Author Topic: What Spore Could Have Been...  (Read 12652 times)

Offline Watcher in the Puddle

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Ad infinitum
    • View Profile
What Spore Could Have Been...
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:28:45 pm »
Yes we all love spore but when we see our cartoon cell our rigid cities and and no DAM aquatic stage, don't you just love to dream about what it could? If not (BUT OUT OF MY TOPIC!) if yes, post your ideas, images and whatever to imagine... wait for it...SUPER SPORE, no thats crap... :P :P :P

LONG LIVE THE SPOREDOM :D

In a game like this you cannot win, only lose more slowly

Offline Person21

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
As a wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Ad infinitum
    • View Profile
Re: What Spore Could Have Been...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »
LOL! ;D

but i'd watch it all...again...

gec05

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:31:36 pm »
Oh, isn't this one of those "beating a dead horse" topics that the official Spore forums have about 100 times annually?

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:10:19 pm »
When the forum was alive, yes. Though right now it is just a floating corpse. How about we let somebody get some use out of the forum?

gec05

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:12:22 pm »
Eh, whatev...

I think Spore could have been cool beans.

Offline Kitkat

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 12:06:14 am »
Online would create a whole slew of problems, but it also presents a whole new level of engagement into the game. No Player-To-Player interactions was what killed Spore for me, after a while.
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino
And The Ni'Calls

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Pack M.U.L.E.
  • Where did this fish come from?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 01:39:45 am »
When the forum was alive, yes. Though right now it is just a floating corpse. How about we let somebody get some use out of the forum?

Wait, I've been considering going onto the Spore forums and you say its dead? I say it confusing like crazy.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Weird City: Add a inhabitant!, Add some industry!

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 02:59:17 am »
Well, Spore:General at least. I've never gone near the roleplaying subforums and only visited the content subforum once. :P

gec05

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 07:39:30 pm »
I was referring to the OFFICIAL Spore forums at Maxis' website, not the one here at Gaming Steve. This place was doomed the moment the game was released.

Offline Lush City

• SunDog Pilot
  • Get those blasted Power Rangers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »
Why exactly?

Offline Kitkat

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Beep Boop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:41:04 pm »
People just... stopped caring...
Goddamnit kitkat, you make me look late
Come check out The Bino
And The Ni'Calls

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Pack M.U.L.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 09:51:09 pm »
I was talking about the the official Spore forums. Looks confusing from what I saw.
In space, no one can hear you scream unless your transmitting it on the right radio frequency.

Offline Gnoll

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 12:06:16 am »
Personally, I think that Galactic Adventured could have been executed a lot better. I mean, who wouldn't want to PvP with their Captains? Also, it should have added a water stage and the option for entirely airborne life. I mean, entirely airborne life exists, right? The sky would end up being much like an ocean, with photosynthetic bacteria at the bottom of the food web.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Phoenix Down

• Galaxian Guru
  • Don't feed the plants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 02:07:56 am »
The other day in science class I was looking at these cells under a microscope and wishing that the cell stage had been like that.
A Song I Admire:We'll have tomorrow, trust me it's true.  We'll have tomorrow, we'll get through...  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2h8AXm9dqo

A Song I Composed:Soon it will be my time...  http://www.mediafire.com/?c6ahalmxbtu625x

Offline BlagStar

• Wizard of Wor
  • Blagging your Blag since Blaggity Blag
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2010, 09:27:04 am »
Personally, I think that Galactic Adventured could have been executed a lot better. I mean, who wouldn't want to PvP with their Captains? Also, it should have added a water stage and the option for entirely airborne life. I mean, entirely airborne life exists, right? The sky would end up being much like an ocean, with photosynthetic bacteria at the bottom of the food web.

It was GALACTIC ADVENTURES, not 'Amphibian Dreams' or 'Airhead Adventures'.

Offline GroxGlitch

• Crossbow Sharpshooter
  • Ahhhh....nothing quite like the basics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 10:22:06 am »
Ok....
It's called an EXPANSION PACK. And for an EXPANSION PACK, it didn't EXPAND the game all that much. That was his point. They could have touched upon the other phases.

Offline Gnoll

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 10:31:38 am »
Indeed. I mean, PvP with Captains on a planet full of Epics? Who wouldn't want that?
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Ultramarine

• Super Mario Bro.
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 01:09:44 pm »
Also, it should have added a water stage and the option for entirely airborne life. I mean, entirely airborne life exists, right?

The main issue with both of those ideas is the fluidity of controls when dealing with 3 dimensions. Sure it seemed quite possible in the GDC 05 demo, but it was only briefly used so the full extent of the stage (the pros and cons) weren't shown. It's not an impossible concept and I personally really wanted to see underwater environments, but I'm pretty sure it was an issue with the devs. Another possible reason could be budget cuts or votes from the Spore team vetoing the idea. As for sky cities and what not I guess it was thrown out due to programming issues or the lack of realism. Eh, I can't really speak for them so those are just my best guesses.

And yes there are airborne bacteria, more or less within the clouds IE water droplets but as for entirely airborne life I'm not so sure. That might actually be situated in the realm of science fiction actually.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 02:25:27 pm by Ultramarine »
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇“)人(“∇`)人(`∇“)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline BlagStar

• Wizard of Wor
  • Blagging your Blag since Blaggity Blag
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 09:48:44 pm »
Indeed. I mean, PvP with Captains on a planet full of Epics? Who wouldn't want that?

That would require online play.  >:(

Offline Galactic-Warrior

• Pack M.U.L.E.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 10:27:09 pm »
As for sky cities and what not I guess it was thrown out due to programming issues or the lack of realism.

Lack of realism? Nearly everything people create in Spore lacks realism.

Offline Ultramarine

• Super Mario Bro.
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 10:52:40 pm »
Well I guess I couldn't find the right term ¬_¬
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇“)人(“∇`)人(`∇“)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Uroboros

• SunDog Pilot
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2010, 02:57:23 am »
They didn't even add any form of conversation branches. No cutscenes. Single linear objectives only.
Sky cities and underwater cities are already very possible, but are held back largely by a single thing : NPCs do not recognise anything but the planet as a walkable surface. Though I say 'very possible', the curve of the planet makes construction a collosal pain at heights, and forces all caves or underground sections to be created manually. All items you created for the sole purpose of a 'prop' in an adventure were still spawned into the main game as vehicles and buildings and the like...

A great system in base, but once again, entirely bare-bones and barely built upon.
I hate it when good things go to waste. First the Spore base system, then Galactic Adventures turned shallow due to engine restraints / oversights, and then All Points Bulletin. "Potential" seems to be a keyword for "will die without realising greatness."

Offline Crazen

• Duck Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2010, 04:54:46 am »
yea, its basicaly just the bare minimum they could have done. and nobody can say they couldnt have done better. there are no technological limits that they had.

for example: starcraft 2. not only is it not a wireframe, it actualy has more meaningful customizations than spore.
Quote from: SimplyNecro
No capitalization......

Crazen!

Offline Yokto

• After Burner Airman
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2010, 08:16:40 am »
Galactic Adventured was probably a bigger miss in potential then the original Spore. What they should have done is make the best game editor you could making it simple to use and dynamic. But what we got is a very shallow editor. Some people make wonders with it but still the levels feels very much the same. I wonder what the design meetings for the expiation pack where.

They probably should have looked at smiler game editors or complex map editors like Warcrafts 3 map editor and see what is needed. Then go a step beyond that to innovate. Of course the bar to reach now is the Star Craft 2 map editor.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
I got Dyslexia, deal with it.

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • Ad infinitum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 11:09:56 am »
Holy crap, people are actually posting in this... wha..