Author Topic: Matters of importance  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
Matters of importance
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:47:41 am »
Recently I've wondered: "Why is it that whenever I dismiss the value of one particular thing in my life, it ultimately leads into me dismissing the value of all other things as well?" I've tried to find the things in my life that are unnecessary and could do without, so that after eliminating all those things only the important things would be left. But this has only led to the realisation that nothing in my life actually is quite that important. Nothing is so important that I could say: "Even if all else fails, but as long as I have this, my life is worth living."

Anyone else ever thought about this? Do you think there is anything you personally need in order to live a good life? What are some of the things that are important to you in your life?

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
Re: Matters of importance
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:19:35 pm »
I've tried to find the things in my life that are unnecessary and could do without, so that after eliminating all those things only the important things would be left. But this has only led to the realisation that nothing in my life actually is quite that important. Nothing is so important that I could say: "Even if all else fails, but as long as I have this, my life is worth living."

GD, have you considered that your reasoning might be flawed? It's possible nothing is important by itself; that it's only in relation to everything else where individual items begin to hold significance.

When you eliminate from your life what you believe to be unessential, you may in fact be taking something away from the items that you're trying to isolate as truly important.
That they don't seem so necessary to you anymore may not be because they were never such in the first place, but because without the full context you had before you can't see their value.

It's even possible the very act of trying to definitively work out what's not important in your life may be a mistaken one, because it will only cover what is not important in your life currently. Life is complex and varied enough that what you don't think you need now may become very special to you later on.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:23:34 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:34:52 pm »
Indeed. What I've come to realise is that things are not important without all the other things that are in my life. If, for example, I decide that visiting this forum isn't really that important to me, that means all the people here aren't important either. And if the people here aren't important, the drawings I've made to show to these people aren't important either. And if those drawings aren't important, nothing else I could draw would be important, either! And so on and so forth. But that just can't be true because I do consider drawing to be very important to me and I do care about some of the people here, too.

I am, however, genuinely interested in what people consider important to them. I don't often hear people talking about things that really matter to them, and I'm interested to hear what some of those things would be. Friends and family? Gun laws? :X And I was also wondering if anyone else has realised through a similar thought process as I, how even the smallest things could matter to them in the big picture.

Offline Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »
My opinion in this is that, you spend all your time "whittling" your life down to the bare essentials, even if you don't realize it. You may not think going on an internet forum is a bare essential, but hey, you should consider everything you want to do essential. If you didn't do it, maybe you'd go crazy or feel alone or just have nothing to do in the evening. I don't know.

So yeah, I guess everything you do in life leans on something else, and I wouldn't try yanking one of those things out and expecting everything else to stay up.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:33:55 pm »
The only things that are essential, are the things you need for survival. Above that, there are varying degrees of usefulness and comfort.
One might completely discard all forms of videogames and music as they are 'not important', but without some form of entertainment or an interesting way to pass time, you would find yourself often bored, and it would impact severely on your mental/emotional wellbeing. On its own, nothing is greatly important to you, except the ability to keep a roof over your head, the ability to sustain yourself, and to hold a job. Yet without common entertainment, your stress would elevate greatly. Without common luxuries, your ability to maintain your health or hold/obtain work is harder. Being able to survive easily and happily without a great many possessions just means you aren't very materialistic, and that isn't such a bad thing. Or perhaps you are only just realising how strange the pursuit of material things are, when we chase them so rigorously yet they are so far from vital?

The lesson learned here, is context.

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 07:20:57 pm »
You should get religion. It's worth a shot, right?
Worked for me.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 07:42:47 pm »
 :o Kishmond said the R-word. BANNED FOREVER.
We don't want any flamewars, or, all things forbid, flame crusades going on here, m'kay?
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 08:02:04 pm »
We don't want any flamewars, or, all things forbid, flame crusades going on here, m'kay?

I would have hoped we wouldn't need reminding.

PS I'm serious.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Rysworld

• Autoduel Mechanic
  • hhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 08:46:32 pm »
Sorry, that joke was in poor taste.

It's deleted now.

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 09:01:22 pm »
Everything you do, on some level, has importance to you, or else you wouldn't do it. Eliminating less "important" or "essential" things from your life is pointless, as nothing holds any value to you, unless it is assigned such value by you.

Offline Clarke

• Jungle Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 08:11:09 am »
You should get religion. It's worth a shot, right?
Worked for me.
I'd recommend Taoism.