of ultrasound communication. However, they can only communicate in ultrasound. There is little red or orange on their planet, so the Molybdyesi developed a sight range that goes from yellow to low levels of ultraviolet light. Every  seven years, each group in a triad of trees will meet for a mass-spawning event in which all breeding pairs possible from the number of participants meet. The infant mortality rate among the Molybdyesi is quite high, due to the environment and the dangers of jumping from tree to tree. The Molybdyesi also are suceptible at young ages to a strange disease that fills their beaks and intestines with quickly-hardening mucus, thus suffocating or starving them to death. In fact, only one in one hundred and thirteen Molybdyesi survive to physical maturity, and the oldest ever seen was a mere 28 Galactic Standard Years old.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:06:11 am by Dr.Octagonapus »
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 08:28:46 pm »
History

Long ago, the Molybdyesi lived in complete peace on their home planet, Khmet. But nothing was heard about them from anyone until the invasion of...

The Marauders
No-one knows where the Marauders came from. However, it is known that they do have a name in their language. It is possible that they were Nameless slave armies, or maybe they were a failed experiment. Whatever the case, the technology applied to their transports was not used on their weapons. This resulted in a hilarious excercise in futiliy as the bronze-wielding Marauders learned why the Molybdyesi's ancestors moved to the trees. it was nighttime, and the invaders had been destroyed. Those still alive the next day left the system. No-one is sure of where they went, or what they were. It is here that known Molybdyesi history begins.

Timeline of Events in Known Molybdyesi History
200 Years Before Fire: The Marauders are driven from Khmet by the local wildlife.
150 Years Before Fire: The Molybdyesi begin to form small tribal groups once again after the chaos that the Marauders brought. Ruins from before this period suggest that civilization had appeared at least once before then.
75 Years Before Fire: The First Great Scarring. A plague almost drives the Molybdyesi extinct.
25 Years Before Fire: The Molybdyesi begin to show signs of regainingn their footing, as the first Molybdyesi art appears at this time.
Year 0: Fire is first harnessed in the north. There is also a large migration southward as millions of years of climate change reach their destination.
1,320 Years Since Fire: The first example of writing in the Molybdyesi's main habitation zone. This coincides with the re-introduction of domestication of large insects.
2,570 Years Since Fire: The Molybdyesi state of Olliar (Oh-lee-arr) is formed. It also hosts the first of many culinary trials to come.
4,720 Years Since Fire: The Second Great Scarring. Law and order collapse as panicked, plague-stricken groups flee east and west across the continents.
7,280 Years Since Fire: The New Olliaric Empire is founded to restore order. However, other states appear near this date, such as Viltor and Cullo. The island city-state of Per'aa, in perticular, wields vast influence.
10,440 Years Since Fire: A meteor strike leaves a crater on a small penninsula, and the aftereffects kill 1/10 of Khmet's population. Per'aa, however, seems unaffected.
17,440 Years Since Fire: Per'aa has acheieved world domination by this point without even a single skirmish.
...*
73,211 Years Since Fire: The Present Day.

*Indicates a largely unknown period of time from which few records, if any, survive.

(Need any tweaking? Let me know, 'kay?)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:21:21 am by Dr.Octagonapus »

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 08:30:01 pm »
Culture

The Molybdyesi hold food and art in the highest importance. In fact, it is the best chefs who are often selected to lead. Luckily for them, the Molybdyesi have never faced an actual threat in their history. Thus, they can spend their time on making extravagant dishes to consume and creating glazed tableware and pottery to store and handle said dishes.

However, the Molybdyesi are not pacifists; rather, they are cowards. Not a single one has had it in its heart to fight, and thus, those who find themselves stranded on the ground are doomed. There are many races who would exploit such a creature.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:38:19 am by Dr.Octagonapus »

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 08:35:46 pm »
Moll-ib-dee-ess-eye sounds about right.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Well, I guess if I'm essentially coming back, I should probably get to work on these guys.

Also, I may revamp the Peks at some point.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile

[/quote]

Some art from a14gt.

All hail a14gt.

Offline UFO King

• Dirk the Daring
  • Quotes sigged: 2
    • View Profile
Their government is a meritocracy...
And the best chef leads. Politics have never been so delicious.
I came, I saw, I went back to bed.

Offline Lookatroopa

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
    • The Fan-Ball Wiki
Nice drawing. What color are they?

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Nice drawing. What color are they?

Beige, actually. The tail feathers, however, are a pale blue.

Their government is a meritocracy...
And the best chef leads. Politics have never been so delicious.

Indeed.

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 08:04:33 pm »
Well, should I try making myself a new race? I've been thinking one up for the last two months that I think suites my style, hopefully.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline Kitkat

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 09:25:15 pm »
I still think we need to move to Kosmosis. I have a story planned out and everything.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino and The Ni'Calls
(Or don't these are old and embarrasing)

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 11:15:16 pm »
Depends, is there still any posting there?
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline Crazen

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 11:36:25 pm »
I still think we need to move to Kosmosis. I have a story planned out and everything.
I would be up for it.
I think it failed because a story had been all worked out if I recall, it involved some big 3rd party evil alien (all roles should be filled by people, except perhaps sacrificial lambs) plot that ruined the whole point. I'm not saying your necessarily doing some contrived plot that standardizes everything, but I'm saying we should not do that.

I really wanted to do something more about the characters (races are characters) and less about the backdrop, which is why I quit.
the characters should be us. the universe should conform around the inhabitants, not the other way around. trying to force a mold sucks.

sorry this is sorta rambly and out of place. I was gonna write about the creature but then I saw this.

so what is with the webbing between their legs? is it just to make them look foreign? I hope not...
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 01:15:45 pm »

so what is with the webbing between their legs? is it just to make them look foreign? I hope not...

Nope. Gliding from tree to tree.