Author Topic: Halo: Reach!  (Read 15345 times)

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
Re: Halo: Reach!
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2010, 07:18:26 pm »
The old-fashioned way, with rockets and gravity hammers.
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2010, 09:04:18 pm »
Or that Armor Lock crap. Hate that junk. About to splatter some hapless moron and dammit-armor-lock.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2010, 04:28:39 am »
Drop a 'nade at his feet so it goes off the moment the armor wears off. Best thing is they are stuck immobile while they have a grenade right next to them and have to watch as their inevitable death looms.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2010, 01:24:09 pm »
Yeah that's pretty fun. Armor Lock is a giant "Kill me" to any infantry...

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2010, 03:11:01 pm »
I think it's meant to be protection against grenades when there is no where to run to. Still anyone worth there salt (Basically if you are better than me, which is everyone.) will still pop you in the head the moment it wears off.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2010, 06:50:01 pm »
It's basically protection against any usually instant-killing thing like a splatter or rocket launcher or nades. It's much less useful against lower caliber stuff like your basic spartan...

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2010, 04:43:40 am »
Any tips on how not to suck at multi-player. I have emptied an entire clip seems like I only tickled them then have them kill me before I reload. I swear it feels like everyone has more health than me.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2010, 11:29:33 am »
Use better guns, aim for the head or chest, keep moving, and try not to suck.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2010, 01:18:13 pm »
General rules I follow, and I usually get a high if not top spot in games are:

1. Radar! I know so many fools who don't check their radar that get my knife in their back. You want to become good at using peripheral vision to notice your radar, especially during firefights.

2. Awareness! Awareness is an extension of radar, but it's far more important. Your radar only measures so far away, distances which don't cover long or most medium ranges. Awareness is even more important in games without radar, so you need to constantly look around, and listen. The game has a number of audio cues that indicate someone is approaching, be it steps or hard breathing in the case of sprinters.

3. Fight on your terms! Don't go rushing into a battle you aren't likely to win, especially if it's in the open. More often than not, they've got a teammate that will help them out at range, a teammate you probably don't even know is there until you notice the damage on your screen. Another aspect of fighting on your terms is that you can lure your enemy to where you have the advantage, especially in close quarters if you have a closer-range weapon. Typically, any enemy which sees you, in most game types, is going to proceed to hunt you down. Many of these enemies are fools and will saunter around a corner, only to receive a shotgun to the body and a melee.

4. Know your enemy! Learn the different weapons of the game, understand the different armor abilities. If you see your enemy has a shotgun, do everything within your power to avoid close range combat, because you will die very quickly. If your enemy is sniping, attempt to engage in close range combat. If you catch a sniper off guard, typically they're going to fire their full clip of 4 rounds almost randomly, and cause little to no damage to you. Even if you don't kill them, and they get you, you've caused them to lose an entire clip, which can yield 4 kills instead of 1 kill if they're good, at a loss of 3 kills. As another note, Elites and Spartans often have different available powers, and different starting equipment, it is important to know both.

5. Know your power! Understand that every armor ability is not useful in every situation. Active Camo won't do anything to help you if you've already been spotted in the open and are being shot at, but it's jammer ability is very useful, especially for organized assaults, even if you don't slow down and make use of the actual camo. Evasion can easily, easily get you killed by flying off the map if you're not careful. Armor Lock takes a good deal of experience to master, and it definitely isn't often useful. Sprinting is usually a good all-around power, but it won't always save you. Jet packs are useful but you're a sitting duck once your enemy realizes you can only fly(and jet packs are extremely easy to see due to their bulky backpack effect on Spartans). Drop shields are extremely useful in tight situations, able to heal teammates' and your health, while temporarily shielding from damage. Holograms are iffy, and easy to identify, I don't recommend them except for say Snipers game types.

7. Trickery is encouraged! Elude and deceive your enemy whenever possible. Similar to fighting on your terms, feigning a retreat can draw an enemy forward to release a plasma grenade to the body. Creativity is encouraged. A few days ago, I used my active camo ability to jam the radars of three pursuing enemies while I ran up a tower. I then jumped down, assassinated one, and blew the other two away, all the while I hearing their yells over the close-coms.

8. Communicate, dammit! Don't be shot at and not tell your teammates where it's coming from. If you don't tell your team a sniper is across the map, they're usually too dumb to see the "x has sniped y" or to look around, giving the sniper a few free kills. Make that sniper work for his kills, dammit. There have been far too many times where I have, as the sniper, simply annihilated a team because they wouldn't communicate where I was, until I simply ran out of ammo. On another communication point, if you're close enough to your enemy, they will hear you speaking. Shut your mouth unless you want them to know you're there. One another aspect of this is not to blow your teammate's cover. I have many a time been patiently sneaking up on an enemy sniper or team, and some fool idiot goes running by and alerts them to our presence by appearing on their radar.

These are the only ones I can think of at the moment. Most of it common sense, some of it is learned through experience, all of it means knowledge is power.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2010, 01:33:33 pm »
Excellent, excellent advice Raz.  Rules I myself usually follow.  Strategy wise, I find I prefer closecombat fighting.  It is very rare that I lose in a melee fight, simply because I move fast and in unpredictable fashions, keep tabs on my enemy's location, and make good use of cover when approaching.

If closing in to an opponent, remember that surpressant fire is your friend.  Also, if you have a sword, people won't let you get close if they can help it.  So charge them with an assault rifle out and only switch to the sword once in striking distance.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2010, 02:13:58 pm »
Sword really is amazing when properly used. I had a field day once on Sword Base where my kill count was in the 20s while the next highest on my team was like 10. And I used to hate Sword Base back in the beta... Now it's a pretty good map if you're not playing CTF.

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:19 pm »
I dont have a mic so telling people where snipers are is a bit hard. Although I have noticed I seem to be one of the few people who makes use of the radar to spot when I'm being followed, sometimes I'll miss it if I'm distracted because I'm fighting someone in front of me but then at that point it was 2 on 1 I had no chance to begin with. My biggest problem is emptying a clip and the other guy lives through it most of which is torso damage. Often I get the drop on someone but even with the advantage of firing on someone before they see me I don't always get the kill.

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2010, 11:53:24 pm »
Excellent, excellent advice Raz.  Rules I myself usually follow.  Strategy wise, I find I prefer closecombat fighting.  It is very rare that I lose in a melee fight, simply because I move fast and in unpredictable fashions, keep tabs on my enemy's location, and make good use of cover when approaching.

If closing in to an opponent, remember that surpressant fire is your friend.  Also, if you have a sword, people won't let you get close if they can help it.  So charge them with an assault rifle out and only switch to the sword once in striking distance.

i actually prefer to pop some shots at people, run into a corner or tunnel, pop out the sword as soon as i see them on motion tracker, and strike.

highly effective

Offline Gnoll

• Track and Field Jock
  • Grrrrr...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2010, 08:38:47 pm »
So, I got the Mountain Dew promotional cap...
who wants a free code for Halo Reach?
Who are you again and why in the world would you expect anything resembling rationality or civility in youtube comments?

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2010, 10:16:29 pm »
If free code=free game? Yes. If I already need to have the game...nope.